Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Great Big Albino pic thread

Canadian Rottweiler

Do you know its fake? I am also curious. this fight is pointless.There is no solid way to prove either of you right.

319185[/snapback]

very true, so i shall just leave it as it is...

albinos aren't that rare i saw 3 albino chipmunks on a wildlife park documentary today....

cool.gif

Loved the bat!

It was cool!

The albino deer in your first post isn't an albino, although there are albino deer, if you look closely its a "piebald" deer, where they have white and colored coats...I will try and find some links with other photos of them. Also I have seen on a tv show on the discovery channel a piebald chimpanzee, I think her name is Pinky, she is really really odd but cool looking. She has one blue eye and one brown eye and shows partial albanism, along with patches of color. I have searched for links with pics for her but those are had to come by. Cool albino pics, I am horse person and albinism doesn't occur in horses. There are white horses, but they have pigmented eyes, there are luecistic (sp?) horses but they are called cremellos and perlinos and smokey blacks. Color patterns in different species are fascinating. I keep wondering if albanism is in so many species, including plants, the mutation has been around for millions of years, makes you wonder if there were albino dinosaurs???

The albino deer in your first post isn't an albino, although there are albino deer, if you look closely its a "piebald" deer, where they have white and colored coats...I will try and find some links with other photos of them. Also I have seen on a tv show on the discovery channel a piebald chimpanzee, I think her name is Pinky, she is really really odd but cool looking. She has one blue eye and one brown eye and shows partial albanism, along with patches of color. I have searched for links with pics for her but those are had to come by. Cool albino pics, I am horse person and albinism doesn't occur in horses. There are white horses, but they have pigmented eyes, there are luecistic (sp?) horses but they are called cremellos and perlinos and smokey blacks. Color patterns in different species are fascinating. I keep wondering if albanism is in so many species, including plants, the mutation has been around for millions of years, makes you wonder if there were albino dinosaurs???

http://www.thomsonfoundation.org.uk/sierra...rism/albino.jpg

albinism doesn't occur in horses

Why not? huh.gif Many species don't have known specimens yet, but it's still possible.

albinism doesn't occur in horses

Why not? huh.gif Many species don't have known specimens yet, but it's still possible.

321505[/snapback]

user posted image

hmm...

odd...

some say there's no such thing.. that the gene is lethal to the horse.. others say that there are. Well.. even if the gene is letal to the horse and the horse is born with the gene... reguardless it existed.

I wonder why it would be lethal to horses? I've never heard of anything like that in any other species huh.gif

No idea. But, there had to be a few in order for them to even know that it was.

Trust me there is no such thing as an albino horse, what are called albino by people who don't know better are either of three things....there are genes that cause white horses (W) but they are not albino...they have pigment to thier skin and dark eyes, that by definition isn't albino. Then there are cremellos or perlinos, they are the luecistic form, very pale but even have markings. Any site that says they have an albino is misinformed. According to UC Davis Equine Genetics studies they don't exist and haven't ever. The third is another gene called sabino, where in extreme expressions of the gene the horse is totally white, but if you look close they have a few dark hairs somewhere on thier body. Its just an extreme form of white patterning. One of the horses on the link above is just a plain old grey horse that turned white. The grey gene overrides all others when its present in a horse and they turn from thier original color to white over time, but have dark skin. So in fact there are no albino horses.

But it is possible - mutated horse - albino? Why not?

Well then, can you explain genetically why this happens, and only in horses but no other species? huh.gif

most albinos aren't true albinos anyway, they are leucistic but look white to the eye. In the case of horses, many look white but do not meet the criteria for being albino because they don't lack pigment. There are white horses, yes, but they are white due to other genes, albino is not a mutation more a recessive gene. That gene, since it is recessive, when two resessive genes come together that gene gets expressed. The gene has never been found. The genome for the horse has been mapped especially when it comes to color. There is speculation that even if a locus for the albino allele exists, its getting filled by the creme gene and the horse comes out cream but has pigment. All albinos aren't mutants they are just the coming together of two recessive genes one from each parent. So the mutant theory doesn't work.

www.doubledilute.com has information on the cream gene and how albinism in horses do not exist

Isn't that just like the case of rabbits - rabbits can be white not due to mutations but just because of its dominant gene color?

Weird. Can you give some info (a source) on albinism not being a mutation? huh.gif

I'll do some research...

I can't believe that albino lobster? Rare and wierd, but pretty fascinating and cool!

All the albino pictures are beautiful! Thanks for posting them! clap.gif