Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

No fakery on Ghost Adventures?

Occult1

Hi,

I am not familiar with the Ghost Adventures series on the Syfy channel but I've found an interview with Bishop James Long, who claim from his point of view ( he is no cast member of the show, does not receive any pay checks) of his participation on GA that the events pictured are authentic and no fakery is involved.

http://beforeitsnews...ts-2463106.html

It's an interesting opinion, from one who participated in one of these shows and I thought it might interest some people here.

Edited by sam_comm

He might not be a cast member or receive pay checks, but that doesn't make him immune from lying.

• Like 4

Of course his opinion remains what it is: an opinion. But as for one invited in the show and not on the payroll nor under any contracts, he doesn't seem to have any reason to lie and hide the truth. He won't loose his job for it. Not sure what there is to gain for him in doing so. I may certainly be wrong, just wanted to share the article, as it may give some insights from his perspective of having been there in front of the camera.

Unless there is a conspiracy to mislead the public about the show and gain ratings in the process. ;)

Edited by sam_comm

Granted, I watch the shows and get fascinated by it, but I agree with my daughter that television doesn't give you a chance to see if it's real. Meaning, there is always that chance something could be faked. How can I, the watcher, tell?

Anyways, I do watch both Ghost Hunters and Ghost Adventures, and what I like and don't like in the shows. One poster here made a good point, it is just a tv show. I do have reservations when they refer that Ghost Adventures is on SYFY. Granted, the article mentioned the Travel Channel where GA is shown, shouldn't the talk about Ghost Hunters since it's the SYFY channel they keep talking about? Showing Zak Baggins pic doesn't ease the confusion either.

If anyone is up to fooling around on those types of shows, I'd blame the producers or production crew. They'd want the stars to be completely unaware so their reaction was utterly authentic. That being said, I do like Ghost Adventures probably the most because of a couple of reasons. The guys, Nick, Zach & Aaron are a crackup. And since so many other ghost shows show pretty much the same fare, that twist adds to the entertainment. Those guys are like the three stoogies. Zach is like Moe. Nick like Larry. Aaron like Curly.

Also their show features "the spirit box" and some of those conversations are eerie. I've been to Virginia City and experienced some weird things not in the buildings the crew always go to, but instead inside the old schoolhouse/museum sort of on the edge of town. We were joking about climing over the ropes across the staircase going to the upper stories. They were blocked to tourists. As soon as I put my leg over the rope, kind of teasing the people I was with, the upstairs door at the top of the landing started rattling furiously. There was not a whisper of wind. It was very hot. I don't know. It just was weird. How I wanted to go up those stairs! But the people I was with are very conservative, or rather, chicken!

I'd like to see them investigate that building in Virginia City.

They travel hundreds of miles to what, Scream that a ghost touched them and then to RUN away every time?

Sounds legit.

• Like 6

I don't want to say that it's reality television feeding off the gullibility of people who buy the 'evidence' they 'present' to their 'clients' but I am saying that they're making wild assumptions with already two drawn up conclusions: 'it's a g-g-ghost!' or 'there's something (pipe, heater, truck backfiring) that may be causing the problem or it could still be g-g-ghosts!' with the defense of 'draw your own conclusion from the tissue paper thin evidence we have'.

Edited by Hasina

If anyone is up to fooling around on those types of shows, I'd blame the producers or production crew. They'd want the stars to be completely unaware so their reaction was utterly authentic. That being said, I do like Ghost Adventures probably the most because of a couple of reasons. The guys, Nick, Zach & Aaron are a crackup. And since so many other ghost shows show pretty much the same fare, that twist adds to the entertainment. Those guys are like the three stoogies. Zach is like Moe. Nick like Larry. Aaron like Curly.

Also their show features "the spirit box" and some of those conversations are eerie. I've been to Virginia City and experienced some weird things not in the buildings the crew always go to, but instead inside the old schoolhouse/museum sort of on the edge of town. We were joking about climing over the ropes across the staircase going to the upper stories. They were blocked to tourists. As soon as I put my leg over the rope, kind of teasing the people I was with, the upstairs door at the top of the landing started rattling furiously. There was not a whisper of wind. It was very hot. I don't know. It just was weird. How I wanted to go up those stairs! But the people I was with are very conservative, or rather, chicken!

I'd like to see them investigate that building in Virginia City.

I grew up and spent 42 years of my life in Sparks ( Reno ) Nevada. VC was 20 minutes away. From the age of 16 to 30 we went there all the time. Took back roads 4x4 ing. We went into old mine shafts, and old buildings. We went into the place you mention, and we went into the places Ghost adventures went.

I can assure you 100% we never had a hint of anything happen, and I can say I was there at least 120 times.

But again, we did not have these shows seeding our brains in the 80,s with this crap.

