Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Over 250 Bottlenose Dolphins now in The Cove

Yamato

Japan is going to have some blowback over this; because this time the whales are cute.

From the article:

Five separate pods of Bottlenose dolphins were driven into Taiji’s infamous killing cove yesterday and held overnight. This now massive pod of more than 250 dolphins includes babies and juveniles, including a rare albino calf who has been clinging as closely as possible to his or her mother in the stress and panic of the drive hunt.

http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/2014/01/17/250-bottlenose-dolphins-captured-and-held-overnight-in-the-cove-captive-selection-and-slaughter-at-1-1546

• Like 2

They don't kill the babies. They just slaughter their family in front of them, and throw them back for next year.

• Like 2

Hi Simbi well it's good to see I'm not alone.

And another really simple thing people could do to help - they're running a video contest right now too, the video they're looking for must document the connection between the local slaughter at Taiji and the international dolphin trade, including all of these fun fabulous water parks in the US and elsewhere, where everyone can bring their little kids to look at the big cute fish. It doesn't matter that their entire families were killed, doesn't matter that their family bonds are far stronger than even human beings', it doesn't matter that they were kidnap victims nor that they're destined to live their lives out as prisoners performing stupid human tricks like a good little dumb animal. The contest rules are pretty simple. It can't exceed three minutes and you can't use copyrighted material obviously but anything from any Sea Shepherd website or channel is fine to use in the production of it. Two winners - a $500 prize for each. If I won I'd be happy with the recognition I'd receive and I'd donate the money right back to them.

• Like 3

The Cove Guardians have observed 51 dolphins removed from the cove. Though the dolphins have now been trapped for days, Japanese fishermen are now lowering tarps down over the 'undesirable' dolphins (the ones with scars or other abnormalities) so they can slaughter them in private.

I don't see the big deal. Bottlenose dolphins are in no danger of becoming extinct, and this hunt is nothing compared to the amount of fish caught every day, many of which are from species that aren't in nearly good of shape as those dolphins.

What about all those sharks that are being killed in Japan just for their fins? How many "activists" do you see defending them? They all just latch onto the cute animals.

• Like 4

I am thinking to spit the first 250 Japanese ppl right in the face for that. That is a small price to pay for stupidity ignorance and heartless nation..

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/dolphins-captured-in-taiji-awaiting-sale-or-slaughter/story-fnh81fz8-1226806356567#

Edited by qxcontinuum

I don't see the big deal. Bottlenose dolphins are in no danger of becoming extinct, and this hunt is nothing compared to the amount of fish caught every day, many of which are from species that aren't in nearly good of shape as those dolphins.

What about all those sharks that are being killed in Japan just for their fins? How many "activists" do you see defending them? They all just latch onto the cute animals.

Is this a case of 'either/or'?

The premise that "Bottlenose dolphins are in no danger of becoming extinct", I find highly suspect. Can you provide studies about that?

• Like 1

They don't even have the good grace to claim "science" as an excuse this time.

• Like 4

That is a good point, I was stunned to hear that 12 to 14 tonnes of freshwater fish are harvested from Lake Victoria in Africa

Get this -

Daily!

And that's just Nile Perch.

They will stop Japan selling them to Asian Water Parks for display, but does anyone raise an eye at Seaworld?

dolphins-leap-over-a-boat-at-the-finale-of-the-data.jpg

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 4

Is this a case of 'either/or'?

The premise that "Bottlenose dolphins are in no danger of becoming extinct", I find highly suspect. Can you provide studies about that?

Wiki says:

Bottlenose dolphins are not endangered. Their future is stable because of their abundance and adaptability. However, specific populations are threatened due to various environmental changes. The population in the Moray Firth in Scotland is estimated to consist of around 150 animals, and is declining by around 6% per year from harassment, traumatic injury, water pollution and reduction in food availability. Likewise, an isolated population in Doubtful Sound, New Zealand, is in decline due to calf loss coincident to an increase in warm freshwater discharge into the fjord.[115] Less local climate change, such as increasing water temperature may also play a role but has never been shown to be the case.[116]

In US waters, hunting and harassing of marine mammals is forbidden in almost all circumstances.

