Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Curse of Oak Island

Myles

I am loosing my mind this season. Its the worse baiting of any season so far. Its plain silly. YET I keep watching. :)

• Like 3

The Brothers: So we dug up this chunk of wood...

Voice over guy: A hunk of WOOD! on OAK ISLAND! Is this proof of the fabled money pit, a timber from a previous expedition or something else entirely? 

The Brothers: Yeah, as thought it's just a piece of wood.

The Brothers: Hey, look a nail, this is interesting...

Voice over guy: A NAIL! on OAK ISLAND! Is this more proof of something or is it just a nail, find out after the break.

The Brothers: Oh, it's just one of our nails from construction the drill platform

Voice over guy: A DRILL PLATFORM! on OAK ISLAND! ....

• Like 9

9 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

The Brothers: So we dug up this chunk of wood...

Voice over guy: A hunk of WOOD! on OAK ISLAND! Is this proof of the fabled money pit, a timber from a previous expedition or something else entirely? 

The Brothers: Yeah, as thought it's just a piece of wood.

The Brothers: Hey, look a nail, this is interesting...

Voice over guy: A NAIL! on OAK ISLAND! Is this more proof of something or is it just a nail, find out after the break.

The Brothers: Oh, it's just one of our nails from construction the drill platform

Voice over guy: A DRILL PLATFORM! on OAK ISLAND! ....

Darn you!   I can not read you post without the narrators annoying tone.  

• Like 5

LOL I don't want to deny you guys the enjoyment of watching this show, but does anyone really think these people will find anything?

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

LOL I don't want to deny you guys the enjoyment of watching this show, but does anyone really think these people will find anything?

Viewers? :lol:

jmccr8

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Viewers? :lol:

jmccr8

LOL That's about it. Ratings. "Look, Clem, they found a branch in the dirt. That must be proof! Right?"

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

LOL That's about it. Ratings. "Look, Clem, they found a branch in the dirt. That must be proof! Right?"

Yes and not just any branch, after carbon dating they will be able to tell it was on a tree when the arc was buried by the Templars. :whistle:

jmccr8

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Yes and not just any branch, after carbon dating they will be able to tell it was on a tree when the arc was buried by the Templars. :whistle:

jmccr8

Is that the Arc of the Covenant or Noah's Ark?

Wait, what are these dingbats looking for again? Did someone drop a quarter?

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Pieces of human bone at a depth of 170ft, together with a piece of leather - in a manner of composition usually seen in books of older high quality - plus a piece of pergament paper at the same depth. Oh, and the origin of the men whose bone they found; one was European, the other one was from the Middle East...in a 170ft deep hole, on an island i Canada...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EllJay said:

Pieces of human bone at a depth of 170ft, together with a piece of leather - in a manner of composition usually seen in books of older high quality - plus a piece of pergament paper at the same depth. Oh, and the origin of the men whose bone they found; one was European, the other one was from the Middle East...in a 170ft deep hole, on an island i Canada...

Do you have a link?

jmccr8

26 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Do you have a link?

jmccr8

Sorry, you have to catch the re-run or something, or record it. YouTube pulls down episodes almost immediately, even the smallest clips from the show, they rip like nazi-vipers.

Best tip is to see when the first re-rum comes up in a day or 2.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2017 at 6:41 PM, kmt_sesh said:

Other than advertising revenue, no.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EllJay said:

On an island with extremely disturbed soil.   On an island settled and farmed by many people, including former African slaves.  In an area where treasure hunters have been digging before.  Found not using arcaheological techniques (which would guarantee that nothing from upper layers has been mixed in) but by brute force techniques.

I am not very amazed, no.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

On an island with extremely disturbed soil.   On an island settled and farmed by many people, including former African slaves.  In an area where treasure hunters have been digging before.  Found not using arcaheological techniques (which would guarantee that nothing from upper layers has been mixed in) but by brute force techniques.

I am not very amazed, no.

One further wonders if they had a forensic anthropologist on staff with the ability and equipment to conduct isotopic analysis to be able to determine point of origin for the human remains.

LOL Maybe they did, so I should mind myself. I don't watch the show. Or was it more a case of "Kinda looks Araby"?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

One further wonders if they had a forensic anthropologist on staff with the ability and equipment to conduct isotopic analysis to be able to determine point of origin for the human remains.

I don't see that happening with a bunch of greedy "pot hunters". 

I've worked alongside of advocational archaeologists. Some are more knowledgeable and better than some of the "educated" ones I know. But I can't stand pot hunters and that's what these idiots are.

• Like 2

From a post on Eupedia, it seems they decided one was from Middle East because the Y-DNA haplogroup was T. Well, T indeed originate from Middle East, but that was many thousands years ago, there have been T men in Europe since the Neolithic, so it's probably two Europeans.

