Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man sees UFOs on regular basis

ufoscan

A little update.

While it's not yet 100% sure I'll be going, it's damned close. I have lodging available, and my friend seems interested enough. We'll be going between 2nd and 7th of February 2014, for about two-three days, aiming for days with clear night skies.

If you have any requests for me to do, please ask. I won't disturb Benoît Meilleur, though. It can be trying to make contact with flares or laser, or not, if that's not safe.

So far, the plan is to get to the sighting spot by 5pm-5:30pm max, and set up the camera and tripod, and film as they appear by 6PM. We'll film with phones and video camera (kinda old, but works nicely). MAYBE we can borrow a better video cam, but mine should give good enough results. The Iphone has a good camera, but bad stability, same for my android.

Day 2, we try and find where they come from, or where they land/diseappear.

Edited by JackTheManiac
  • Like 1

Apart from anything else...

...We'll film with phones...

{..sighs wearily...}

Perhaps the video camera *is* really good, and perhaps the operator of it knows what they are doing (and you NEED to), but if phones are your still cameras for shooting flying objects at night.... then I think those 'perhapses' are definitely NOT givens..

Actually, I should be more positive I guess.. In the forlorn hope that there might be a chance of decent video footage, here are some basic do's and dont's.

1. Use the tripod, and read the video's manual about what settings (regarding Image Stabilisation) should be used when tripod mounted.

2. Turn digital zoom OFF - it does nothing useful whatsoever.

3. If you need to move the camera, do so slowly and gently - set the tripod so that it is firm, but can be moved smoothly - practice beforehand. Cheap tripods suck, but the way..

4. Turn AutoFocus (AF) OFF and manually focus by racking the lens slowly until the object is at its smallest. (Do not be confused by 'bokeh'..) Note that every time you change the zoom, you will need to adjust focus. Autofocus is useless on small pinpoint objects at night (unless you have an *extremely* good camera).

5. Zoom BACK (all the way to its widest) periodically (and refocus) to show the background scene.

6. Adjust the exposure settings so that:

- if the object is bright and you are zoomed in, the exposure should be reduced/darkened way down so it doesn't 'bloom' outwards as an overexposed blob, and you can capture any colour or details it may have.

- When you are zoomed back out, the exposure should be lengthened/brightened so that the image shows the background (trees/ground/etc).,

Generally that will mean you need to *manually* set the exposure (usually via the shutter duration on a videocam) - again - practice beforehand.

Also, make sure that you orient yourself, supply an accurate location and note which direction the camera is pointing..

That's a quick list off the top of my head - I may add some other stuff once I am more awake..Please try and practice beforehand - see how you go with filming aircraft coming in on approach at your nearest airport.

Finally, if you get anything worthwhile KEEP the original footage, and please don't do any enlargement or other post-processing unless you *really* know what you are doing..

If the above advice is ignored or not able to be done, then we may end up with some more stuff that Jaime Maussan would love!!! A special Hi goes out to Yalcin Yalman, who had a very capable camera and did absolutely NONE of the above for his turkey ufo scam... probably as advised by Jaime.

Apart from anything else...

{..sighs wearily...}

Perhaps the video camera *is* really good, and perhaps the operator of it knows what they are doing (and you NEED to), but if phones are your still cameras for shooting flying objects at night.... then I think those 'perhapses' are definitely NOT givens..

I said we have Iphone (friend's) + Android + Digital Video Camera. Please read better. Thanks. However, the advice is welcome and I will follow it. Some of it were only natural things to do, but some interesting gems in there. But I'm not going to spend any more money than I need on this trip. Gas, food, lodging. So my camera will have to do. Indeed, I'll run up some tests first at night, before I leave.

If we see something, we film it and we show it off, and it'll probably be good.

Edited by JackTheManiac

theya re continuing the investigation?

i wasn't aware of that actually.

The journalist who wrote the article says in the interview (on local TV) that they are continuing the investigation. Also, there are two local UFO groups that are looking into it. The main problem is the great distances. All of these groups are located in Montreal, but the sighting location is located several hours away. So setting up an observation post can be quite costly. This is why I suggested that people who live nearby might be better candidates.

as for townsfolk regularly ridiculing people who claim to see ufo's - i don't see that happening with any regularity.

All you have to do is read the comments under the articles that have been published on this case and the majority of them ridicule and insult the witness.

so if you really think outsiders should rush there to check it out, even though it's 'being investigated at this time' then by all means spend your vacay bucks on it

I think you should read over what I wrote. I specifically said "if you live nearby"...

While it's not yet 100% sure I'll be going, it's damned close. I have lodging available, and my friend seems interested enough. We'll be going between 2nd and 7th of February 2014, for about two-three days, aiming for days with clear night skies.

Hi Jack... I didn't realize that by "nearby" you meant "three hours away" ! That to me is anything but nearby !!! One member of a local UFO group lives 5km away and has already gone there but saw nothing while he was there except... a lot of other people who also went there in the hope of seeing "something".

It's the kind of situation where one has to go repeatedly if one hopes to catch anything.

I won't disturb Benoît Meilleur, though. It can be trying to make contact with flares or laser, or not, if that's not safe.

