Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Curse of Oak Island

Myles

Also, while we are on the topic. Have they ever reached the bottom yet? Why is this Excovating privately funded? If weird old stuff is coming out of there, then why hasn't a proper museum owned excavation team been put on the job?

If this would have been done right from the start instead of just being done by private citizens, this would be done by now..

Because it is private land.

There is also a specific law in Canada regarding digging up such treasure sites.

Plus all attempts have been small time. Any moderate sized corporation would just coffer dam that section of the island and dig off all the dirt down to the bedrock. Just look when a skyscraper goes up. They remove enough soil to be like 300 feet long, 300 feet wide and 60 feet deep. Digging such a hole is not a problem. It is simply a matter of money.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Looks like there is a season two. And starts this week.

http://www.history.com/shows/the-curse-of-oak-island

The search had gone dormant, but last year, Rick and Marty Lagina, two brothers from Michigan with a life-long interest in the mystery, renewed the efforts to discover the legendary treasure.

For them, finding the 17th century Spanish coin in Oak Island’s drained swamp near the so-called “Mercy Point” last summer was a game-changer. Now, Marty, the skeptic, has real evidence that may make his multi-million dollar investment pay off. Along with Rick, the true believer, they return this year re-energized to risk even more in search of the ultimate answers that lie beneath Oak Island. They will systematically hunt all the major areas of interest–starting with the swamp where the Spanish coin was found. They will redouble their efforts, bringing in even more of the latest technology, top experts and the most sophisticated machinery that Oak Island has ever seen. They also have their sights set on learning the entire truth behind the allegedly man-made Smith’s Cove, getting to the bottom of Dan Blankenship’s 10-X shaft, and even breaking ground in the original Money Pit.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, if there ever was a show, where I really hope those involved would succeed, it would be this one.

It would be mighty sweet if they find something/anything down there, so this mystery can be "checked off in the book", at least.

Then there is the Voynich manuscript...... ;)

• Like 2

Has anyone seen this?

I must have missed the first episode, but I caught episode #2 last night.

Nothing great. A couple brothers, Marty Lagina and Rick Lagina, from Michigan have purchased the island and are working with Dan and Dave Blankenship, permanent residents of the island. Since I've always been intrigued by this mystery, I'll watch the show.

They throw allot of stupid stuff in there, and they don't seem to have an expert on the crew.

Personally, I don't think there is anything to Oak Island.

This is well worth watching.

• Like 1

This is well worth watching.

This story has been muddied up so much, it's hard to know what to believe.

They keep finding little things in the show which make me wonder if they were planted.

Spanish coins here and there. Coconut fibers. Rock with 6 sided star carved into it.

I'll keep watching the show. It's not too bad.

• Like 1

I watched the fist season of only 5 episodes. I am not sure how many episodes the second season has. I also hope they come up with a big find.

Oak Island is a legend, perpetuated by those who fall for the myth that pirates buried treasure.

Oak Island is a legend, perpetuated by those who fall for the myth that pirates buried treasure.

Probably correct, but there are still some mysteries surrounding it.

It's also one of those that many young folk enjoy and remember fondly. I do. I remember this getting me excited with all the thoughts of what it could be.

Unfortunately I don't think there is anything there, but if people want to spend money searching, I have no issues. I like to watch.

• Like 1

Damn, if there ever was a show, where I really hope those involved would succeed, it would be this one.

It would be mighty sweet if they find something/anything down there, so this mystery can be "checked off in the book", at least.

Then there is the Voynich manuscript...... ;)

I hear you. At this point I don't much care what's down there, I just want to see it..

There are lots of cray theories about what's buried there. Some say the Ark of the Covenant, some say a giant manora(Jewish candle thing), Giorgio says Aliens, some say it's Spanish treasure.

Personally, my money says its the final resisting place of Jimmy Haifa...

They have the triangular shaped, man made swamp to be over 100 years older than the so-called money pit. The constructions took over a long period of time, and according to the oral tradition of the local Mi'kmaqs, salve labor was used to do the constructions, including a labyrinth of mines that apparently have yet to be discovered.

As to the triangle swamp. It seemed to me that it is a result of creating the road along the beach, so that the swamp is cut off from the shoreline.

How do you figure? Someone dug that hole, put in those plank landings, put a stone in there with some code carved into it, and even felt it was necessary to protect it with a flood trap...

As ludicrous as the idea that someone did all this to protect a treasure is, it's even more crazy to think someone would do this all for no reason at all..

I watched the first two episode of season two, two days ago. When I woke up this morning, I realised I have seen something akin to the flood trap in my last trip to New Brunswick. They call it aboiteau. I'll quote wikipedia due to laziness, but that's how the locals explained the principle to me.

