Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists capture ball lightning on film

UM-Bot

Chinese researchers have managed to observe and film natural ball lightning for the first time.

Taking the form of a bright sphere of electrical energy, the enigmatic phenomenon was doubted to even exist at all until around the 1960s. Since then scientists have been able to recreate ball lightning in a lab, but nobody had ever been able to satisfactorily record a naturally occurring example.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/261091/scientists-capture-ball-lightning-on-film

I was expecting seeing something epic....

• Like 1

The very definition of anti-climactic. :no:

• Like 1

I have always found ball lightning to be a fascinating phenomenon, but the video was a bit disappointing.

• Like 1

I was expecting to see a clear shot of a ball of lightning zipping by at high speeds but instead I get, whatever that was. *Sigh* Maybe next time.

I guess in all fairness that was possibly the first video of it ever, or the first one I've seen of ball lightning, I guess scientists have to do it under certain conditions and follow certain rules. To my knowledge it's not exactly safe, so no bouncing around for now :(. Still this is to be remembered as a step forward.

I totally agree with the "disapointing" aspect of the vid.

But then, I'm not a scientist, and perhaps I do not appreciate whatever value is in that film.

They caught it on camera and a spectrograph, which is what is seen on the right side of the video.

It would appear that ball lightning is in fact just oxidizing silicon vapor. Neat.

• Like 1

Well I must say the distinct lack of "Ball" and "Lightning" really threw me with this one.

The fading green blue red thing was OK though :)

• Like 1

Hmmm, very interesting. Having been in a large electrical storm that lasted overnight at an altitude of 5000 feet in Colorado and having seen ball lightning for myself, I can't begin to understand what in the video would be considered ball lightning.

I could be wrong here, but I always thought ball lightning was when balls of electricity came rolling out along the ground. I remember reading about this in one of the Little House books and thought it was figment of the author's imagination. Years later, I found out it actually happens. And for some reason, I always thought that was called ball lightning.