Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Inactive sun could herald new mini-Ice Age

UM-Bot

Scientists remain perplexed by the inexplicable and severe lack of activity being exhibited by the sun.

The sun\'s activity has dropped to such an extent that there are fears that it could trigger a miniature Ice Age similar to the one that occurred during the 17th century when the sun entered an extremely quiet phase that became known as the Maunder Minimum.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/261047/inactive-sun-could-herald-new-mini-ice-age

So, what would happen if the world cut its carbon emissions in half tomorrow?

Harte

• Like 1

It's not quite as severe as the thread title suggests. If we are indeed approaching a "Maunder Minimum", then it will have quite severe consequences to the climate of Europe for a while - as that climate is very sensitive to oscillations in the jet stream as the article explains.

I have heard no claims that a solar minimum equivalent to what occurred in the 17th century would have a comparable effect over the rest of the planet, however.

Edited by Leonardo

If it could cool down Australia a little, greatly appreciated

• Like 4

We really can't win, can we. Everyone's all panicking about global Warming, and then next thing you know we're having a new ice Age. Maybe we ought to get a stock of greenhouse Gases in, just in case.

• Like 3

What we really need is to set up a worldwide HVAC system. Only, who would get to control the thermostat?

A worldwide committee of wives would be my guess.

Harte

• Like 4

If we are going to see an extended period of low solar activity, it will be a hugely lucky break for us. The sun will be like the cavalry coming over the hill to save us from the carbon dioxide etc. that we are warming the planet with.

Of course it may not happen, and we should not count on it happening, and, if it does happen, we have no way of knowing how long the break will last or how effective it will be in helping us from our activity.

Sometimes I'm amazed at how clueless our scientists are. It's quiet like we've never seen it and they insist it should be most active right now. Based on their theories and models, that is. Maybe time to go back to the drawing board?

Actually, the idea that it should be most active right now is based entirely on observation, and theories attempt to explain these observations.

The Sun goes through fairly regular 11 year cycles. Observation of the Sun has been ongoing for a good many years.

Harte

if there was a cooling in Europe due to low activity from the sun, how long would it last? how long was the miniature one in the 17th century?

Why just Europe... our Earth rotates.

I think they were saying parts of Europe might get chillier because of fluctuations in the Jet Stream bringing down colder air? That got my attention.. because we are at roughly the same latitude as London ( a bit further south) ... and we are always getting periods where we are north of the Polar Jet and therefore stay COLD .

Just Like this ! <_< >post-86645-0-51871000-1390170394_thumb.j

post-86645-0-11760300-1390170412_thumb.j

• Like 2

These "Scientists" jump on any band wagon, what are they worried about just because the Sun is having a little rest, it rises in the East and sets in the West, the time to start worrying is when it stops doing this,and 1 side of our planet always faces the sun.

• Like 1

Science 1970s - global cooling/mini ice-age

1990s - global warming/rising sea levels

2000s - global climate change (coverers every contingency)

2010s - global cooling/mini ice-age

Well, that certainly clears that up and while I may being a bit a bit sarcastic about all this, it really does make one wonder how predictable long term climate forecasting really is. Suddenly the "sleepy" sun, and not man and his activities, becomes the major player in climate. That would certainly seem more logical to me as it's our planet's main energy source. We have instruments on Mars currently, let's see if Martian temperatures are also on the decline.

• Like 4

Maybe because it was a BBC report?

Harte

How stupid this is . I always believe scientists are stupid and these claims proves it ! They are dump, and stuck in their blind fold ignorance.

Currently there are + 17 degree celsius in Romania in mid of winter solstice, my father in law got tanned while enjoying a beer in his back yard ! Eat this scientists!

Edited by qxcontinuum

It astonishes me how some people bray their ignorance of scientific things every chance they get, completely unaware of what asses they are showing themselves to be. Local weather events are only slightly related to overall global trends, and very often go in the opposite direction. They prove nothing.

The planet is warming; we have lots of evidence of that in melting glaciers, flora and fauna moving northward, longer growing seasons, and so on. We also know the sun has over the last few hundred years shown an eleven year cycle in its activity, but this most recent high was much less than in the past. There are reasons to think but no real proof that this has a small effect on climate. We also know that levels of certain gases, known to raise global temperatures, have been increasing. There is argument over the significance of this, with a considerable majority of climatologists telling us it presents a danger.

Now if the sun is going to decrease its activity, and we don't know that it will, this may give the world a little extra time as the warming may as a result decrease, and even for a while cool down a bit. That would appear to be good news. Still, efforts to reduce the emission of global warming gases would appear to be the wisest course by far.

• Like 2

We went on a family vacation into the mountains of central Washington State and though it was below freezing in Florida, there was little to no snow in the central Washington mountains. I believe that even global events when taken as single years don't mean anything. It is only over decades that trends can be shown. Just because we have a cold winter does not mean an ice age.

Now as far as the Sun's activity, I agree with Frank that perhaps this is a Blessing in that we can maybe get our house in order while the getting is good.

• Like 2

qxcontinuum, Frank just basically called you a fool and he's right. How in the world do you think you are smarter than scientists? Your grammar tells everyone how intelligent you are. Please tell us all of your qualifications that make you smarter than these scientists with PHDs. I'm guessing I'm going too get an answer that deals with religion or that scientists are liberals that brain wash the masses.

• Like 1

I am on the fence with climate change theory, as some of you know. I am inclined to disbelieve the hysteria, but maybe, just maybe, the scientists and the greenies are right. Maybe we do need to make some changes for the good of the planet. And maybe this sleepy sun situation and associated cooler weather will give us a reprieve and buy us some time to set things right.

I am on the fence with climate change theory, as some of you know. I am inclined to disbelieve the hysteria, but maybe, just maybe, the scientists and the greenies are right. Maybe we do need to make some changes for the good of the planet. And maybe this sleepy sun situation and associated cooler weather will give us a reprieve and buy us some time to set things right.

Or it could lull us into a false sense of security and allow the deniers the opportunity they were looking for to debunk the theory and put out carbon emissions to their hearts and wallets content.

To me it is about more than climate change - always has been. We need to be responsible stewards of our home planet, a healthy and balanced eco system is the inheritance our children and all the creatures we share this planet with deserve from us.

• Like 2

I have for some time now pretty much given up hope that anything realistic will or politically can be done about CO2 emissions. What may help is a transition to natural gas and from there to solar and so on, over the next half century, but economic factors will be the main drivers, not the environment. Still, take what you can get, and do what you can on a personal level.

What I am saying is we may get damn luck with both the sun and technology going our way. Running out of oil wouldn't hurt (I think unlikely) so long as it doesn't push us to coal.

Absent that, when major cities start flooding and massive parts of the world become uncultivatable, then gas recapture and similar things will be tried, one hopes not too late, and at great expense that could have been avoided.

• Like 1

How stupid this is . I always believe scientists are stupid and these claims proves it ! They are dump, and stuck in their blind fold ignorance.

Currently there are + 17 degree celsius in Romania in mid of winter solstice, my father in law got tanned while enjoying a beer in his back yard ! Eat this scientists!

The winter soltice was a month ago.

If he's been sitting out in the sun that long, no wonder he got tanned.

Harte

• Like 3

This is interesting, I could've sworn I had just read something about recent solar flares which would in turn state the exact opposite.

Edited by WoIverine