Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

In Iowa, a fight for the soul of the GOP

questionmark

GRINNELL, Iowa — Two years from now, Republicans will formally kick off the process of nominating a presidential candidate with caucus meetings in church basements, community centers and school classrooms. The candidate they nominate will rise or fall, in part, based on the grass-roots prowess of the Republican Party’s organization here and in other swing states.

But as they gather for biennial caucuses Tuesday evening, many Republicans, including Gov. Terry Branstad, worry that their party, run by supporters of former congressman Ron Paul, the libertarian firebrand, isn’t up to the challenge. Branstad is leading a not-so-quiet push to wrest control of the Iowa party, one front in the war for the soul of the GOP. And though the presidential contest is two years away, the health of the state party could affect the GOP’s more-immediate chances at winning control of the U.S. Senate.

The fight mirrors feuds within other Republican Party organizations, from states such as Arizona, Nevada and Maine to the Republican conference in the U.S. House of Representatives, where insurgent outsiders seized control in 2008 and 2010. Now, the establishment — led by long-time operatives and party elders, including Branstad and House Speaker John A. Boehner (Ohio) — is fighting back.

Read more

dam "ron paul republicans" people who actually want a limited government, lower taxes and not get paid off by special interest, yep lets get rid of them I would much rather have corrupt fake SOB's like Romney and Christie :innocent:

• Like 5

The GOP is slowly following the path of the dinosaur....extinction. More and more people are coming around to thinking that maybe less government interference in your life is a good thing.

The Libertarian Party is statistically the fastest growing party in the USA. Just how many Independents embrace the pholosophy of big fredom and small gov is yet to be seen. I am not sure how things will pan out in the mid terms....in my opinion, both the Dems and Repubs need to be sent packing to send a message for the next presidential election. We do not want another election where we have to chose between a Giant D0uche or a t*rd sandwich....(echoes of South Park!)

• Like 1

The GOP has a soul? Last I heard they sold it to some guy at a cross roads.

• Like 4

I use to have some hope for a more libertarian republican party. After I saw what they did to Ron Paul, I realised the establishment will never give up power. Though Rand is playing the game bette then his father did, So I guess I will wait and see. Though I wont hold my breath.

• Like 1

I use to have some hope for a more libertarian republican party. After I saw what they did to Ron Paul, I realised the establishment will never give up power. Though Rand is playing the game bette then his father did, So I guess I will wait and see. Though I wont hold my breath.

As soon as you start playing their game you become part of the establishment.

• Like 1

As soon as you start playing their game you become part of the establishment.

If you see any establishment support, you know he sold out.

If you see any establishment support, you know he sold out.

Part of the game is when the establishment convince the 'people' that a member of the establishment is really not.

Part of the game is when the establishment convince the 'people' that a member of the establishment is really not.

Yea but thats easy to see through with just a little digging. I knew 0bama was sold out after 15 mins of looking at his past and current relationships. From that I knew he was lieing about damn near everything he said. Knew the same about every GOP running as well, other then Ron Paul.

Thats why I think its funny watching people argue over who would be better, once the final 2 are picked.

I actually think it is more of a three way battle with the libertarian, tea party and traditional republicans all fighting for control. And if anything the Ron Paul branch is the smallest.

• Like 1

I actually think it is more of a three way battle with the libertarian, tea party and traditional republicans all fighting for control. And if anything the Ron Paul branch is the smallest.

I would say libertarian, tea party and "moderate" republicans.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...