Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Would dinosaurs have become humanoid?

Still Waters

if dinosaurs did not die out and therefore evolved then e.t (aka alien) would best fit the description

Edited by SkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart

fascinating idea

i've heard it said (Carl Sagan, i think) that there seems to be a glass ceiling in the natural world when it comes to higher intelligence

is it just a matter of time, or does there also need to be a catalyst of some sort (eg. changing environmental conditions) that enabled humans, alone among other animal species, to develop intellectually. Why were we able to break through this ceiling hundreds of thousands of years ago, where our other primate cousins still have not?

if certain bipedal dinosaurs were saved from extinction 65mil years ago and evolved to be more dexterous and hominid-like in their abilities, even developing simple tools, is that a guarantee they would also develop a higher level of intelligence?

life... will find a way (Dr. Ian Malcolm)

The shark hasn't changed much for millions of years so why would the dinosaurs?

Any organism which is extremely well suited to its enviroment is unlikely to change much, as long as the environment itself doesn't change. Sharks are well adapted to their environment in the open oceans, and that environment hasn't changed significantly in a long time.

By contrast our ancestors changed significantly in the period around when they moved from the jungle to the savannah.

Likewise dinosaurs changed considerably in the time they existed on Earth - most of the dinoaurs we know well by sight existed for only a relatively short fraction of the time dinosaurs existed overall.

The video posted in the OP is interesting. Convergent evolution is well attested in nature - organisms with very different ancestries can look remarkably similar (for example dogs and Tasmanian Tigers) - and there's nothing that would have prevented dinosaurs from changing in appearance over time to a humanoid shape. The unanswerable question is whether they would have.

I don't have a problem with the idea of a humanoid dinosaur. I do have a problem with the scientist's idea of possible co-operation between dinosaurs and humans; our ancestors saw no need to co-operate with other human humanoids, so I don't see why they would have felt much need to co-operate with dinosaurian humanoids.

Nor is it new:

http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2009/11/11/richard-dawkins-smart-dinosaurs/

Regular readers will know that I’m not exactly a fan of the idea – discussed here and there in the technical (Russell & Séguin 1982, Russell 1987), popular (Hecht 2007, Socha 2008, Naish 2008) and speculative literature (McLoughlin 1984, Magee 1993) – that non-avian theropod dinosaurs might have evolved into humanoids had they not bought the farm 65 million years ago [image below by Matt Collins].

i-c8696aa66cf21ef88bcdc15e1e58dd27-Collins-dinosauroid-Nov-2009.jpg

if such a creature had evolved i wonder what the impact of that would have been on our own development

would higher primates have appeared at all in the biological record?

there is sound evidence that neanderthals were driven to extinction because of later interactions with modern humans

if hominids had developed in this alternative history i wonder then if the presence of highly intelligent dinosauroids would have inadvertently suppressed modern human development?

• Like 1

They're called birds.

• Like 2

What Rlyeh said... What is the point of this article if dinosaurs are birds? I don't see birds evolving hands anytime soon.

delete

Edited by Rlyeh

What Rlyeh said... What is the point of this article if dinosaurs are birds? I don't see birds evolving hands anytime soon.

Just because some dinos evolved into avians, doesn't mean thats the only path evolution could have taken...

• 3 weeks later...

- haven't penguins been toying with the idea for at least a couple of years already? Just gotta get the hands figured out...

penguin.jpg

• Like 1