Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gang Rape Ordered By Indian Village Elders

Commander CMG

A woman in India has been allegedly gang-raped by 13 men on the order of village elders.

The 20-year-old was reportedly attacked by the men in Subalpur village in West Bengal’s Birbhum district.

She told the police she was gang-raped through the night so many times that she lost count.

"People from the village, men my father's age, and those who I knew as neighbours, as uncles and brothers raped me," she said.

She was accused of breaking tribal rules by having an affair with a man from a different tribe.

The pair were found by the villagers who set up a kangaroo court and levied a fine of 50,000 Indian rupees (£500) on the couple.

The girl's family could not afford to pay the crime and as punishment ordered the gang rape.

The following day the family sneaked out of the village and reported the matter to the police.

arrow3.gifView: Source:

That is absolutely disgusting and barbaric. And all they have to do is pay a fine??!?!

• Like 3

So ignorant. Someone should go and castrate all those men. :(

• Like 1

That is absolutely disgusting and barbaric. And all they have to do is pay a fine??!?!

I think you may have misunderstood. The girl's family couldn't pay the fine.

• Like 2

I read this story earlier and all I could think is that I hope this is a hoax story. I realize it probably isn't, and that's just horrifying.

• Like 2

From the article:

"According to India’s National Crime Records Bureau, rape is the singular fastest-growing crime in India. From 1971 to 2012 the number of reports has grown by 900%. The conviction rate is just 1%."

That is appalling.

• Like 6

From the article:

"According to India's National Crime Records Bureau, rape is the singular fastest-growing crime in India. From 1971 to 2012 the number of reports has grown by 900%. The conviction rate is just 1%."

That is appalling.

I think there is more of a push to report it. I think the rapes are not growing in number, just the reported incidents.

I think it's always been there, this cultural idea that that women are 'lesser'.

If you are raised to believe that woman are subservient and deserved to be punished, then have the 'blessing' of the others, this epidemic will never change.

They have to start changing the way they view women, and it has to start in the homes.

Edited by supervike
  • Like 4

These Men should be flooged till some wounds are open, forced to swim in the Ganges, and then Raped by Sacred Bulls.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/30/world/asia/suspect-detained-in-killing-of-mysticism-foe-in-india.html?_r=0

• Like 1

From this article: http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/newdelhi/indian-judiciary-needs-more-women-says-cji-designate/article1-1086111.aspx

"At present, out of 29 judges in the SC (Supreme Court), only two are women. Justice Gyan Sudha Misra was appointed as an SC judge four years after Justice Ruma Pal, the third woman judge to reach the top court, retired in 2006.

There are 52 women out of the working strength of around 650 judges in all high courts. The Calcutta HC has had only 10 women judges in the last 150 years."

That might be part of the problem too.

• Like 2

This village sounds like a horrible and depraved place. I wonder if everyone looks alike?

• Like 2

I think you may have misunderstood. The girl's family couldn't pay the fine.

Ahh! You are right, I read it fast at work, thank you. That makes it all even worse though :(

• Like 1

Any culture that has a "caste" system is going to put very little value on human life and human dignity.

• Like 7

I do not understand what this is supposed to accomplish other than to sanction revenge and violence.

It's disgusting and that country, or at least that particular area, is not going to change until enough people get the wontons to demand that this backward way of thinking be tossed away and make it clear it has NO place in a society.

It is sad that there are still plenty of places in the world that seek to place anyone so low that violent acts on them are condoned and even encouraged.

Sad that our race is still so bloody primitive and backwards.

• Like 2

Elders ordered the punishment, surely India has a law enforcement agency as well? Why are they not removed from their positions and taken for a long drive somewhere? Can one just call a bit of land tribal, and do what they heck they want?

• Like 1

Elders ordered the punishment, surely India has a law enforcement agency as well? Why are they not removed from their positions and taken for a long drive somewhere? Can one just call a bit of land tribal, and do what they heck they want?

I find it just as repugnant that the village men just go ahead and fulfil the order. "Gang rape the girl that loves a man from that filthy other tribe? Yeah, that sounds fu...errrreasonable!"

:angry:

• Like 2

This village needs Jesus

Sure they didn't already have him?

Sure they didn't already have him?

Jesus brings healing. Demons bring disease. Although I think India refers to unclean spirits as Djinn, or Jinn?

India wouldn't be in the state it is now if it accepted Jesus.

Jesus brings healing. Demons bring disease. Although I think India refers to unclean spirits as Djinn, or Jinn?

India wouldn't be in the state it is now if it accepted Jesus.

Frightening that you believe a ritual blood sacrifice 2,000 years ago, will somehow absolve you of your current evil actions...