Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Curse of Oak Island

Myles

Has anyone seen this?

I must have missed the first episode, but I caught episode #2 last night.

Nothing great. A couple brothers, Marty Lagina and Rick Lagina, from Michigan have purchased the island and are working with Dan and Dave Blankenship, permanent residents of the island. Since I've always been intrigued by this mystery, I'll watch the show.

They throw allot of stupid stuff in there, and they don't seem to have an expert on the crew.

Personally, I don't think there is anything to Oak Island.

• Like 1

Right now they are trying to find undeniable proof before dumping Millions into it. I have been waiting to see someone else go after this for a long while.

I think there is something to it. Why have oak logs every ten feet with coconut fiber on top. I guess we will see.

• Like 2

Right now they are trying to find undeniable proof before dumping Millions into it. I have been waiting to see someone else go after this for a long while.

I think there is something to it. Why have oak logs every ten feet with coconut fiber on top. I guess we will see.

I sure hope you are right. I'd love for them to find something.

At this point, I don't see where they have the proper funding to get to the bottom of this mystery. I would find the show much more appealing if they (or the History Channel) brought in a real scientist to contribute.

• Like 2

It is a wonderful mystery that begs to be solved!

I have no expectation of what might be found and can only guess at the reason for the planking...the fact that someone went to the trouble of constructing this is amazing to me...

Over the years, I have became convinced someone did build it for something. Maybe it was a primitive attempt at a de-salination machine? Who knows...but it sure is cool to think about.

• Like 5

I only caught a small bit of the show, but it didn't seem to have a serious vibe to it. Either way, I'd love to see what they discover (if anything). Oak Island has always been an interest of mine.

• Like 2

I only caught a small bit of the show, but it didn't seem to have a serious vibe to it. Either way, I'd love to see what they discover (if anything). Oak Island has always been an interest of mine.

I was a little bummed when it was announced that these guys bought most of the island. I was hoping that when it was put up for sale, a billionaire would buy it so that money would not be barrier to solving this mystery.

• Like 1

As with a lot of these types of mysteries, the details that many believe (including myself) tend not to be accurate. Brian Dunning did a great review of the OIMP on an issue of Skeptoid a few years back. Podcast and transcript at the link:

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4129

The Oak Island Money Pit

Is a pirate treasure buried in this mysterious pit in Nova Scotia?

• Like 3

The only problem I see is that its a History Channel reality show which has nevers solved or unearthed anything of any real relevance. As always we will be tuning into hype and more questions than answers.

• Like 5

I've followed this off-and-on for a couple of decades. There is a school of thought that holds that most of what's been found is artifacts left by previous treasure hunters, so that the whole exercise is by now a dog-chasing-its-tail one.

Also, the presence of a treasure-hole doesn't necessarily mean the presence of a treasure. The complex original construction, to the degree that we can believe it existed, could be explained as a make-work project to keep otherwise idle men occupied while their ship was being repaired. "The Devil finds work for idle hands" is a very old management axiom.

• Like 2

What I find fascinating is the level of engineering that would have went into building everything on the island (the money pit, the swamp, and the cove are all said to be manmade) and nobody has found a "bill of sale" so to speak.

it just seems the man power and time going into such a endeavor would have shown up on somebodies bank account

• Like 1

I'm wondering about the conversation the pirates would be having.

"Why are we doing this again?"

"To bury our treasure and keep it safe."

"Oh...why aren't we spending it?"

• Like 9

It is a wonderful mystery that begs to be solved!

I have no expectation of what might be found and can only guess at the reason for the planking...the fact that someone went to the trouble of constructing this is amazing to me...

Over the years, I have became convinced someone did build it for something. Maybe it was a primitive attempt at a de-salination machine? Who knows...but it sure is cool to think about.

I was disappointed also. Seems like the "America Unearthed" type of 'discovery' alot of hype and little real substance.

Your de-salinization idea is best I've heard so far. Why not dig another hole @ an angle towards bottom to avoid all the water danger, etc???

• Like 1

I enjoy the whole mystery of Oak Island. The TV show is SO SLOW moving though. There is so much wasted time. I have to watch it on ondemand and fast forward a lot of it. LOL

With the money, equipment, and technology, why can't somebody just go down there? I'm sure it's not that simple, but it can't be that difficult either. They act like it's on another planet.

• Like 5

I admit Oak Island has always interested me. I haven't seen any of the TV episodes, but then again, I can't really say I'm a fan of the History Channel anymore. I take it this one is fashioned as some sort of reality TV show? Reality TV is fast contributing to the dumbing down of America. But it's an interesting place with an intriguing history, and skeptic that I am, I can't outright dismiss the possibility that something's down there. Maybe a pirate boot.

It's also suitable fodder for novels. A pair of my favorite writers, Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, wrote a novel called Riptide back in the late 1990s. It's a takeoff on Oak Island and a hell of a good book.

• Like 3

With the money, equipment, and technology, why can't somebody just go down there? I'm sure it's not that simple, but it can't be that difficult either. They act like it's on another planet.

Well, part of the problem is that no one knows where the original hole is. It was never precisely mapped, and the place looks like a warzone with all that its been dug up nowadays.

• Like 1

I enjoy the whole mystery of Oak Island. The TV show is SO SLOW moving though. There is so much wasted time. I have to watch it on ondemand and fast forward a lot of it. LOL

With the money, equipment, and technology, why can't somebody just go down there?

What, and destroy all that commercial time? Unthinkable!

• Like 1

Was'nt most of any real evidence destroyed when it was first dug.

It was more of a 'Gung Ho' operation rather than an archeological one.

• Like 1

That hole is a "Humbug", and folklore is ripe with tales of supernatural treasure chests slinking away from the shovelers.

Just enjoy the classic tale, and feel sorry for the suckers that follow it for life.

Edited by davros of skaro

I really wish the actual show moved faster. It seems they spend most of the time saying 1 thing 200 times.

Oak Island itself is very interesting to me. The fact that there is so much Hydrogen Sulfide gas around seems very suspicious. I'm actually hoping the show eventually shows definitive proof one way or another about the island. But who knows, they will drag it out as long as possible I'm sure.

• Like 3

Oak Island is the ultimate 'jack of all myths' the treasure might be Egyptian, Templar or even pirate in origin but no one knows for sure...only that it's there. Yeah right!

• Like 1

I really wish the actual show moved faster. It seems they spend most of the time saying 1 thing 200 times.

Oak Island itself is very interesting to me. The fact that there is so much Hydrogen Sulfide gas around seems very suspicious. I'm actually hoping the show eventually shows definitive proof one way or another about the island. But who knows, they will drag it out as long as possible I'm sure.

I agree. I suspect it will conclude with them running out of money with very little show for it.

• Like 1

it was very stupid when they brought in the ghost hunter type of people.

• Like 4