The person who lives nearby did meet the son of the witness and the son brought him over to his father. He said the two are very approachable so don't outright exclude that option. You might get a better feel for what's going on if you directly talk to the witness.

So far, the plan is to get to the sighting spot by 5pm-5:30pm max, and set up the camera and tripod, and film as they appear by 6PM. We'll film with phones and video camera (kinda old, but works nicely). MAYBE we can borrow a better video cam, but mine should give good enough results. The iPhone has a good camera, but bad stability, same for my android.

I agree with ChrLzs that iPhones are not ideal, especially in low light. Unfortunately that's what happens most of the time in that people never have the right equipment. And then others complain about the "poor pictures". IPhones are never good enough for photographing in low light. The cheapest set-up to photograph in those conditions would be a camera and lens combination that would still cost about a thousand bucks. My suggestion: Nikon D5200 + Sigma 50mm f1.4 lens. If you could borrow or rent such equipment, it would be ideal. But of course there is no guarantee that you will see anything at all so it's all a risk.

Edited by ufoscan

have you noticed as the times move on, so has the aerodynamics and so on and so on of the so called ufo from outta space

automobiles 50 or 60 years back:- big boxed shape ugly looking with big mean lights.. etc etc.

it seems like the ufo followed the evolution of automobiles side by side.

surly these aliens would make their spaceship look and perform better 50 or 100's of years before humans do

have you noticed as the times move on, so has the aerodynamics and so on and so on of the so called ufo from outta space

automobiles 50 or 60 years back:- big boxed shape ugly looking with big mean lights.. etc etc.

it seems like the ufo followed the evolution of automobiles side by side.

Apparently the aliens were affected by the two Arab oil embargo as much as we were.

"59 cents a gallon? It will cost us a fortune to fly back to Alpha Centauri, Gortron!"

"Yes it will, Zantar! We'll buy one of those fuel efficient Japanese spaceships when we get there!"

• 2 weeks later...

I've just returned for the UFO spot in St-Adolphe. Saw nothing. We were there from 6 to 7h30 pm on Thursday February 6th. It's actually 1h30-2h00 from where I live (in Winter) so we made the trip in one day, we just ate at my contact's house.

There are two flight paths back and forth west to east or something, and one north south, for planes and helicopters. They made noise. Sky was clear. Apparitions most likely stopped. However, we had confirmation that people other than Benoit Meilleur saw the UFOS... other villagers.

Want to know what I think? First, about this case. There was something. It stopped, because of the medias. Either UFOs read newspaper, or it's the military or something else who don't wanna get found out. No doubt, there were flying objects. Also, there aren't really any tourism to do in the area, especially in Winter. There is ONE cornershop (gas station style) and that's it. No money to be made by bringing people there... especially when it's one hour from Montreal. We had confirmation other people saw them, and since there's no money gain, I'm convinced they didn't lie.

Now... about the big picture and ufos. I think we're looking at this the wrong way. We can't say UFOs doesn't exist, they do. Stuff that aren't planes. The thing we should be focusing on is explaining those things. Now I think a lot of people hide behind the "It's any unidentified flying object, it doesn't mean it's alien" and lie to themselves, especially the believers: You want that there are aliens. You want those things to be alien. Or, you want to show the world that the military does secret tests and other things without the public knowing. Breaking some conspiracy theory... But whatever they are, they appear erratically, and are hard to get a hand on... so we can't really explain them either. Better better aerial control, and also, sending jets to contact and take down anything that doesn't answer, could be a solution.

UFOs exists, without a doubt (because of their definition, which can label pretty much anything you don't recognize, as a ufo). But, they all are different, and some can be explained (man made, satellites), some cannot. What we want is to find out what are those we can't explain (yet). Saying "you never know, it could be there, absence of proof isn't proof of absence" etc... doesn't help at all with this. It's not tangible, it's not proof. It's irrational beliefs and hopes, at best.

Now that I've been there and saw nothing, Occam's razor dictates the simplest solution: Man made stuff, that whoever was making fly (probably a group), stopped doing when media publicized the story. I don't really want to hear "Maybe you didn't get a good day" or other excuse. Because excuses doesn't prove anything but don't disprove anything - me going there and seeing nothing is substantial.

Really. Unless we can give a tangible proof of what UFOs really are, theories remain mental fapsturbation and should be avoided. I've seen cigars, I've seen ball of lights... and I don't know their nature. Thousands of other people also saw flying things, and they can't figure out their nature. What we should actually do is grab hold of them, so that we can ascertain their nature. Then, we can move on from there. It's not about do UFOs exist or not, it's about how we should react to such sightings to get convincing data.

Edited by JackTheManiac

Thanks for your report , Jack.

Ideally, one would have to spend a few weeks over there to get a feel for what's happening. But that really isn't practical for people that live far from the region.

It would be the person making the claims that should set up the proper camera equipment and make records of what he sees... or maybe people in that area. The problem in all cases is that few people are willing to spend the money for equipment or take the time to do long term sky watching.

Great that you were able to make it there at all !

Yeah, thanks for the report back. There's no way in hell, though, that we could 'grab a hold of them', unless they wanted us to.

now look

1. you have cup

2. you have saucer

=. you have a cup of tea.. not a ufo with little green men, beaming up people

so relax and go put the kettle on