Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Seeing people who aren't there

Abominable Snowman

This hasn't happened to me in a while and again it only lasted a few seconds but I knew what I saw. The day was last Saturday and mam was driving us to the supermarket in the next town. I always look on the road and at the cars passing to try spot anyone that we know and in that instance, I recognised the car(make,model,colour and registration plate) of my local bartender coming towards us (we were both driving quite slow). To make sure it was him I looked into their windscreen and it definitely was him down to the black hair and glasses. I was thinking to myself he must of went into town to top up the stock.

That night I went into his bar and told him I saw him coming back from (the town) earlier that day. He said it wasn't him that he hadn't left the bar all day and that his car and keys have been down with (the mechanic) all week! The mechanic by the way looks nothing like him! I felt so confused as I knew for a fact it was him and the car. So what happened there?

• Like 1

Perhaps a doppelganger, time shift, or a 'image' the person may have been unconsciously sending out.

Edited by AliveInDeath7
  • Like 2

No idea what happened, but it's always interesting to hear these stories. Too bad you were not able to identify the license plate number, or some other absolutely singular aspect of the car. Sometimes, once the conscious mind makes an association, the 'blanks' are filled in, substituting Wish, for fact. However, i'm not even trying to invalidate your experience! Roy Orbison was quite a gem!

• Like 1

Wow thank you both for your fast replies! It's great to get such wonderful theories in a matter of minutes and I partly agree with the doppleganger suggestion although time shift makes more sense to me in that case. May I ask AliveInDeath7, why would he be sending an image out to me? And bendigger0, I did see the licence plate once the car got nearer which makes it all the more strange. He is an honest person so I trust him but completely stumped. Thanks for the compliment-I'm glad I dug that gem up! :)

Maybe he's lying and is in fact having a fling with someone you know but he can't tell you who it is!!! Yikes!

Am I on Channel 4? *takes more meds*

• Like 7

Maybe he's lying and is in fact having a fling with someone you know but he can't tell you who it is!!! Yikes!

Am I on Channel 4? *takes more meds*

Ha ha Eldorado well that's a new one! :D He did tell me the night I was working there(Friday) that the mechanic has his car keys and to let him know if he drops them in. Well he didn't come in at all. I know that was the day before and anything could change but doesn't make sense he would lie. He gets stock in every two weeks or so, so it wouldn't be unusual. Also his wife cooks upstairs for the bar meals during the day and he couldn't just sneak off when there's a bar to run. Thanks for the laugh though! :D

• Like 1

Stories of seeing people that look like someone you know is very common. Even weirder are stories of people seeing their family members and loved ones (even those who live in the same house) appear when they were somewhere else at the time. My dad told me that (when I was small it happened) he found my mum in a bit of shock. When he asked her what was wrong, she told him that someone looking exactly like him, with the same clothes even, just went the other way down the street.

There are loads of stories like this.

• Like 1

Stories of seeing people that look like someone you know is very common. Even weirder are stories of people seeing their family members and loved ones (even those who live in the same house) appear when they were somewhere else at the time. My dad told me that (when I was small it happened) he found my mum in a bit of shock. When he asked her what was wrong, she told him that someone looking exactly like him, with the same clothes even, just went the other way down the street.

There are loads of stories like this.

Really? So its not as uncommon as I thought! Kinda relieved I guess. I know I'm a good judge of character and he doesn't seem to have any bad traits and is honest and loyal. Hmmm

I haven't had an experience where I've seen someone I know, but when I was younger, I remember pointing out to my parents a person standing down a corridor, only to be told that there was nobody there - I was positive I could see the person though.

I remember once, when I was younger, seeing my the back of my best friend just down the street from me. He had the same hair colour, the same clothes, the same manky green coat...he was even walking with a woman who looked just like his mother from the back.

I ended up running up to them and tapping the kid on the back saying my friend's name (David)...the kid and his mum turned round and, whilst they looked similar to my friend and his mum, these two obviously weren't my friend. The creepy thing was that the kid's mum then says "Oh, David, is this one of your friends?"

• Like 1

I remember once, when I was younger, seeing my the back of my best friend just down the street from me. He had the same hair colour, the same clothes, the same manky green coat...he was even walking with a woman who looked just like his mother from the back.

I ended up running up to them and tapping the kid on the back saying my friend's name (David)...the kid and his mum turned round and, whilst they looked similar to my friend and his mum, these two obviously weren't my friend. The creepy thing was that the kid's mum then says "Oh, David, is this one of your friends?"

Wow that is uncanny and you had the guts to go up to them to find out! Well guess you wouldn't of known at the time but that must of been a freaky deaky experience for you and him having the same name! Maybe it WAS your friend from a time warp is that what its called-him from the past. That was a great read anyway, thanks for sharing. It makes you think doesn't it.

I should of said to my mother, 'Follow that car!' And then I would of known for sure. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this as it is just after happening AGAIN with the SAME person and car. They were going in the opposite direction as us (away from his bar) and I saw the car and licence plate and him driving. He waved at us as he passed. We had got in home and I had received a text from this person asking for me to come up to the bar to collect something which I thought was weird when I just saw him going away from town. I asked in a text was it him in car and he said he hasn't been in the car all day!!! What in the hell is going on??

Very strange! I had the opposite happen when I was younger when I was still in school. A friend came up to me on a Monday and asked me why I ignored her when she saw me in the town centre on Saturday. I told her I wasn't there and she accused me of lying ands swore it was me! She waved at "me" both made eye contact but "I" just looked away and walked off. The truth was that I was at my Grandparents for the weekend. If it helps, it's just as freaky for the person on the other end of this type of thing lol. I hope you figure it out though, it can make you feel like you're going crazy I'd imagine!

• 1 month later...

Just had the same thing happen to me yesterday. Was heading to the office before heading out to work and passed one of the women I work with, same vehicle, glasses, hair, etc. Well long story short I get to the office and park right next to her vehicle which was impossible since I had passed her and she was heading in the opposite direction and wouldn't have been able to beat me to the office. So I get there and she had gone to the Dr. office which is right next door to ours and I told one of the other women I work with and she told me that the same thing had happened to her with the same person except she had sent her a txt message and found that she was still at the office.