Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery rock appears on Mars rover image

UM-Bot

Am I the only person who thinks that the ground looks like an old brick road?

• Like 1

Ignoring the rock that "appeared" in the second photo, the rocks underneath look kind of "uniform"....... kind of like when we lay stones for a path.... Anyone else see weathered 90 degree angles?

I think it looks like a crushed coke can, so it was probably left there by some of the workers at Area 51 :alien:

• Like 1

Another news clip from today

Nasa says Mars mystery rock that ‘appeared’ from nowhere is ‘like nothing we’ve ever seen before’

Experts said they were “completely confused” by both the origins and makeup of the object, which is currently being investigated by Opportunity’s various measuring instruments. He said the images, from 12 Martian days apart, were from no more than a couple of weeks ago. “We saw this rock just sitting here. It looks white around the edge in the middle and there’s a low spot in the centre that’s dark red – it looks like a jelly doughnut. “And it appeared, just plain appeared at that spot – and we haven’t ever driven over that spot.”

“It’s like nothing we’ve ever seen before,” he said. “It’s very high in sulphur, it’s very high in magnesium, it’s got twice as much manganese as we’ve ever seen in anything on Mars.

“I don’t know what any of this means. We’re completely confused, and everyone in the team is arguing and fighting (over what it means).

more

http://www.independe...re-9070323.html

Freaking amazing! They're finally admitting something happened on Mars they cannot explain. Hell must have froze over!

• Like 1

Obviously it's a misidentified rock haryx.

Could be an invisible reptilian glowbird that is injured, enabling us to see part of it.

• Like 2

how come then , there's no indication of such slide or jump? You can clearly see all the small rocks or grains existing in identical position in both pics. How then did it jumped over all these landing exactly where it seats now, even more without disturbing ll other small rocks around. ?

I don't know, but it is not impossible, correct? Have you examined every one of the tiny little stones for any that are disturbed?

What I posted was just my impression of what NASA said they supposed happened.

Dr. Steve Squyres at NASA said that the closest the Opportunity rover came to the location of this odd object was 1 to 2 meters away, where it made a 'turn in place' maneuver. This seems a long way for a wheel to fling a fair sized rock, given the low speed of the rover (about 30 centimeters per minute).

Something like the action of a tiddlywinks disk was suggested. The edge of the object supposedly became lodged between the wheel and the Martian surface. It was then forced out under pressure, as the rover moved.

The object looks quite rough. Tiddlywinks are very flat, light in weight, and smooth by design. This is why they are so prone to slip out from under one another under pressure, and hop considerable distances.

Try, as I did, playing tiddlywinks with a couple of buttons, and then with a stone pressed down by a rounded object shaped like an upright wheel. The button flew away so far, I lost it. It very quickly becomes apparent how little the stone moves; about the same distance as its diameter, at best. This seems a very unlikely explanation for the appearance of now famous Mars object.

Edited by bison

Dr. Steve Squyres at NASA said that the closest the Opportunity rover came to the location of this odd object was 1 to 2 meters away, where it made a 'turn in place' maneuver. This seems a long way for a wheel to fling a fair sized rock, given the low speed of the rover (about 30 centimeters per minute).

Something like the action of a tiddlywinks disk was suggested. The edge of the object supposedly became lodged between the wheel and the Martian surface. It was then forced out under pressure, as the rover moved.

The object looks quite rough. Tiddlywinks are very flat, light in weight, and smooth by design. This is why they are so prone to slip out from under one another under pressure, and hop considerable distances.

Try, as I did, playing tiddlywinks with a couple of buttons, and then with a stone pressed down by a rounded object shaped like an upright wheel. The button flew away so far, I lost it. It very quickly becomes apparent how little the stone moves; about the same distance as its diameter, at best. This seems a very unlikely explanation for the appearance of now famous Mars object.

Interesting...

To look at the curiosity wheels there are breaks/gaps in the tire/track. If a stone gets stuck in one of these then gets lifted 45 degrees to sit about 2 o'clock it might take a few shudders of the rover then it shakes free and falls off. It could still be a small fragment of meteor that has been brought from ten meters away.

It would help if there was some scale to the rock.