• Like 2

So. They are not endangered, globally, as a species, but some populations are threatened due to environmental changes.

Well, that's a soothing thought.

• Like 1

Logically I don't have a problem with them capturing and killing dolphins for food. But how they go about it can be brutal. And people love dolphins for some reason. There is something about the whole cove turning red that digs at your morality.

Has anyone seen the South Park episode about the whaling and dolphins?

• Like 1

Logically I don't have a problem with them capturing and killing dolphins for food. But how they go about it can be brutal. And people love dolphins for some reason. There is something about the whole cove turning red that digs at your morality.

Has anyone seen the South Park episode about the whaling and dolphins?

Agreed, but it would not be the first time cultures have shocked each other. It would be nice to see Japan take a more benevolent approach I agree, but I think telling then that they are barbarians will only make it worse. There has to be a better way to approach the subject.

Yep, I have a fair bit of Southpark at home. :D

So. They are not endangered, globally, as a species, but some populations are threatened due to environmental changes.

Well, that's a soothing thought.

I have no idea is soothing or not, just the messenger there. I do not agree with Japan's culture at all with regards to sea mammals, I think modern times have made such traditions obsolete but I think aggressive action has only made matters worse.

How come only 41 taken out of 250?

Does that mean 11 Dolphins go to Theme Parks and 41 are eaten?

That honestly does not sound like much of an impact?

This is just another insensitive and even ignorant comment talking about "fish". Nobody mistakes sharks for being cute; so Sea Shepherd isn't among the "they" included in your rant here. So don't use that as a false premise and then start talking about "activists". Caroline Kennedy didn't say anything about the whale poachers 7,000 miles away from Japan in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary. Her problem, like you're referring to here, is strictly bottle-nosed.

This is just another insensitive and even ignorant comment talking about "fish". Nobody mistakes sharks for being cute; so Sea Shepherd isn't among the "they" included in your rant here. So don't use that as a false premise and then start talking about "activists". Caroline Kennedy didn't say anything about the whale poachers 7,000 miles away from Japan in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary. Her problem, like you're referring to here, is strictly bottle-nosed.

I'll admit that I didn't know much at all about Sea Shepherd when I made that comment, so I guess I'm guilty of some ignorance there. My response was hasty and may have been directed at the wrong people.

That said, I am sick of dolphins grabbing the headlines while so many other ocean animals are in much greater danger and are hardly ever even mentioned. I'm not condoning the slaughter of dolphins, but the death of 41 dolphins is just a minor incident compared to what is happening all the time to other, less "cuddly" animals.

• Like 3

The final tally:

52 dolphins captured, 41 slaughtered

http://www.hlntv.com...-cove-japan-jvm

How come only 41 taken out of 250?

Does that mean 11 Dolphins go to Theme Parks and 41 are eaten?

That honestly does not sound like much of an impact?

I think he means 93 total. Which still doesn't seem like a lot when they had 250 of them penned up.

I wonder what they taste like? :innocent:

• Like 1

I'll admit that I didn't know much at all about Sea Shepherd when I made that comment, so I guess I'm guilty of some ignorance there. My response was hasty and may have been directed at the wrong people.

No.

You are 100% spot on, they are a bunch of Terrorist Pirates that do more damage than good. Been on the water for 35 years, and things are only getting worse. The International Whaling commission themselves have asked them to rack off, but whilst Whale Wars ratings are high, that won't happen.

Sea Shepherd exists because Watson was kicked out of Greenpeace. If Greenpeace was OK with terrorist actions, then he would still be there. He is wanted in several countries for violent crimes committed. Even Interpol has him listed as a criminal, and indeed, he is. By every definition. He hides in international waters, and makes unannounced stop overs to avoid altercations and prison time.

Ask a marine biologist what they think of him.

As for not using False Premise? LOL.

1978: Watson admits to the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) programme As It Happens that his work is aimed at raising funds for his organisation, Sea Shepherd.

Watson: “You see, the seal is very easy to exploit as an image. We have posters, we have buttons; we have shirts … all of which portray the head of the baby seal with tears coming out of its eyes. Baby seals are always crying because the salt tears keep their eyes from freezing. But they have this image of ... they are baby animals; they are beautiful. And because of that, coupled with the horror of the sealer hitting them over the head with a club, it is an image which just goes right to the heart of animal lovers all over North America.”

