Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Massive canyon found under Antarctic ice

UM-Bot

A huge subglacial trench deeper than the Grand Canyon has been discovered hidden beneath the Antarctic.

The discovery was made by a team of scientists who had been charting an ancient mountain range located deep below the ice known as the Ellsworth Subglacial Highlands.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/260991/massive-canyon-found-under-antarctic-ice

• Like 2

That's pretty cool. I'd love to see Antarctica without all the ice & snow.

Dumpster Jesus better start looking for some high ground if that is his wish . . .

Eh, just scoot all the cities back a ways, we'll be fine. And we'd have a new continent to live on!

:tu:

All i can think of is the inner earth theory lol

-Insert some crazy idea of The Thing becoming a real event here-

This was really interesting. And made me wonder if there is any difference between Ground Penetrating Radar, and Ice Penetrating Radar. Does the radar work the same, but just go deeper into the ice?

Eh, just scoot all the cities back a ways, we'll be fine. And we'd have a new continent to live on!

:tu:

I say we build walls. Can you say, "Shovel Ready Jobs"?

when that snow melts it will be just like the grand canyon; and the snow will melt one day

It will make grand canyon look like a ditch.

isnt this old news?

It's my understanding that Antartica was once higher up on the globe and that continent shift moved it to where it is today. I think there is an old map showing most of its geological features, but I can't recall the name of that map.

Ah, that'll be the secret base from which the Nazis operate their flying Saucers, you mark my words. *taps nose significantly*

• Like 2

It's my understanding that Antartica was once higher up on the globe and that continent shift moved it to where it is today. I think there is an old map showing most of its geological features, but I can't recall the name of that map.

I think you may be referring to the Piri Reis map? I seem to recall that this map showed (part of) Antarctica as it would appear ice-free. Not sure if that's right through.

• Like 1

I think you may be referring to the Piri Reis map? I seem to recall that this map showed (part of) Antarctica as it would appear ice-free. Not sure if that's right through.

Antartica was once a lot farther north, but acquired its current position through continental drift. The continent ice over about 15 to 12 mya when the Straits of Panama closed and rerouted global ocean circulation.

The Piri Reis maps show the coast of Antarctica, but also show non-existent islands and are missing a few islands that are actually there. This tends to argue against the view-from-space idea and the help of little green men. Piri Reis was a gifted cartographer, though.

Doug

• Like 1

Could the missing islands be explained by the possibility that the sea levels may heve been different at the time the map was made? Just a thought.

Edited by avs76
  • Like 1

Could the missing islands be explained by the possibility that the sea levels may heve been different at the time the map was made? Just a thought.

Very unlikely.

Piri_reis_world_map_01.jpg

The map is impressively accurate in showing what was known by European sailors by around 1515: it shows the Caribbean, the northern part of South America, Africa and Spain very well.

Beyond that it gets really wobbly. For example South America curves around into "Antarctica" way too far north - seemingly just south of the Plate River estuary.

Another problem with it showing Antarctica is that notes in that part of the map apparently talk about that land's warm climate and the presence of snakes. If that's supposed to be accurate, then presumably Piri Reis was a time traveller as well as a sailor and cartographer.

• Like 2

I never really got why people are so amazed by the Piri Reis map.

Like Peter B said, Europe and the Carribean and the eastern parts of Brazil are fairly accurate, but the rest of South America is basically made up, and so is North and Central America.

If this is a depiction of antarctica where is the Strait of Magellan ? Seems like a very significant omission.

And it shows people with faces in their stomach :innocent:

Piri died in 1553. Sea levels were a little lower then, but not much.

Doug

If this is a depiction of antarctica where is the Strait of Magellan ? Seems like a very significant omission.

The maps are believed to date from about 1515. Magellan didn't discover the Straits of Magellan until 1520.

Doug

The maps are believed to date from about 1515. Magellan didn't discover the Straits of Magellan until 1520.

Doug

That doesent change the fact that it was still there. :tu:

You cant have an accurate map of Antarctica without a strait betweeen it and South America.

That doesent change the fact that it was still there. :tu:

You cant have an accurate map of Antarctica without a strait betweeen it and South America.

It's sort of hard to map something you don't know is there.

Doug

It's sort of hard to map something you don't know is there.

Doug

I know the Magellan Strait wasnt discovered yet in the time of Piri Reis, and my point is that it only shows accurately what was known at the time, the rest is guess work.

What i meant was, if someone supposedly knew how Antartica looked witout ice, wouldnt they also have know about the strait between Antartica and South America ?