The Curiousity rover's wheels are about knee high, right? And it does have a robotic arm, that can reach like 2 to 3 meters away, right? Maybe the night tech was messing with everyone.... He used the arm to drill a rock and then placed in where it is now. Not sure if the arm has a grabber on it or not.

I think one think to keep in mind is that Curiousity is actually very large, and that a very small rock might have tumbled away should not be a surprise.

ss-120809-Mars-Rover-19.grid-8x2.jpeg

• Like 1

It would help if there was some scale to the rock.

The Curiousity rover's wheels are about knee high, right? And it does have a robotic arm, that can reach like 2 to 3 meters away, right? Maybe the night tech was messing with everyone.... He used the arm to drill a rock and then placed in where it is now. Not sure if the arm has a grabber on it or not.

I think one think to keep in mind is that Curiousity is actually very large, and that a very small rock might have tumbled away should not be a surprise.

ss-120809-Mars-Rover-19.grid-8x2.jpeg

You would be correct. The weight of that machine demands a substantial power on the wheels, even at slow speeds.

No problem throwing a stone.

You would be correct. The weight of that machine demands a substantial power on the wheels, even at slow speeds.

No problem throwing a stone.

If it was thrown 1 meter, that is just a little further then the edge of that blue mat Curiousity is sitting on. Hardly an impossible event in my thinking.

• Like 1

The strange object on Mars was encountered by the Opportunity rover, not the newer Curiosity machine. Opportunity has been active on Mars for about 10 years, and is much smaller than the newer Curiosity rover.

Opportunity's wheels are about 1/2 the diameter of those on Curiosity. It can move at a top speed of about 30 centimeters per minute. The strange object is about 7 or 8 centimeters in diameter, about the size of a jelly donut, which it somewhat resembles.

Edited by bison
  • Like 1

Could it be a mushroom

The strange object on Mars was encountered by the Opportunity rover, not the newer Curiosity machine. Opportunity has been active on Mars for about 10 years, and is much smaller than the newer Curiosity rover.

Opportunity's wheels are about 1/2 the diameter of those on Curiosity. It can move at a top speed of about 30 centimeters per minute. The strange object is about 7 or 8 centimeters in diameter, about the size of a jelly donut, which it somewhat resembles.

And so much goes the possibility of having Opportunity rovers wheels moving a 7 cm rock while speeding at 30 cm / minute...well it is impossible!

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 3

Oh yeah... you're right. Sorry about that. The name Curiousity had been used in some recent posts. I should have checked out which rover it was before popping off. :innocent:

And so much goes the possibility of having Opportunity rovers wheels moving a 7 cm rock while speeding at 30 cm / minute...well it is impossible!

Hopefully it IS aliens.That would be super cool.

Exploring on Mars might be their threshhold moment for opening communications?? If we are only smart enough to look for the answer??

Edited by DieChecker

Bill Nye breaks down Martian rock mystery

http://video.foxnews.../#sp=show-clips

and still no one knows how it got there ??????????????

Well he didn't tell us anything new new did he? This will be a frustrating one for some as the only way we will know more, is with the passage of time and further NASA experiments... sigh - so its just to wait and see how it turns out!

double post

Edited by toast

It sounds a bit unlikely put that way doesn't it? But we have to think of what's more likely, they also suggested a meteor may haver struck and flung stuff about...hmm, well that will be a heck of a coincidence too to land just about where the rover is, but I guess it 'is' possible, as is a possible rock slide from nearby. It'd be cool if we had its current panorama view to see the lay of the land etc

Here you go, this could be a key phrase

"Opportunity rover hasn't moved in over a month as it awaits better weather". Photo taken on Jan 8th shows a rock that wasn't visible in previous images

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2542911/Mystery-Mars-rock-gets-deeper-Researchers-say-never-seen-like-rock-appeared-Opportunity-rover.html

So it hasnt moved in a month? is that 'bang-goes-the-theory' for the wheels moving the rock into place? Mind you the article potentially covers this by saying "Another theory is that the rock previously got stuck in a rover wheel and finally fell into its current position"

well, here are the 'Opportunities' wheels

rover1_detail_500.jpg

Im not getting carried away at all... just trying to work stuff out

• Like 2