From Eupedia:

Haplogroup T is one of the most widely dispersed paternal lineages in the world. In Europe, it makes up only 1% of the population on most of the continent, except in Greece, Macedonia and Italy where it exceeds 4%, and in Iberia where it reaches 2.5%, peaking at 10% in Cadiz and over 15% in Ibiza. The maximal worldwide frequency for haplogroup T is observed in East Africa (Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia, Kenya, Tanzania) and in the Middle East (especially the South Caucasus, southern Iraq, south-west Iran, Oman and southern Egypt), where it accounts for approximately 5 to 15% of the male lineages. Over 50% of haplogroup T has been reported in some tribes in northern Somalia and Djibouti. Another hotspot are the Fulani people of Cameroon (18%). Besides these regions and Europe, T is found in isolated pockets as far as Zambia, South Africa, India, Central Asia and Northeast Asia, including southern Siberia, Mongolia (2%) and northern China (1%).

Distribution of haplogroup T in Europe

Looking at the map, they could just be Acadians or Spaniard fishermen. -__-

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kmt_sesh said:

LOL Maybe they did, so I should mind myself. I don't watch the show. Or was it more a case of "Kinda looks Araby"?

I think they had a reasonably reputable lab...but I'd bet that they got more than just the snippet they played on tv.  After all, they have to have something to keep people coming back.  The minute they said "Haplogroup T" I turned to my husband and said "Templars" and sure enough, the next thread was "OMG!  Templar connection!"

(for the record, I think it's a lot of hooey. )

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gingitsune said:

From a post on Eupedia, it seems they decided one was from Middle East because the Y-DNA haplogroup was T. Well, T indeed originate from Middle East, but that was many thousands years ago, there have been T men in Europe since the Neolithic, so it's probably two Europeans.

From Eupedia:

Looking at the map, they could just be Acadians or Spaniard fishermen. -__-

Or knights Templar :lol::innocent::whistle:

jmccr8

They had an archeologist assigned by the Canadian govt guiding them. They also found these items, book binding, parchment fragment, china pieces and human bone at a depth beyond any of the former recorded being reached.

30 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

I think they had a reasonably reputable lab...but I'd bet that they got more than just the snippet they played on tv.  After all, they have to have something to keep people coming back.  The minute they said "Haplogroup T" I turned to my husband and said "Templars" and sure enough, the next thread was "OMG!  Templar connection!"

(for the record, I think it's a lot of hooey. )

I wasn't aware they had tested the DNA, but again I don't watch the show. Then again, as someone pointed out, that doesn't necessarily fix point of origin, unless they're looking for that person's distant ancestors. Seems sloppy to me.

And the Templars angle is an obvious ploy for ratings. No one with common sense is going to buy into that.

I admit I would watch the show when I used to go to a clinic for dialysis. I mean, I had four hours to sit there, so I needed something to do. But that was already a long time ago (I've been doing dialysis at home for many months). I did kind of like the brothers who are the focus of the show, but overall found the whole escapade just silly. It's another symptom of the rapid downfall of the History Channel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kmt_sesh said:

I wasn't aware they had tested the DNA, but again I don't watch the show. Then again, as someone pointed out, that doesn't necessarily fix point of origin, unless they're looking for that person's distant ancestors. Seems sloppy to me.

And the Templars angle is an obvious ploy for ratings. No one with common sense is going to buy into that.

I admit I would watch the show when I used to go to a clinic for dialysis. I mean, I had four hours to sit there, so I needed something to do. But that was already a long time ago (I've been doing dialysis at home for many months). I did kind of like the brothers who are the focus of the show, but overall found the whole escapade just silly. It's another symptom of the rapid downfall of the History Channel.

Yes, and the lab looked reputable.  However, there was a lot of editing in the scene and they picked up on something that is not terribly significant.

I do like that they built a little museum.  I think that history museums do a service for their communities; archiving old records and material that are useful and of interest to others.  

I sometimes wonder if they feel trapped by this whole thing.  There's no endpoint... they apparently keep digging until they find the treasure vault or until they can't get any funding.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Or knights Templar :lol::innocent::whistle:

jmccr8

We need to know first were the lived and died, after we will be able to speculate who they were.

2 hours ago, skliss said:

They had an archeologist assigned by the Canadian govt guiding them. They also found these items, book binding, parchment fragment, china pieces and human bone at a depth beyond any of the former recorded being reached.

It still doesn't tell us when they were buried. They dig deep to bury them, right, but unless we have some way to date the site...

I need to catch up with the series I guess, I'm like 3 seasons behind. Although, let me add they finally found something substantial, at least, they should be able to build an entire season, maybe two, on this discovery.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gingitsune said:

We need to know first were the lived and died, after we will be able to speculate who they were.

It still doesn't tell us when they were buried. They dig deep to bury them, right, but unless we have some way to date the site...

I need to catch up with the series I guess, I'm like 3 seasons behind. Although, let me add they finally found something substantial, at least, they should be able to build an entire season, maybe two, on this discovery.

I was joking:lol:

jmccr8

15 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

I was joking:lol:

jmccr8

Of course you were, but I had a serious comment to add . Although I probably should have answer with a joke, then a line starting with "more seriously..."

Edit: I guess I need more sleep these days. :whistle:

Edited by Gingitsune
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, skliss said:

...  They also found these items, book binding, parchment fragment, china pieces and human bone at a depth beyond any of the former recorded being reached.

The parchment was allegedly found in 1893.