Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are some planets more habitable than Earth ?

UM-Bot

Astronomers seeking signs of alien life are on the lookout for 'superhabitable' extrasolar planets.

In the hunt for habitable alien worlds astronomers have been particularly keen to look for signs of planets that exhibit similarities to our own, but now astrobiologists have suggested that what we should be looking for are planets that are even more habitable that the Earth is.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/261379/are-some-planets-more-habitable-than-earth

So how do you get a more habitable world than earth. The only theories I can come up with are less extremes. A steadier temperature all year round, planet wide, Less extreme or no season changes whatsoever, nothing like hurricanes or blizzards or floods or anything.

Sounds a little to perfect for me. We've only found one planet so far that can support like...ours. I think it's stretching the board to say there may be super habitable worlds that are far easier to survive on than earth.

So how do you get a more habitable world than earth. The only theories I can come up with are less extremes. A steadier temperature all year round, planet wide, Less extreme or no season changes whatsoever, nothing like hurricanes or blizzards or floods or anything.

Sounds a little to perfect for me. We've only found one planet so far that can support like...ours. I think it's stretching the board to say there may be super habitable worlds that are far easier to survive on than earth.

Why is it a stretch to say that there MAY be super habitable planets? They are not claiming super habitable planets exists, they are only saying they MAY exist. They dont know, you dont know and I dont know.

Would be nieve to think that earth is the most habitable planet out of how many million in the galaxy.

There is a chance it is though. A very slim chance.

i think it's silly to focus on a superhabitable planet out there when we are having such a hard time finding a moderately habitable one in the first place.

Perhaps it is more pristine than this planet, with clean, clear water and beautiful forests, and a multitude of animals that have never met humans before. Of course, if that is the case I wouldn't want humans to mess it up like they have Earth.

Several ways. our oceans are salt water for example. perhaps a planet with enitrely freshwater oceans. Or one that has no water locked in polar ice caps. No extreme weather. So many different ways that another planet could be super habitable,

Even if we found a planet that was better than earth, we wouldn't be able to survive against the bacteria, looks like we are staying here.

• Like 1

I don't know about finding a world better suited for us than the one we evolved to survive on. Sounds unlikely

• Like 1

Why is it a stretch to say that there MAY be super habitable planets? They are not claiming super habitable planets exists, they are only saying they MAY exist. They dont know, you dont know and I dont know.

Because as others say, it's a big stretch. We have not even found a planet half as habitable as earth is and then define habitable. Habitable for us or someone else. Say they find a warm planet all year round, no extreme weather, basically a tropical paradise world wide. We finally send someone there but there's a single particle in the air that humans can't withstand, or we can't eat the food. Habitation is all a matter or perspective.

I live in a rather tropical region of Australia and the climate ok, we get massive heat waves, floods, huge storms, spiders looking to eat your face. But if you ask someone from a third world country or where the climate is absolutely horrible, they'd say Australia is perfect and like heaven. If you get what I mean. It may look perfect from one perspective but in reality logically, everywhere has it's extremes.

Unless we actually develop something akin to Star Trek's warp drive, it's all rather academic. Also, we haven't exactly done such a good job with this planet and our stewardship thereof.

No Humans = More Habitable

No Humans = More Habitable

Venus has no humans but I wouldn't call it more habitable

Like spacecowboy says ... this one is the one we are adapted to. If we could colonize a planet with the right atmosphere and climate ,full of fruit and nut trees and prolific edible plants with fresh water springs everywhere (hot and cold) we'd probably sicken and die because of unfamiliar bacteria or such.

• Like 1

We should be trying to discover new means to travel by bending space or so called worm holes. It is the only way. Conventional speeds , even light speed won't help through meteorite fields. Higher speed in space can easily became uncontrollable.

We should be trying to discover new means to travel by bending space or so called worm holes. It is the only way. Conventional speeds , even light speed won't help through meteorite fields. Higher speed in space can easily became uncontrollable.

They are working on it.

All they've been finding lately are really large planets, orbiting closely around smaller stars. That bias is due to the current state of our technology.

So they are trying to fluff up the findings that they have so far.

Its not our technology that prevents us from deep space travel, it is our political-economical system who s holding back the progress. If we had followed the evolution further that started in the 30ties we already would have colonies on Mars for decades. If you see what the Nazi's have acomplished, as a single country, in hardly 2 decades we would even be further. But the money is controlled by a small group of people who are constantly use it to manipulate our economical system for personal gain and control. In fact its our political system who allows that. Democracy in its current form is simply a joke, who thrives on overcroping.

Show me a planet where the air isn't polluted with the stupidity of the human race and I will show you a habitable planet.

Show me a planet where the air isn't polluted with the stupidity of the human race and I will show you a habitable planet.

Venus? Mars? Jupiter?