Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Most Important Amedment...

gantonio45

Here is a topic for discussion for everyone here, and I'm curious to see and hear what you all have to say.

Given our current state of affairs in our country, and the way everything has progressed over the last decade; what you feel is the MOST important amendment in our Bill of Rights to defend, and why?

I'll give this post some time and then I'll post my answer.

Please keep in mind this topic is for good discussions/debate so please be respectful of everyone's opinion.

• Like 1

if you're only including the amendments in the bill of rights, the fourth amendment

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

seems pretty important right now.

• Like 4

if you're only including the amendments in the bill of rights, the fourth amendment

seems pretty important right now.

Yeah, that's a good one.

The first.

While I agree the 4th is important, it really is only an extension to the right to privacy and the freedom of the individual that the first enshrines.

This freedom of individuality - the right to be who you are, to think independently, speak your mind and believe as you will - is the right which should be the most inalienable.

The first.

While I agree the 4th is important, it really is only an extension to the right to privacy and the freedom of the individual that the first enshrines.

This freedom of individuality - the right to be who you are, to think independently, speak your mind and believe as you will - is the right which should be the most inalienable.

That is already written into the preamble, so redundant.

That is already written into the preamble, so redundant.

The preamble is not law - it has no legal status.

The Ninth.

The enumeration of certain rights in the document SHALL NOT BE CONSTRUED to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

That is, an exhaustive and complete listing of the rights of man is virtually impossible.

Edited by Babe Ruth

First and Forth.

Unfortunately, lately, our society's "Journalists" have FAILED miserably to exercise their First Amendment rights.

First under normal circumstances but lately I'd say the second is overall more critical. If they ever remove the right to own firearms we will shortly lose all the rest anyway. The nature of government IS tyranny...period.

• Like 3

The first. It's first for a reason. Without it we can't argue for the rest.

the 4th

Knowing your stance for being in favor of random sheriff inspections for weapon storage at your home I think it's a bit contradictory. So what's up?

The first. It's first for a reason. Without it we can't argue for the rest.

Knowing your stance for being in favor of random sheriff inspections for weapon storage at your home I think it's a bit contradictory. So what's up?

That if there is a law allowing the sheriff to check whether I comply with the law it does not go against the 2nd.

That if there is a law allowing the sheriff to check whether I comply with the law it does not go against the 2nd.

I meant contradictory towards the fourth. Warrantless searches. Unless the law you speak of is an automatic warrant.

I meant contradictory towards the fourth. Warrantless searches. Unless the law you speak of is an automatic warrant.

checking whether you comply with the law is not a warrant less search, else the alcohol checks on Friday night would be a gigantic violation of the 4th. The way I propose and worded it several times is not that they can search your house but can see your gun safe and check whether your guns are in there. If you don't understand the difference I feel sorry for you.

The First amendment, or who knows, if it weren't for the first, we may not be having this discussion! Lol

• Like 4

The First amendment, or who knows, if it weren't for the first, we may not be having this discussion! Lol

I'm very excited that you all have taken a liking to this topic of discussion.

As for my answer, I have to agree with many of you, like andy4 in saying that in my opinion the first amendment is the most important to defend.

But why??

The first amendment to the Bill of Rights guarantees us the right to freedom of speech, expression, religion, and the right to peacefully assemble. I believe THIS is our basis to stand up against corrupt and tyrannical governments. Think about it, it is common belief that our government is attempting to chip away little by little at both the 2nd and fourth amendments. Many may think, once they do away with the 2nd (right to bare arms) we've pretty much lost any chance of fighting back.

While there is some truth to the fact that people will find it harder to fight back in the physical sense, there is one thing that trumps that, intelligence. While true that wars are fought with weaponry, all great wars are fought with smarts, and tactics. Our ability to maintain and fight for our freedom to assemble against corruption, to speak out freely and openly against things that are wrong morally and fundamentally does something greater than fighting with bullets can do. It gets more people to think. Think about their actions, decisions, and ultimate goals.

As long as we are willing to fight for the freedom to speak, we also fight for the freedom to question. If there is one thing tyrannical governments hate, it's questioning their decisions/direction. Now you might be saying, that's why this country has a democracy. We don't really. Yes, it's true we get to vote for our leader, but we only get to vote for the candidates that THOSE PARTIES decide to nominate. Now you might say, but that's why we have primary races. All I can say to that is, if you take a serious look at this past election, it was very clear that Ron Paul SHOULD have easily been the Republican candidate when all was said and done. Was he? Like it or not, Romney and Bachman were shoved down everyone's throats, and after awhile people were convinced that voting for any other candidate was just throwing their vote away. Is that a democracy when the main stream media cuts your choices by convincing you to simply not throw your vote away on a candidate that "can't" win?

Think about the first amendment and all that encompasses it. What was great about the Occupy Movement? Albeit, they seemingly lost their focus in terms of an overall arching goal, but in the early stages, it got people thinking, and talking. They brought the focus of the tremendous gap between the wealthy and the poor into the forefront of everyone's minds. And again, yes they seemingly fell apart after their initial push, because they never expected to really make a difference. When you don't expect to make an impact, you lose focus on what you're fighting for.

This is why, freedom to speak and assemble is the essential freedom to defend. The thinking masses have the potential to be far more dangerous then anything else; simply because once you get enough people thinking a certain way, it can lead to everyone standing up and fighting to maintain those second and fourth amendments; because they have enough people on their side realizing what is being stripped away.

So, I believe we all need to wake up and think; it's the best chance we have to actually make a change.

• Like 1

First and Forth.

Unfortunately, lately, our society's "Journalists" have FAILED miserably to exercise their First Amendment rights.

I thought it was "back and forth"? :gun:

Is this a discussion on what amandment is most relevant now?

Just curious if the amendments prohibiting the right to vote based on race, prohibiting the right to vote based on sex and the one abolishing slavery are not options.

#1 or #4 are good choices.

The right to bear arms may be the most relevent one right now.

The right to bear arms may be the most relevent one right now.

Because you are going to stop tanks, smart bombs, and trained marines and special forces with your large capacity magazine .223 Bushmaster?

Though you could probably cause a bit of a problem if you stayed hidden and picked off a few people as they were searching your house or looking for you through the neighborhood, I guess. Before they droned your a$$.

Id say first, most specifically the speech part of it. Without that it would be so easy to take away any and all other freedoms.

Because you are going to stop tanks, smart bombs, and trained marines and special forces with your large capacity magazine .223 Bushmaster?

Though you could probably cause a bit of a problem if you stayed hidden and picked off a few people as they were searching your house or looking for you through the neighborhood, I guess. Before they droned your a$$.

Stopping tanks and other equipment doesn't matter. It's the mindset that matters to many people. Also, it is not all about a goverment takeover. I have a handgun for my own protection.

• Like 2

checking whether you comply with the law is not a warrant less search, else the alcohol checks on Friday night would be a gigantic violation of the 4th. The way I propose and worded it several times is not that they can search your house but can see your gun safe and check whether your guns are in there. If you don't understand the difference I feel sorry for you.

Okie dokie...they can check the safe, but they can't check the rest of the property, which may consist of but not limited to, the rest of the house, including the bedside table, the barn, the dairy, the tool room, the old outhouse and the cars or trucks. If two people have carry permits that means they only have two guns. :innocent:

• Like 1

Because tenacious insurgencies could never work, huh?
  • Like 2