Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Curse of Oak Island

Myles

20 hours ago, odiesbsc said:

Thanks atalante for trying to help out old dummy me. But I still don't see when the series was filmed. I'm not trying to be difficult, it's just that the light bulb above my head is still off. If season 5 was filmed last spring and summer it would make more sense than if it were filmed years ago.

odiesbc

The newspaper dateline was August 2016 for reporting the government approval for funding in season 4.of the show. 
Thus summer 2016 was the filming date for season 4. 

Finalized government accounting for filming season 5 was reported with a newspaper dateline of Oct 2017.  Thus season 5 was filmed in summer 2017.  http://thechronicleherald.ca/artslife/1510314-curse-of-oak-island-one-other-tv-series-receives-nsbi-funding

Season 5 is the first time the Nova Scotia government required a professional archaeologist to observe all the new work on Oak Island.  Perhaps a formal archaeology report would not be composed until after the TV series eventually ends;  and the date for writing such a report would probably wait to see if there is a season 6 next year.  

Edited by atalante
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2017 at 11:14 AM, odiesbsc said:

Thank you Kenemet for the wiki link. But I still didn't see when each episode was filmed. Was this last series 2017 / 2018, filmed last spring and summer? If so, it is closer to real time than I thought.

About a month before.....Here is a link that can show you this. Some lady who owns the land on the other side of the entrance. She keeps a blog.

http://oakislandfromtheothersideofthecauseway.com/

• Like 4

Since this is for TV and we have seen these guys run a pretty messy project, I don't put it past anyone that some stuff could have been planted.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sakari said:

About a month before.....Here is a link that can show you this. Some lady who owns the land on the other side of the entrance. She keeps a blog.

http://oakislandfromtheothersideofthecauseway.com/

Thanks Sakari for the link. It is very interesting. So, evidently the show is filmed the same year it's aired with only a few months time lag. That answered my questions about the timing of the series. The one part of Karen's blog about the armored car being there might mean they did find some treasure on the island. I know I'll keep watching now to find out.

• Like 1

Hey guys, I haven't been following this, are there any significant discoveries made? It was so repetitive about the history of the island every week, and so drawn out. Very compelling story but I quit watching. 

4 minutes ago, Area201 said:

Hey guys, I haven't been following this, are there any significant discoveries made? It was so repetitive about the history of the island every week, and so drawn out. Very compelling story but I quit watching. 

Spoiler

Hell yeah man, they found what they think is the original money pit and found 2 pieces of bone from different humans at around 200ft (off the top of my head) which DNA testing showed one was European and the other was from the middle east. 

I personally love the Templars theory so I find the middle east DNA  exciting as hell! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, odiesbsc said:

Thanks Sakari for the link. It is very interesting. So, evidently the show is filmed the same year it's aired with only a few months time lag. That answered my questions about the timing of the series. The one part of Karen's blog about the armored car being there might mean they did find some treasure on the island. I know I'll keep watching now to find out.

You are welcome.
The armored car was there on a unrelated (and not worth anything) project.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HollyDolly said:

I didn't see the sahow last night.Was it on? Seemed like they had a marathon of  Forged in Fire all day.

Was not on. Must have been because of the Holidays.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2017 at 10:43 AM, Trelane said:

I find it curious they haven't used ground penetrating radar to search for "the vault". At this point, I think it is safe to say there is nothing to this.

It's supposed location is too far underground, I believe.

• Like 2

I think theres much more to find here, because reality tv or not, the evidence that this is an important island is overwhelming, and one of these weeks/months/years, there will be some clearity

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Thomas Van Overloop said:

I think theres much more to find here, because reality tv or not, the evidence that this is an important island is overwhelming, and one of these weeks/months/years, there will be some clearity

I hope so, but this could all be nothing too.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is it me or did they miss the mark when they went overboard when they kept saying the cross on their stone was exactly the same as the one in France?

I thought it looked very much the same for having been carved an Ocean away from each other. I wish the carvings gave away more info about the Templars but I'm sure the jailers would have obliterated any actual writings.

I watch on fast forward now.  I am getting to the point where i can not watch the animation of the drill coming out of the chapel value with gold flakes.   They are recycling way too much footage.  At this point the metal detecting and drilling is the most interesting component of the show.   Showing guys reading books is hardly riveting tv.  The war room recaps of information that was just shown is tiring too.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, travelnjones said:

I watch on fast forward now.  I am getting to the point where i can not watch the animation of the drill coming out of the chapel value with gold flakes.   They are recycling way too much footage.  At this point the metal detecting and drilling is the most interesting component of the show.   Showing guys reading books is hardly riveting tv.  The war room recaps of information that was just shown is tiring too.  

I agree with all that.   I've noticed myself fast forwarding through some too.  

I fast forward constantly and it doesnt help. LOL They still dont find any treasure!

• Like 2

I'll keep watching until they find something or give up. I agree with them that the history is just as important as the actual treasure but then I've always enjoy the story telling of history and the figuring out the puzzle of it.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2018 at 7:12 AM, skliss said:

I'll keep watching until they find something or give up. I agree with them that the history is just as important as the actual treasure but then I've always enjoy the story telling of history and the figuring out the puzzle of it.

As long as a sufficient number of people watch, they will continue to make shows.  However, as with all series, at some point they will stop, but they will never find a treasure IMHO

7 minutes ago, griss47 said:

Anyone catch last night's episode?  If so, what do you think about the cross they found on the beach? 

Starting in the late 15th century, French and British expeditions explored, colonized, and fought over various places within North America in what constitutes present-day Canada.

That second quote is from Wikipedia. With that being said, it does not mean much as proof of treasure to me.

• Like 1

Just now, Sakari said:

That second quote is from Wikipedia. With that being said, it does not mean much as proof of treasure to me.

Oh, I agree about it not providing proof of treasure. 

As I stated earlier in this thread, I'm watching the show more for the historical aspect than for a treasure hunting aspect.  In other words, the finding of that cross is interesting to me from a historical standpoint...I'd be interested to know how old it is and where it originally came from. 

55 minutes ago, griss47 said:

Oh, I agree about it not providing proof of treasure. 

As I stated earlier in this thread, I'm watching the show more for the historical aspect than for a treasure hunting aspect.  In other words, the finding of that cross is interesting to me from a historical standpoint...I'd be interested to know how old it is and where it originally came from. 

As for History, it is already known Europeans were there at those times :)

That is why the cross means nothing to me. Other than someone lost a cross on a beach :)

• Like 1

I think they've found a treasure.  Maybe not gold but something far more valuable.  It's interesting that they are advertising a new(??) special on the Knights Templars following episode 12 which remains unnamed?  It's like there will be new interest in the Templars.  I think the crew has been sitting on a non-disclosure agreement because of what they found and it will change the history as we knew it.  We might see new sponsors with an army of archeologists.  Of course, it could just be a ploy for ratings.  I won't hold my breath.

That cross does look like the one in Domme but it also looks like an Ank.  I think there was a treasure there but it has long been moved.  I still like the idea that Capt Kidd took it and buried it under Trinity Church.  He helped to build the first church.  And John Jay Astor somehow ended up with some of it which was probably the source of his wealth.