Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Magnetic net will trawl for space junk

Waspie_Dwarf

Japan's huge magnetic net will trawl for space junk

Gravity wasn't all fiction: tiny pieces of high-speed orbiting debris endanger our satellites. Now Japan is set to launch an electromagnetic net to catch them

SOMEWHERE in Earth's orbit, a satellite explodes into a terrifying cloud of debris. Moments later, Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are left scrambling to dodge the deadly space junk. This problem isn't confined to the Oscar-nominated space thriller Gravity – scientists are struggling with it in real life. Now a rather unusual solution is being tested: a really big net.

Next month, the Japanese space agency, JAXA, will pilot its "" for the first time.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Sounds very good on paper. Tethers and nets in space have been shown to have some unpredictable effects.

But it is a test, after all. And it's probably the best chance we have.

I think Japan should be concentrating all their efforts on that nuclear armageddon they're created.

Yes because space engineers and scientists are experts on cleaning up nuclear accidents. Oh, wait a minute they aren't.

Sorry but your post makes no sense. It is illogical in the extreme, a non sequitur of outstanding proportions. Not to put too fine a point on it, it is ridiculous.

Just because Japan SHOULD be putting more efforts into cleaning up Fukishima it does not mean they should simply stop everything else. How would that help?

Simple answer it wouldn't

We need the space debris as a sort of minefield for when the alien invasion force arrives. Alternatively, we could launch the space debris as projectiles at the alien ships.

• Like 2

I take it this will be a very, very large net?

Reading is FUNdamental!

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22129534.800-japans-huge-magnetic-net-will-trawl-for-space-junk.html#.UuCc9LRFDDd

"Unlike a net you would use in the ocean, this one is a 700-metre-long mesh of aluminium and steel wires that hangs from an uncrewed spacecraft."

"If next month's test launch goes well, it plans to build a 10-kilometre-long version to capture satellites that have reached the end of their lives."

• Like 1

Reading is FUNdamental!

http://www.newscient...ml#.UuCc9LRFDDd

"Unlike a net you would use in the ocean, this one is a 700-metre-long mesh of aluminium and steel wires that hangs from an uncrewed spacecraft."

"If next month's test launch goes well, it plans to build a 10-kilometre-long version to capture satellites that have reached the end of their lives."

Wow! I sure hope those robots have big hands.

We need the space debris as a sort of minefield for when the alien invasion force arrives. Alternatively, we could launch the space debris as projectiles at the alien ships.

Yes true. The japanese want to catch the aliens in the mesh, beat them to death and eat them. Same like they do presently with dolphins.

Seriously some of those comments here are pathetic... Japan spent their resources trying to help cleaning every country mess in space and all they get in return are whinings: Fukushima and dolphins.

They are trying really hard to handle Fukushima problem and since honor is the first thing they care about I am sure they are doing their best so stop whining.

About dolphins, every country fishes billions of fish per year and noone bats an eye. Japan kills like 200? of dolphins and now everyone is enraged. Just because those are dolphins doesn't mean they can't be eaten so similarily to Fukushima cause, STOP WHINING.

@ontopic, good job Japan. Hope it works well and that it is just first step to succesfully recycling those resources :)

• Like 1

Off topic , it isn't just the 200 , and the dolphins are not Fishes. They are smart intelligent mammals. Recently has been discovered that they have rationality like humans do, they have feelings including Fear. The male and female are pair for life. Their calfs are staying within family like humans do. They are the humans of the water. Killing is not necessary, it is absurd, it is outside normal charts. What if they would kill your family.? Will you give them excuses too? They killed jews they fight with Natzies against all other nations, they ravaged China in the past. They are savages and their wild behaviour cannot be washed away, it is dark insight their minds. Today dolphins tomorrow some minorities again.

I don't care about space. They are planning things to take in space but incapable of handling their own nature on earth. What nature? Wait they don't have any left . They surrounded themselves in concrete and waste.

