Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery rock appears on Mars rover image

UM-Bot

NASA's Opportunity rover has spotted a strange rock that seems to have appeared out of nowhere.

The rover had taken a photograph of the ground in front of it earlier this month, yet a second photograph taken a short time later appeared to show a peculiar doughnut-shaped rock in the middle of the frame that hadn't been there earlier.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ars-rover-image

I said this on another forum section, the before pic has the same shape in it... as the rock... in the same place too!

news-mars-rock-before.jpg

I noticed that also. There's also another rock the same colour just out of frame on the left.

• Like 1

I said this on another forum section, the before pic has the same shape in it... as the rock... in the same place too!

What does that indicate?

Well it can't be a hoax, didn't Nasa verify it? Unless they are playing a practical joke.

• Like 1

What does that indicate?

coincidence no doubt..

• Like 2

So thats where the rock I threw out of my backyard went. I guess I dont know my own strength. :tsu:

I will be interested to keep up with Nasa on this one...

news-mars-rock-before.jpg

Sorry but you are wrong.

In the first image that is not a rock, its an inprint in a rock, in the other the white rock is in the more to the left and benith it you can see the half of that rock inprint that you described as the same rock.

• Like 2

Sorry but you are wrong.

In the first image that is not a rock, its an inprint in a rock, in the other the white rock is in the more to the left and benith it you can see the half of that rock inprint that you described as the same rock.

Mate that made no sense. He didn't say the rock was in the first picture, just that there was a shape that looked like it O.o

• Like 2

Mate that made no sense. He didn't say the rock was in the first picture, just that there was a shape that looked like it O.o

The point is that he also said that the shape was, and I quote, "in the same place". The obvious fact Diablo was trying to point out because many others have sadly missed it due to... being blind or something, I can't even guess, is that the two are not in the same place. You can still see the carved shape in the rock in the second picture, the rock only covers its top portion and is also slightly to the left.

By the way, what it looks to me is, a bit of metal piece has fallen off the rover when it was passing this same area last time. Why a loose bit would wait with falling off until that point to fall off is of course beyond me. Well it must be naughty Martians then. If it were wind all the other smaller, lighter debris would've been blown away first, but they're all in place, while a larger and heavier object of apparently different material to the surrounding rocks has appeared. Evil Martians, show yourselves!

• Like 1

is that the two are not in the same place.

Erm, yes they are, pretty much anyway

The point is that he also said that the shape was, and I quote, "in the same place". The obvious fact Diablo was trying to point out because many others have sadly missed it due to... being blind or something, I can't even guess, is that the two are not in the same place. You can still see the carved shape in the rock in the second picture, the rock only covers its top portion and is also slightly to the left.

By the way, what it looks to me is, a bit of metal piece has fallen off the rover when it was passing this same area last time. Why a loose bit would wait with falling off until that point to fall off is of course beyond me. Well it must be naughty Martians then. If it were wind all the other smaller, lighter debris would've been blown away first, but they're all in place, while a larger and heavier object of apparently different material to the surrounding rocks has appeared. Evil Martians, show yourselves!

I have to agree with Seeder, they are almost perfectly aligned. It may seem like it's a little off because the rock is disproportionate to the outline in the first image. It's bigger and thus creates the illusion that's not in the same spot, while it actually is and simply covers a wider area. That's how I see it anyway.

• Like 1

Maybe it's the rock creatures from that crappy movie Apollo 18 getting their revenge.

I have to agree with Seeder, they are almost perfectly aligned. It may seem like it's a little off because the rock is disproportionate to the outline in the first image. It's bigger and thus creates the illusion that's not in the same spot, while it actually is and simply covers a wider area. That's how I see it anyway.

Look carefully...they are not in the same spot. Close by, yeah, but not same.

• Like 4

I thought everybody knew that the Goron race lives in Mars and they're very healthy rock eaters. That is probably something one of them dropped while collecting an abundant amount with its bare hands and then taking it over to their home. :yes:

Edit Reason - Its instead of It's

Edited by Laurent

The rock seems hollow in the middle, rather like a geode smashed in two or more pieces and we are looking at the largest remaining part.

I thought that this event has already be tentatively explained as a throw back from one of the rovers wheels.

• Like 2

Certainly curious! Meteor impact seems the least likely thing. Just the statistically probability of a meteor falling in any one area of Mars would seem rather small, and probably many would burn up in the atmosphere, thin as it is. Weather seems unlike as well, winds high enough to move a rock that size would also likely move the smaller stones in the images and they seem pretty much otherwise unmoved.

Then there's the sci-fi explanation: it's a Martian lifeform that wandered into the scene and uses rocks to shield itself from solar radiation!

• Like 1

I thought that this event has already be tentatively explained as a throw back from one of the rovers wheels.

As it's roughly only a foot or so from the rover I also agree this is the #1 probability by a huge margin. After following Spirit and Opportunity for years and seeing how the Mars' sand reacts to the tires I have no reason to doubt the wheels did it.

Also digital misinterpretation, over enhancement (wouldn't be the first time nasa made things seem more than they are to get attention) , sunlight angles and other factors could be giving the pictures more drama than they deserve.

• Like 2