Virginia City....Not haunted.

• Like 1

Of course his opinion remains what it is: an opinion. But as for one invited in the show and not on the payroll nor under any contracts, he doesn't seem to have any reason to lie and hide the truth. He won't loose his job for it. Not sure what there is to gain for him in doing so. I may certainly be wrong, just wanted to share the article, as it may give some insights from his perspective of having been there in front of the camera.

Unless there is a conspiracy to mislead the public about the show and gain ratings in the process. ;)

Except for the fact that he makes his living (a quiet nice one from what I've read) off of the paranormal and thus has a vested interest in saying that the whole thing is legit.

Funny how Ghost Adventurers have never invited James Randi or Penn Jillette to join them for an investigation.

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 1

Except for the fact that he makes his living (a quiet nice one from what I've read) off of the paranormal and thus has a vested interest in saying that the whole thing is legit.

Funny how Ghost Adventurers have never invited James Randi or Penn Jillette to join them for an investigation.

There is a common behaviour pattern that has been pointed out by various people. I watched the first season and bits and peices when my wife does and I find the show just full of drama.

A. Any room that has demonic history (more like what ever some one told them, Aaron 7 out of 10 times Aaron gets touched or "attacked" by a ghost.

B. They consider having goose bumps are a clear sign of paranormal, Instead of using common sense approach that they are wearing thin clothes in a cold building. Goose bumps can occur if you are cold, scared, excited, in awe, uphoria and various other emotions.

C. No point of view cameras, Just like ghost hunters, They always see something off camara.

D. Aaron has a tendancy to repeat what some one said in a dramatic way. I recall a lady said she felt a cold breath on the back of her neck when she walked through a door and Aaron repeated she said in a loud, talking to a toddler type of way with lots of arm movement.,

E. there evidence is flawed, heck during an interview they admited their evidence "can" be but they used the Unknown methods of research claim.

F. All these years and they still flee from what ever they claim to have seen and witnessed. I always feel it was done to be dramàtic tò get ràtings from it's viewers.

G. Their guests with their inventions are questionable, a few series back one guest was caught lying with a "technology" he invented and GA instantly claimed they never surport this guys claims(yet, the episode says other wise).

H.Aaron suffer the shatner syndrome, Aaron always find an excuse to take his shirt off.

The list goes on and on, I could go to lengths of pointing out flawed episodes, flawed acting and flawed evidence but it just get ignored by most here.

Yes coolguy, You can like a show that is fake, I like Duck Dynasty and that is fake as heck.

Edited by Brian Topp

Their "enhanced" EVP's that they play, always just sound like static to me. Even though Zac always says " Listen as you can clearly hear it say ...... "

• Like 2

To be honest I don't know much about the man, but from what I can find online Bishop James Long is the Archibishop of The United States Old Catholic Church and was a priest. I am inclined to think that's what makes his living.

I can't find any informations that he charges money for his assistance, it is likely that he does it to help for free at any rate he wasn't on the payroll of Ghost Adventures. If you have a link to share on that regard that would be welcomed.

As for James Randi, I don't doubt his capability of 'debunking' and exposing frauds but that wouldn't be my choice for an objective assessment. He has been (and still is) a strong advocator against the paranormal all his career.

Edited by sam_comm

Their "enhanced" EVP's that they play, always just sound like static to me. Even though Zac always says " Listen as you can clearly hear it say ...... "

Well I supose you can 'clearly hear it say...' when he has invalidated the random noise by priming the audience.

To be honest I don't know much about the man, but from what I can find online Bishop James Long is the Archibishop of The United States Old Catholic Church and was a priest. I am inclined to think that's what makes his living.

I can't find any informations that he charges money for his assistance, it is likely that he does it to help for free at any rate he wasn't on the payroll of Ghost Adventures. If you have a link to share on that regard that would be welcomed.

As for James Randi, I don't doubt his capability of 'debunking' and exposing frauds but that wouldn't be my choice for an objective assessment. He has been (and still is) a strong advocator against the paranormal all his career.

I never said he got paid for his appearance on GA. I said he makes his living off of the paranormal - this is absolutely clear. He is the archbishop of a Church (as in the larger sense of the world, not a building) that pretty much only exists online. Here it is: http://www.usocc.org/usocc/Welcome.html. His home church is in Louisville - an independent Catholic church. He also runs an online seminary: http://www.catholicseminary.org/Seminary/Assessment.html

Do a little test. Google Archbishop of Canterbury and then Google Archbishop for the United States Old Catholic Church and note the differences. Now, ask yourself, does he seem legit to you?

