Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Curse of Oak Island

Myles

They were doing some stupid crap this last episode.  They were talking about digging up this pad they built and will need again for removal of the sea wall.  If they dug a straight line roughly parallel to the pad and sea wall, but behind the pad they would intersect it (assuming its there).  I have been thinking they could have done that without the sea wall a few seasons ago.  

The metal detecting seems to be the most cost effective too they have.  They need to have Gary Draydon have metal detection tours of the island. 

7 hours ago, travelnjones said:

They were doing some stupid crap this last episode.  They were talking about digging up this pad they built and will need again for removal of the sea wall.  If they dug a straight line roughly parallel to the pad and sea wall, but behind the pad they would intersect it (assuming its there).  I have been thinking they could have done that without the sea wall a few seasons ago.  

The metal detecting seems to be the most cost effective too they have.  They need to have Gary Draydon have metal detection tours of the island. 

They're also terribly surprised at finding things on the floor of the cove.  Yet coves are landing spots for boats and I'd expect to find all sorts of junk in the water and around the shore.

We watch it for the 'what ridiculous idea will they promote as a theory next' factor.

Edited by Kenemet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kenemet said:

We watch it for the 'what ridiculous idea will they promote as a theory next' factor.

That's the reason I don't watch it on top of my hatred for pot-holers and looters.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, travelnjones said:

That digging a parallel line is a good idea! It might be something not approved by the govt. Look at all the interesting stuff they would have missed though. They keep saying it's as much for keeping history intact as treasure hunting. I get a kick out of Drayton....whenever he goes  "Oooooooo..." you know its something good. 

5 minutes ago, skliss said:

That digging a parallel line is a good idea!

It's taught in actual archaeology courses. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Piney said:

It's taught in actual archaeology courses. 

AKA Cabal indoctrination...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jarocal said:

AKA Cabal indoctrination...

Sshhh... You'll blow it. :o

• Haha 1

On 3/20/2019 at 7:16 AM, travelnjones said:

Rip Dan Blankenship

ditto

On 3/19/2019 at 5:16 PM, travelnjones said:

Rip Dan Blankenship

I was so hoping he would be around to see the end of this story, however it turns out. Seemed like a really great guy! 

• Like 3

Appears to be more leather and (maybe) bone from 100+ feet plus some really big oak timbers with axe marks. Be interesting to see the analysis.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Guitar said:

Appears to be more leather and (maybe) bone from 100+ feet plus some really big oak timbers with axe marks. Be interesting to see the analysis.

As dug up as the site is, it could be something that was pushed down there by a previous effort.... or even stuff left by them.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Kenemet said:

As dug up as the site is, it could be something that was pushed down there by a previous effort.... or even stuff left by them.

And they'll find that out, they are really good about having their finds analyzed and dated by professionals.

31 minutes ago, skliss said:

And they'll find that out, they are really good about having their finds analyzed and dated by professionals.

I'd kind of dispute that.  Their archaeologist hasn't mentioned this issue on camera and their hand-selected experts tend to confirm a lot of what they believe (e.g. the Templar stuff.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kenemet said:

I'd kind of dispute that.  Their archaeologist hasn't mentioned this issue on camera and their hand-selected experts tend to confirm a lot of what they believe (e.g. the Templar stuff.)

So how exactly is it a short coming of the Lagina’s and Co. if the experts deduce the same from the evidence? 

15 hours ago, Kenemet said:

Not really..they always talk about the possibility of any find being from previous searchers and they usually go to universities for any kind of dating of materials. And I'm talking about scientific testing not someone guesstimating a date for an item. For example bones they've found 170 feet below the earth being from two individuals dating to a medieval time period, one of European descent and one of Middle eastern. And they entertain all theories from people who want to contribute, not just Templar. Another talked about prominently is pirates. They have no set "this is our theory", they listen to everyone.

• Thanks 1

What I don't get is why they keep moving to different parts of the island if the treasure they're looking for is supposed to be in the money pit? 

I don't watch the show but a local radio station does kind of a recap of it every week in the mornings because they enjoy making fun of the Top Pocket and Bobby Dazzler guy and mispronouncing Lagina....

3 hours ago, skliss said:

Not really..they always talk about the possibility of any find being from previous searchers and they usually go to universities for any kind of dating of materials. And I'm talking about scientific testing not someone guesstimating a date for an item. For example bones they've found 170 feet below the earth being from two individuals dating to a medieval time period, one of European descent and one of Middle eastern. And they entertain all theories from people who want to contribute, not just Templar. Another talked about prominently is pirates. They have no set "this is our theory", they listen to everyone.

I don't have a particular beef with some of the universities they've selected.  What I find questionable is the other experts they've called in to interpret things (a good example is the "Templar cross"... which isn't, and the Templar graffiti, which was misinterpreted (it's not a cross with a loop; it's a very crude crucifix and the "loop" is Jesus' head.)  I suspect that a lot more's been turned up that they're not showing because it can't be made into good story and doesn't support the idea of a treasure.

Their choice in experts seems to have improved and some of their techniques have as well... but it's still "pot hunting" and that presents a lot of problems with the recovered material.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

I don't have a particular beef with some of the universities they've selected.  What I find questionable is the other experts they've called in to interpret things (a good example is the "Templar cross"... which isn't, and the Templar graffiti, which was misinterpreted (it's not a cross with a loop; it's a very crude crucifix and the "loop" is Jesus' head.)  I suspect that a lot more's been turned up that they're not showing because it can't be made into good story and doesn't support the idea of a treasure.

Their choice in experts seems to have improved and some of their techniques have as well... but it's still "pot hunting" and that presents a lot of problems with the recovered material.

What I've seen is more people showing up with theories and them politely listening.  Then they'll say, "That was interesting, thanks for coming, if you find out anything else, come back and let us know." They always say they go where the history leads them. I'm sure they do find more than we see...how dull would it be if we saw every fragment they find, especially if they are all from local, searcher activity. We see the most interesting finds and as long as they keep having them scientifically cooberated, I'm good with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kenemet said:

the Templar graffiti,

Put up a pic of that. I wonder if it's the Mikmaq Miidiihaachkii  for Greeting the Sun that's up there. 

Ed Lenik recorded every glyph in the Northeast. I have all his reports

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kenemet said:

it's still "pot hunting"

Exactly......

it seems season 6 and episode 18 is claiming a fair dinkum templar connection with Oak Island. anyone able to fill me in? 

Oak Island? More like Snorting Coke Island if anyone thinks there is anything there. LOL!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Lord Harry said:

Oak Island? More like Snorting Coke Island if anyone thinks there is anything there. LOL!

...are you suggesting a connection with Egyptian mummies? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Harry said:

WHERE THE FRIG HAVE YOU BEEN???? 

Cladkings here.... :whistle:

• Haha 2