Aboiteau farming on reclaimed marshland is a labor-intensive method in which earthen dykes are constructed to stop high tides from inundating marshland. A wooden sluice or aboiteau (plural aboiteaux) is then built into the dyke' date=' with a hinged door (clapper valve) that swings open at [/font']low tide to allow fresh water to drain from the farmland but swings shut at high tide to prevent salt water from inundating the fields.[1][2] Aboiteau farming is intimately linked with the story of French Acadian colonization of the shores of Canada's Bay of Fundy in the 17th and 18th centuries.[3] In the Kamouraska region of the St. Lawrence Valley of Quebec, aboiteau diking of salt marshes was closely tied to the modernization of agriculture in the 19th and early 20th centuries.[4]

Here a illustration from the French Wikipedia page, it's written "high tide" and "low tide".

220px-Dam_slit_2D.svg.png

The Wikipedia article only mention Bay of Fundy, but I heard about and saw these in Cap-Pélé, in the Northumberland Strait on the New Brunswick shore, so I wouldn't be surprise if some were build in the Mahone Bay. They say the principle of aboiteau was already in use in Potvin were many the Acadians came from, and before that it was brought there by Dutch ingeneers to drain the marsh in the 16th and 17th centuries.

Back to Oak Island and the Money pit, it wouldn't surprise me if the triangle swamp was made by a disused aboiteau system. And the flood trap could either have been designed after aboiteaux, have been older aboiteaux converted into a flood trap or disused aboiteaux who became a trap when the clappers broke, without the pit diggers even realising their potential as a trap.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

OK, the show is interesting but the narrator has to go. I almost want to mute it because he is so annoying. Almost everything he says is said with a tone that sounds like he's asking a question.

• Like 1

The hype is getting bigger and bigger and I hope they find something more than a few old coins....

• Like 1

The hype is getting bigger and bigger and I hope they find something more than a few old coins....

I just read an interview with one of the producers of the show, he said that they ended up finding something really unusual at the bottom of 10X, a hole that was dug in 1970s, 180ft northeast of the moneypit. I am curious to see what it is, probably nothing crazy.

However, I do disagree with some of the previous posters who said if anything was found, it would be on the news. All of the people involved with the show sign a nondisclosure agreement that if anything is found, they have to keep quiet about it until the show airs. This is something television networks take seriously. Also, since the Island is privately owned, there isn't as high of a chance of people finding out from word of mouth if something was found.

Edited by woodsbooger
  • Like 2

I just read an interview with one of the producers of the show, he said that they ended up finding something really unusual at the bottom of 10X, a hole that was dug in 1970s, 180ft northeast of the moneypit. I am curious to see what it is, probably nothing crazy.

However, I do disagree with some of the previous posters who said if anything was found, it would be on the news. All of the people involved with the show sign a nondisclosure agreement that if anything is found, they have to keep quiet about it until the show airs. This is something television networks take seriously. Also, since the Island is privately owned, there isn't as high of a chance of people finding out from word of mouth if something was found.

Time will tell and I think they only have a few more episodes to go...

• 3 weeks later...

I watched season 2, episode 2 tonight and they mentioned Robert Dunfield had dug the Money Pit down to over 100 feet deep and 100 feet wide. I wondered then what the hell the two brothers could do to top that? If Dunfield didn't find any gold/rune stones/artifacts digging down 100+ feet, then what hope looking around at the surface?

Restall family and Robert Dunfield[edit]

Excavation by the Restall family in the early 1960s ended tragically when four men died after being overcome by fumes in a shaft near the beach. In 1965, Robert Dunfield leased the island and, using a 70-ton digging crane with a clam bucket, dug out the pit area to a depth of 134 feet (41 m) and width of 100 feet (30 m). The removed soil was carefully inspected for artifacts. Transportation of the crane to the island required the construction of a causeway (which still exists) from the western end of the island to Crandall's Point on the mainland two hundred metres away.[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Island

I seriously doubt that the Canadian government will allow for such a large excavation again. And in my opinion, that is the 100% only sure way of going down all the way to where the treasure supposedly is.

• Like 1

I watched season 2, episode 2 tonight and they mentioned Robert Dunfield had dug the Money Pit down to over 100 feet deep and 100 feet wide. I wondered then what the hell the two brothers could do to top that? If Dunfield didn't find any gold/rune stones/artifacts digging down 100+ feet, then what hope looking around at the surface?

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Oak_Island

I seriously doubt that the Canadian government will allow for such a large excavation again. And in my opinion, that is the 100% only sure way of going down all the way to where the treasure supposedly is.

The bold part is interesting. I seem to remember in one episode, the people on the show said they didn't know where the exact location of the original money pit was. If it's been dug 100 ft wide it should be easy to find.

• Like 2

Could it be that the vault lies just outside the 100 ft area?

Could it be that all the worlds lost treasures are buried in the triangle-shaped swamp?

The bold part is interesting. I seem to remember in one episode, the people on the show said they didn't know where the exact location of the original money pit was. If it's been dug 100 ft wide it should be easy to find.

It was dug 100 ft wide awhile back, but then the group ran out of money and they just filled the hole willy nilly.