He has a celebrity booking service that touts his paranormal "credentials": http://www.genesiscr...mesLongBio.html

Here's a review of his exorcism/demonology book:

Review: The fake "Bishop James Long" and his book on "exorcism"

(From my review of the fraudulent "Archbishop" James Long's book on "exorcism")

It is important to note that "Bishop" James Long is not recognized as a member of clergy by any legitimately Catholic organization, Roman or otherwise. His well-known appearance on the notoriously fake TV series "Ghost Adventures" pretty much cements the fact of his charlatanism. He makes his living doing gay weddings... in Kentucky for desperate couples who do not realize he is not an authentic member of clergy. His "United Sates Old Catholic Church" has no existence offline, and "Bishop James" confines his in-person "exorcism" act to the various "paranormal conferences" which have basically replaced the carney trade (which, at its worst, they resemble) throughout the American south and midwest. This badly-written book could be seen as an unintentionally humorous curiosity at best, but actually it is a sick, unethical fraud.

As for James Randi, if I were a paranormal investigator, he or someone like him would be the FIRST person I'd want on my team.

Edited by Rafterman

I never said he got paid for his appearance on GA. I said he makes his living off of the paranormal - this is absolutely clear. He is the archbishop of a Church (as in the larger sense of the world, not a building) that pretty much only exists online. Here it is: http://www.usocc.org/usocc/Welcome.html. His home church is in Louisville - an independent Catholic church. He also runs an online seminary: http://www.catholicseminary.org/Seminary/Assessment.html

Do a little test. Google Archbishop of Canterbury and then Google Archbishop for the United States Old Catholic Church and note the differences. Now, ask yourself, does he seem legit to you?

No it is not clear ( at least not for me) if he does make substantial money out the paranormal. I haven't found any informations which support that so it would be pure assumption from my part at best. He must recieve donations and his travel expenses must be covered, that is very likely and current practice in this field, for his assistance in households and groups of investigation. But how much, if any, is unknown to me.

What is clear though is that he works at the Saint's Cristopher's Independent Chatholic Church in Louisville, Kentucky. (http://www.louisvilleoldcatholic.com/) And that he is in charge of the Inspire Radio network in association with the church. That alone, should make a living I believe.

It is part of the Independent Catholic Churches, a legitimate mouvement of Catholics that are not affiliated to the Roman Catholic Church.

Virtually all groups in the independent Catholic movement claim to have valid apostolic succession for their bishops. The bishops of independent Catholic churches are sometimes referred to as episcopi vagantes ("wandering bishops") because of their lack of affiliation with a larger communion of churches.

Source: http://en.wikipedia....tholic_churches

And

http://en.wikipedia....Catholic_Church

They've churches, attendees, and titles just like the Roman Catholic though they disagree on certains aspects. The numbers of Old-Catholic is estimated to 115,000 worlwide. (http://www.oikoumene...ic-churches/ibk) Not sure how any of this discredit the man.

Because of his theological differences with the Roman Catholic Church, +James felt that it was better to be ordained within the Independent Catholic Church. This decision was not an easy one and it was a decision that he made out of respect for the Roman Catholic Church and his calling.

Source: http://bishopjameslo...ng/Welcome.html

I speculate, but it seems to me that his paranormal views and perhaps other controversial opinions was not in the best accord with the Roman Catholic Churches. It may have motivated him to choose another catholic branch.

As for the critic, I've not read the book myself so it would be hard to reach a conclusion. But I am curious to know who writted this particular critic and where does it come from. It is not provided in your above post.

Edited by sam_comm

Wow, trying to trace James Long is a royal PITA. But a few bits to share :)

This pair of links is the photos from the signing ceremony of the Evangelical Catholic Church recognizing the United States Old Catholic Church in November 2012, and what the Concordat of Recognition is:

http://www.questpcs.com/evangelicalcatholicchurch/concordatphotos.htm

http://www.questpcs.com/evangelicalcatholicchurch/csjconcordat.htm

James Long is also the head of Para University. By the time you are done buying his training, you are looking at around 300 bucks, plus books- and of course one of the books he wrote.

http://www.parauniversity.com/ParaUniversity/Welcome.html

• Like 1

Thanks rashore, that's very interesting informations that everyone can look upon.

So he does indeed teach demonology and gain revenue from that. How substantial is less clear however. Is there a correlation to promote Ghost Adventures with his demonlogy class, I couldn't say for sure but that is certainly a possiblity to consider.

Obviously for the objectivity criteria I'll have to pass, and his opinion, even if interesting from his actual participation to the show, is one among others.

Edited by sam_comm

• 4 months later...

I'd love to go to some *haunted* areas with a camera and just myself *Wouldn't most of us" but my imagination is too tainted. I'd end up scaring myself, But aye I really want to believe but I just can't until I really have an experience that really makes me wonder.

Yeah there EVP's make me laugh sometimes because they say it sounds like the ghost said "Get out". When it end's up sounding like "Im here".

But it is entertaining..

Edited by EzyEllis