Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Will People Unite?

ambelamba

I guess not.

We have a perfect historical example below the US border. Study how Meso-Americans reacted when Spaniards came. They did not unite under one goal. In fact, they used the opportunity to crush the local competitors. And the end result was far from pretty.

BTW, people don't know this ugly fact: Being warlike doesn't equal being good at waging wars. If convergent evolution works around the galaxy, I am pretty damn sure the aliens have their equivalent of Clausewitz. And a civilization much older than us have enormous compendium of experiences in wars and combats.

Unite with whom?

History will show that

religions divide people.

Money divides people.

Greed divides people.

The want of power divides people.

So as long as these things exist, I guess you are right.

• Like 3

I am reading some introductory articles about military tactics. Maybe it's just me, but NOT A SINGLE DAMN sci-fi novels deal with this kind of stuff at all.

People have always been clannish or tribal with a distrust of the "other". I think alien invasion might be the only thing that could unite all humanity as one tribe. Of course as with your example about Meso-America and also the example of the native tribes in N America it might not work out that way

I am reading some introductory articles about military tactics. Maybe it's just me, but NOT A SINGLE DAMN sci-fi novels deal with this kind of stuff at all.

Now I am confused.

Military tactics and people uniting? War does not unite people, it merely kills off the opposition and causes recentment with those who do survive it.

Sci fi novels have dealt with people uniting, they crew on star trek seemed to get on quite well with each other.

Am I missing your point or just confused, or both?

Sorry, I was talking about two different issues. Bad habit on my side.

EDIT: You know, I am terribly sorry for the rambling. Well, we all know that UFO and Conspiracy Theory are obvious bedfellows. I really can't articulate the stream of thoughts, but if we mix them altogether with things that I mentioned then what we see is one sick butt-ugly picture. Once we reach to this conclusion, maybe it's a good idea to dust it off and forget about it.

Ignorance is a true bliss.

Edited by ambelamba

Anthropomorphizing alien species again?

Tsk, tsk. :no:

• Like 2

Anthropomorphizing alien species again?

Tsk, tsk. :no:

I know what you mean but...if they are a kind of folks who bother to visit our planet, then...well?

• Like 2

Well? They kick our backwards butts and be done with it. I guess...

Unite with whom?

History will show that

religions divide people.

Money divides people.

Greed divides people.

The want of power divides people.

So as long as these things exist, I guess you are right.

Yep, it's just in the nature of human beings and it always has been. That is why I dismiss the idea that knowledge will ever free us from our self destructive patterns.
  • Like 2

Well? They kick our backwards butts and be done with it. I guess...

Usually, war is an extension of politics. I don't think things can be resolved like that so easily.

Religion does not divide people. It is only use as an excuse for greed, interest and power and other reasons.

• Like 1

do you mean "will people unite when aliens show up here"?

then i think you missed the point a bit with your example with the Spanish conquering America.

People conquered, killed and opressed other people for territory, resources, power and whatnot since, well, EVER.

Unfortunately, that seems to be human nature...

But i'm kind of convinced that this would totally change if the whole planet was about to be invaded by an ET species.

The human race has no "natural competitor", that's why we compete with each other and people get killed in the name of abstract concepts like politics or religion or money.

These concepts would become pretty obsolete under a global invasion threat and those rivaling instincts would be turned against your "Alien Clausewitz" and his troops.

The whole world might get their chance to get their s**t together for good...

• Like 3

Religion does not divide people. It is only use as an excuse for greed, interest and power and other reasons.

No. It is actually used to make yourself feel better about your insecurities. But, I believe most people find comfort with it, because no one knows where you go when you pass on.

• Like 1

What are denominations/sects if not division?

Is this more worrying about what will happen when the Aliens invade?

Don't forget that Ron speculated about how the Peoples of the World would pull together if there was a threat from Outer Space.

