Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant blue diamond unearthed in South Africa

UM-Bot

A rare and highly valuable blue diamond has been found in South Africa's famous Cullinan mine.

The remarkable blue 29. 6-carat diamond was extracted by Petra Diamonds and could be worth almost $20 million. Blue diamonds are more rare and valuable than regular diamonds with Cullinan mine being one of the world's best known sources.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...in-south-africa

• Like 3

These are very pretty :)

Girls!

• Like 1

I have a piece of coloured broken glass that looks better. Will never understand what people see in this, only good u get from diamonds is when they r used for industry, drilling and stuff.

I have a piece of coloured broken glass that looks better. Will never understand what people see in this, only good u get from diamonds is when they r used for industry, drilling and stuff.

I'm not a fan of them either.....although some of them are pretty. :rofl:

• Like 2

It's hard to see the "blue" though especially when sitting on that textured cloth.

But I do like crystals though and these ones look nice raw or polished.

It's hard to see the "blue" though especially when sitting on that textured cloth.

The image is just a stock image, it doesn't show the diamond mentioned in the article.

I can see Mr Epsteins planes flying over there now from Antwerp, are do they own the land already? Just asking.

Also, I wonder how much the person got who found the diamond. Probably 2.50 quid, and another 2.50 because it's a big one. And them sone farts sell the damn thing for 20 million. <_<

• Like 2

Open the article and you can see the raw stone they found, very blue indeed. You can heat treat certain diamonds (I believe ones that contain boron) and end up with dazzling blue stones, but natural blue diamonds are extremely rare. Look up the Hope Diamond to see a cut natural blue stone.

Hardly a "giant" stone...The largest diamond 'The Cullinan' weighed in @ a whopping 3,106.75 Carats....that's over 1.2 pounds!

The Cullinan was found in S. Africa in 1905....then cut into 11 gems, the 2 largest pieces are the 530.2 ct 'Great Star Of Africa' and the 317.4 ct "Lesser Star Of Africa" and were @ that time the first and third largest cut stones in the world. (And are part of the Crown Jewels of England). Now they are the 2nd and 4th as the "Golden Jubilee' is the now the largest @ 545.67 ct, and give to the King of Thailand in 1997.

Also, the Excelsior was found in S. Africa in 1893, and rough weight was 995.2 ct.

FYI: A precious stone becomes a gem after it's cut/polished, and becomes a jewel after being set into a ring, bracelet, etc. (jewelry).

Pinks, mostly from Aus, usually command top $$$.

Edited by scorpiosonic

The smaller the better.Im only saying that because it will cost me less at the moment.Ive bought her an M3 convertible to put up with me.Im dreading seeing an Aston Martin brochure show up.

• Like 1

She can only drive one car @ a time. ;)

More FYI: For many 1,000s of yrs the Orange River in S. Africa has carried diamonds to the Atlantic. The fractured and flawed stones were broken up, etc, only the high quality stones made the long journey, and so 95% of those found on the W. coast are gem quality.

Back in the early 1900s, mining cos would have natives walk up the beaches in a line and pick them up as they walked along!

Now they use heavy equipment, remove all the sand, mine the rough, and then replace the sand. Also they use ships w/ large vacuums to suck up the sand offshore, and then separate the rough onboard. After a large storm moves thru, this process can be repeated in the same area.

Diamonds are so hard, you cannot get them wet. The Russians invented the "Grease Table" a slanted ramp covered in grease. The alluvial material is mixed w/ water and poured down the ramp and only the diamonds stick to the grease!

Generally the miner, (who does all the work) gets $20 for a rough stone that eventually sells in a retail jeweler's store for $1,200.

Check out 'Blood Diamonds' Documentary sometimes shown on History Channel for more on this. Covers the Charles Taylor and Sierra Leone War.......warning, NOT for the timid. (The 'Kimberly Process' has been mostly ineffective, and Debeers still controls most of the business to this day, but not as much as the early days.)

Edited by scorpiosonic
  • Like 1