No gimmick there is there......... :innocent:

People wasting money supporting these pirates just don't want to be alone is all, they will do anything for personal validation. Watson's a nasty piece of work, no two ways about it and his followers somewhat blinded. I was too, until I spoke to a couple of marine biologists who really opened up my eyes. Sea Shepherd Supporters do not talk to marine biologists, they just watch the Whale Wars TV show and run with that.

And lets face it, if one is serious about understanding the Oceans, do you go to a Marine Biologist, or some entertainment TV Show?

That said, I am sick of dolphins grabbing the headlines while so many other ocean animals are in much greater danger and are hardly ever even mentioned. I'm not condoning the slaughter of dolphins, but the death of 41 dolphins is just a minor incident compared to what is happening all the time to other, less "cuddly" animals.

One has to wonder about the initial 250 count? Was it ever that high, or heavily embellished to grab heart strings - like the Tee Shirts they sell noted above?

Exactly right, and Australia is right up there with all the bleeding hearts protesting this very action, I assume that 41 of these Dolphins went to Asian Theme parks, are we Aussie just cheesed off because we don't get a Dolphin too? Many other countries including our close neighbour New Zealand has outlawed Dolphin Parks, but not us here in Australia, but we will tell Aisan Water Parks they cannot have the Dolphins from Taiji. But they are OK with the captive Dolphins in theme parks here.

Sea World here in the Gold Coast performs twice daily with Dolphins. Here is a list of the captive Dolphins that Sea Shepherd does not care about. Some down at Coffs Harbour too. Used to be a couple of display ones in small pools on Hamilton Island too. I am an Aussie, and I say Australian Cetacean management is a joke, and politics associated with Cetacean Management are just fluff and nonsense to grab votes. We have a new Government this year, I have hopes they may attempt to do better than previous debacles.

Maybe they want them to buy them from us, I don't now, but is is highly hypocritical either way.

The Barrier Reef alone is a unique marine structure of life than requires more care than it gets.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

I think he means 93 total. Which still doesn't seem like a lot when they had 250 of them penned up.

I wonder what they taste like? :innocent:

Numbers are all over the place, if that is the case, they say 130 were released (released?) which brings us to 223 Dolphins, indicating the SS had overestimated by more than 12%.

Lots of hype here I would say, but that is absolutely nothing new with the Sea Shepherd.

This link is clearer:

Reportedly, 52 bottlenose dolphins were selected for aquaria, 41 slaughtered, and the rest released.

LINK

Seems a great deal of hype?

I honestly think that Lake Victoria has a far worse problem and as suggested by beelzebufo others are in far greater danger, it strikes me that a Freshwater Lake has less chance of recovery than an open Ocean, and like I said 12-14 tonnes of Nile Perch are removed from their daily! Fish Populations are diminishing, and now Juveniles are the most often caught, it will be over before anyone knows about at, all the while bleating about 41 Dolphins.

Good Old Wikipedia:

Cooked dolphin meat has a flavor very similar to beef liver.[15]

So yuk-bleh.

:tu:

Edited by psyche101

Numbers are all over the place, if that is the case, they say 130 were released (released?) which brings us to 223 Dolphins, indicating the SS had overestimated by more than 12%.

Maybe 30 of them ate each other? (not seriously)

Cooked dolphin meat has a flavor very similar to beef liver.[15]

So yuk-bleh.

:tu:

Yeah. That doesn't sound so good to me either. :no:

EDIT: I'd have guessed somewhere between a porpoise and a manatee. heh heh

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

Maybe 30 of them ate each other? (not seriously)

:w00t:

I doubt it - they taste like crap - Beef Liver remember! :lol:

Yeah. That doesn't sound so good to me either. :no:

EDIT: I'd have guessed somewhere between a porpoise and a manatee. heh heh

Not big on marine mammal flavour, I would not eat a Manatee on Porpoise.

But I do have a Tee Shirt that says:

I LOVE ANIMALS

THEY TASTE DELCIOUS