Edited by qxcontinuum

From magnetic space net trash removal to Killing HumanDolphins and over fishing,thats a strech Indeed. I`ll have to concur with Waspie on this one We all need to get together and start Now solve all the problems,not just How much Can I make out of it ?

:tu:

Well the point of my rant is that if a nation want to impress all other nations with bold initiative in space conquest, first must outcome their retarded earth damaging behaviours. Otherwise will simply end up having space ambassadors looking for alien races as potential new foods.

Edited by qxcontinuum

Off topic , it isn't just the 200 , and the dolphins are not Fishes. They are smart intelligent mammals. Recently has been discovered that they have rationality like humans do, they have feelings including Fear. The male and female are pair for life. Their calfs are staying within family like humans do. They are the humans of the water. Killing is not necessary, it is absurd, it is outside normal charts. What if they would kill your family.? Will you give them excuses too? They killed jews they fight with Natzies against all other nations, they ravaged China in the past. They are savages and their wild behaviour cannot be washed away, it is dark insight their minds. Today dolphins tomorrow some minorities again.

I don't care about space. They are planning things to take in space but incapable of handling their own nature on earth. What nature? Wait they don't have any left . They surrounded themselves in concrete and waste.

Well the point of my rant is that if a nation want to impress all other nations with bold initiative in space conquest, first must outcome their retarded earth damaging behaviours. Otherwise will simply end up having space ambassadors looking for alien races as potential new foods.

No offense mate but your comments are as illogical as it gets. You are acting like Japan is the only evil in the world.

First of all, I do understand that those are mammals, but so what? As you said yourself, they recently found out that they are rational like humans. There is a possibility tomorrow someone will find out that pigs or cows are also rational, and what will you want everyone to do? Stop eating meat? Tell mi which animal doesn't have fear? All feel fear in one way or another, fear is just as natural as it gets. Also there are loads of species when male and female stay together for their whole life, it doesn't change anything. People were also supposed to stay together, just check out how many divorces are there now and you will see that this gives nothing. Same goes for their calfs. All of this doesn't proove that they are as you said "humans of the water", they are still animals, even though slightly more intelligent than other animals...

Killing is natural, they don't kill them for fun, they in fact kill them for food so I see nothing wrong in here. Following your "logic" we all should eat sand because "killing is not necessary" (PS: you kill vegetables as a vegetarian too, so you know, it is unnecesary...).

Now about killing humans, here you go even deeper with your lack of logic.

First of all they are not killing people, they kill animals, smart, dumb, what difference does it make? Secondly, show me any country, ANY, that didn't in their history have any massacres, wars, fights or anything similar?

Each and every nation done bad things in past. If you want to judge people now, just because some generals in the past decided to attack different country, then good luck in living in a world with only murderers (you are beeing one too). Japan did that stuff in the past, some countries spend billions of dollars for war just right now, they kill hundreds, thousands even more people day after day and I don't see you whining about them. America nuked Japan, killed lots of people to, Germany killed lots, and I don't see you whining under every discovery they make just because "they are evil and should take care of their behaviour first".

You just act like an ideal being, trying to prove that humans should stand on "lower plane of existence" because they are evil and should not invent new stuff because they don't deserve it, while you actually don't provide anything to this world, and I am 100% sure you are not ideal man.

You don't care about space, we don't care about you, everyone cares about something, its your own decision what you care about.

Next time before creating such comments think twice, or even more times, just to make sure you don't sound as illogical as you did here...

well i guess you have a point, entire humanity is f **** . We want to conquest space but we are worst enemies to our own kind and planet. In case will conquer the space I can't even think about what we are going to do to potential alien nations we might discover We can't even live in harmony with creatures on earth rather than outside... LOL I am just being straight rational now ...

Edited by qxcontinuum

Space debris mine field against UFO's? I like it.

Space debris mine field against UFO's? I like it.

In space, even a piece of orbiting metal the size of a pebble can punch through the hull of ships.

• Like 1