Lets not forget what ronald regan said

"In our obsession with antagonisms of the moment, we often forget how much unites all the members of humanity. Perhaps we need some outside, universal threat to make us recognize this common bond. I occasionally think how quickly our differences worldwide would vanish if we were facing an alien threat from outside of this world. And yet I ask - is not an alien force already among us?"

It is one of my favorite quote

• Like 1

Yep, it's just in the nature of human beings and it always has been. That is why I dismiss the idea that knowledge will ever free us from our self destructive patterns.

Com'n man think positive.It will be great when you and I fight under the same flag

not sure if I agree wjth you there

one the evolutionary advantages of religion is that it binds groups together...

dfferent religions equate to different groups

and we all know how humans handle opposition to there belief systems

we're right..your wrong ok time to attack in one form or another

do you mean "will people unite when aliens show up here"?

then i think you missed the point a bit with your example with the Spanish conquering America.

People conquered, killed and opressed other people for territory, resources, power and whatnot since, well, EVER.

Unfortunately, that seems to be human nature...

But i'm kind of convinced that this would totally change if the whole planet was about to be invaded by an ET species.

The human race has no "natural competitor", that's why we compete with each other and people get killed in the name of abstract concepts like politics or religion or money.

These concepts would become pretty obsolete under a global invasion threat and those rivaling instincts would be turned against your "Alien Clausewitz" and his troops.

The whole world might get their chance to get their s**t together for good...

I hope your right

If it was a full on invasion possibly

If the so called aliens offered any kind of ultimatum to us I wouldn't be surprised to see factions breaking off

don't have alot of optimism for the human condition as much as I'd like to

we're all too selfish,greedy and misdirected in our approach to well,pretty much everything

I guess not.

We have a perfect historical example below the US border. Study how Meso-Americans reacted when Spaniards came. They did not unite under one goal. In fact, they used the opportunity to crush the local competitors. And the end result was far from pretty.

BTW, people don't know this ugly fact: Being warlike doesn't equal being good at waging wars. If convergent evolution works around the galaxy, I am pretty damn sure the aliens have their equivalent of Clausewitz. And a civilization much older than us have enormous compendium of experiences in wars and combats.

Do you think you could add whatever you were thinking before you typed "I guess not"?

It isn't really clear, or rather, it is entirely too broad, a topic for an OP. Are you talking about people uniting against aliens? Uniting with each other? Uniting against the government for hiding aliens? Uniting against the government for colluding with aliens? Uniting against the government for being aliens?

You seem somewhat despondent that people won't unite, but you don't say what you want them to unite about.

• Like 2

"Think not that I have come to send peace on the earth : I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law." - Matthew 10 : 34-35

"Think not that I have come to send peace on the earth : I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law." - Matthew 10 : 34-35

And what did that mean? he wanted Christianity to become the Top Dog World #1 religion and all the others were false? He didn't want to start just another religion, that was the whole point. His whole point was about how systems of power had corrupted what God was all about and how it had become a way to keep the people under control. In other words, he didn't want to impose his religion on everyone, and nor did he want to start a revolution, that was what was so radical about him. In fact he actively declined to lead the People in an uprising. What he meant was that his message was above or beyond that of earthly systems of power, it was to do with the world beyond, and since this message was so radical it would mean the lives of those who chose to follow him would be completely upheaved, if that's a word.

And what did that mean? he wanted Christianity to become the Top Dog World #1 religion and all the others were false? He didn't want to start just another religion, that was the whole point. His whole point was about how systems of power had corrupted what God was all about and how it had become a way to keep the people under control. In other words, he didn't want to impose his religion on everyone, and nor did he want to start a revolution, that was what was so radical about him. In fact he actively declined to lead the People in an uprising. What he meant was that his message was above or beyond that of earthly systems of power, it was to do with the world beyond, and since this message was so radical it would mean the lives of those who chose to follow him would be completely upheaved, if that's a word.

You may well be correct in you assessment but still this is a case of religion being divisive