Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

German Prosecutor Considers NSA Investigation

questionmark

Germany and the US appear to be edging closer to political confrontation. The Federal Prosecutor says there is sufficient evidence to open a politically explosive investigation into NSA spying on Chancellor Angela Merkel's mobile phone.

Last Tuesday, on the sidelines of an Social Democrat party caucus in Berlin, German Justice Minister Heiko Maas ran into Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier. Maas pulled his fellow SPD member aside and warned him about what could become a difficult matter. "Something may be coming our way," Maas whispered, and noted that the foreign minister could be affected as well. Germany's federal prosecutor, Maas intimated, is currently considering opening an investigation into the scandal surrounding the surveillance of Chancellor Angela Merkel's mobile phone by US intelligence. It's a step that would undoubtedly be considered an affront by the Americans.

Steinmeier listened attentively and nodded several times, but he didn't say much. At the start of his second posting as foreign minister (he previously served for four years from 2005-2009), Steinmeier is facing the extremely tricky problem of new discord in German-American relations.

read more

Well, I respect the countries that are being vocal about their disapproval of the NSA intelligence gathering methods...at least they are showing they "know"....

However...what are they going to do about? Quit trading with us?...not likely

Boycott USA products....doubt it

Draw a military line in the sand?...never happen.

So they can cuss and fuss....stomp and jump around like their heads are on fire...but they can do absolutely nothing about it. Neither can anyone else.

Edited by Jeremiah65

Well, I respect the countries that are being vocal about their disapproval of the NSA intelligence gathering methods...at least they are showing they "know"....

However...what are they going to do about? Quit trading with us?...not likely

Boycott USA products....doubt it

Draw a military line in the sand?...never happen.

So they can cuss and fuss....stomp and jump around like their heads are on fire...but they can do absolutely nothing about it. Neither can anyone else.

How about stopping the data exchange agreement and stopping the discussions for the free-trade agreement (both possibilities favored by both the European and German parliament)?

• Like 3

I think germany should do it. History should record this and other governments can take the same route. Diplomacy is there to hear from other governments. Better your diplomacy and human understanding rather than your bugs. Listenning someone without their consent is also advocating sinister plans to the ones being listened. Unacceptable on human level. US doing wrong to an ally if is done considering that 'they cant to do anyting against us' it just makes things worse. I hope that above post doesnt come frm an american. It sounds rather crazy to look at it that way. 'we did a crime and because we think we can get away with it the act is legit.' awful way to look at justice. Such a mentality would make the earth a jungle. If this will be the case iran or any country ought to have as many nuke as it feels fit. It might need it in the jungle one day.

Edited by thyra

That would be a start, but any real ramifications I am afraid would dissolve into mist and steam.

IF the EU presented a United front on the topic of "stop doing this or else we will not negotiate trade with you"...then perhaps someone will have to cool their jets.

I said this a few months back. If the USA doesn't cool it with some of our "allies"...we are soon gonna be standing around all by ourself like a spoiled kid shouting "my bat, my ball, my rules"...."Hey...why doesn't anyone want to play with me anymore?"

• Like 2

They are spying too so I don't look for much to be said except for political gain in their own country. Do I think all this spying is right, no I don't, it needs to stop except when there is probable cause that they are dealing with a terrorist.

• Like 1

I sense a lot of hypocrisy with a lot of these countries complaining :whistle:

• Like 1

They should absolutely take this to a high court - it's the dawn of a new era and the whole world seems to be acknowledging that the emperor isn't wearing clothes. America's power-trip days are over and no one seems to have any qualms about putting them in their place now. With enough global pressure, they will have no choice but to shut the spying operations down (at least in front of the cameras)

Hypocrisy is exactly the right word for this.

I am German citizen (through birth) and my personal relations with the US have never been so good and firm than today.

My relations to Germany however are rather cool...