Yeah, like Woodsbooger said they filled it back in, and so they don't know where the original area of the original hole was. It is somewhere inside that 100 by 100 area, but if the treasure is relatively small, like chests of coins, then they would have to dig up that whole area all over again to find the exact spot.

• Like 1

I'm also from Nova Scotia, and I can verify that there are a tonne of odd things around here that pre date the more commonly believed notions of post Columbus discovery.

There are carvings in rocks in the water that depict ships that look Phonecian or Norse like. There are old stone ruins that were ancient when the lands were first mapped out in the 1600 - 1700s. I myself have found a road up the side of the North Mountain in the Annapolis Valley that has 200 year old trees at the top and bottom, and is referenced by the natives as being built by the old ones (rocks placed on the edges, definitely dug out).

The weather here is usually beautiful with mild winters. It would be easy to say that many seafaring nations could have used our province as a resting point. Heck, the Chinese were said to have settled for a bit in Cape Breton (I have Mic mac friends who share direct words with identical meanings with the Chinese, it's amazing. Not to mention ceremonial dress).

Is the Oak Island treasure, or others, too outlandish to believe in? I don't think so at all. There have been Norse runestones found here, swords and armor. I myself have found a Middle Eastern coin of undetermined date while out hunting.

Terry could be onto something. This province is littered with mystery and it's a great place to explore for it. There's just too much to discount.

Look up the Yarmouth County Museum for some neat stuff by the way.

• Like 1

I believe there is a mystery there afterall there was a Spanish coin found in the swamp and some British coins on the beach but I do find its hard to believe it takes 2 years to dig a swamp and to finally realise to go into 10x.

I also find it hard to believe that the Ark of the covenant is there. Rather preposterous.

Why couldn't they take the core sample to be analysed to see if its older than 300 years. The clay could have a date on it.

Edited by Istoryahe
  • Like 1

I'm also from Nova Scotia, and I can verify that there are a tonne of odd things around here that pre date the more commonly believed notions of post Columbus discovery.

There are carvings in rocks in the water that depict ships that look Phonecian or Norse like. There are old stone ruins that were ancient when the lands were first mapped out in the 1600 - 1700s. I myself have found a road up the side of the North Mountain in the Annapolis Valley that has 200 year old trees at the top and bottom, and is referenced by the natives as being built by the old ones (rocks placed on the edges, definitely dug out).

The weather here is usually beautiful with mild winters. It would be easy to say that many seafaring nations could have used our province as a resting point. Heck, the Chinese were said to have settled for a bit in Cape Breton (I have Mic mac friends who share direct words with identical meanings with the Chinese, it's amazing. Not to mention ceremonial dress).

Is the Oak Island treasure, or others, too outlandish to believe in? I don't think so at all. There have been Norse runestones found here, swords and armor. I myself have found a Middle Eastern coin of undetermined date while out hunting.

Terry could be onto something. This province is littered with mystery and it's a great place to explore for it. There's just too much to discount.

Look up the Yarmouth County Museum for some neat stuff by the way.

Thank you for that insiders point of view! May I ask, is Oak Island something most people are aware of in Nova Scotia? Because I know here in the U.S not many people are familiar with the mystery. Perhaps more now, since the show has aired.

• Like 1

OKay...testing for dates isn't cheap, but the show isn't showing everything that has been done. Has it mentioned that the swamp is actually full of ancient mine tailings, older than the past 100 years worth of digs? There are reasons why the show launches into showing something then halts faster than the roadrunner on a cliff.

If you think that the Ark of the Covenant being here is preposterous, just take a look at what it was supposed to do...I don't find it out to lunch that it could be here, or a dozen other artifacts.

There's a lot of people in Nova Scotia that know of Oak Island, but it's closed to the public now since the show started, with tours booked in advance at like $15 or so a person. I was there as a kid a few times...it sucks that they've close it off. Legally one can still go around the beach at low tide. Nobody can do anything due to Nova Scotian laws. Debating on hitting the shoreline with a metal detector next summer.

As I mentioned, the province is FULL of weird history. Look up the show America Unearthed, he comes here a few times and sees some odd things (a cool show overall really).

And apparently Henry Sinclair loved to visit here, as did the Norsemen and a few other civilizations. There is evidence of it all around. The Bayers Lake Walls are a pretty neat mystery, as are the cellars near Tusket in Yarmouth. Runestones found around the province, and old rock carvings sprinkled around. Caves are pretty neat too if you can find one that's not in limestone or gypsum. Even the Micmac have their tales of Glooscap. Read those for interesting times.

• Like 1

Thank you for that insiders point of view! May I ask, is Oak Island something most people are aware of in Nova Scotia? Because I know here in the U.S not many people are familiar with the mystery. Perhaps more now, since the show has aired.

Oh, there are many in the states that have been aware of Oak Island. Similar to DB Cooper, it has been a childhood fascination for many years.