Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Grand Canyon 'formed recently'

seeder

Grand Canyon 'formed recently'

The world famous Grand Canyon, which snakes through the American state of Arizona, only took its present form relatively recently.

New research suggests that most of it was put in place just five to six million years ago. Earlier studies had claimed the canyon was perhaps 70 million years old.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25881953

regardless of its age, I would love to one day go and see the canyon, its quite impressive! Wouldn't mind having a camp out somewhere along it

• Like 2

I saw the Grand Canyon with my family at the age of four and still remember the absolutely magnificent colors of the rock, the depth, the grandeur of the place. It was an experience that will remain with me forever. Five to six million years is pretty old, though not as old as the so-called experts once thought.

• Like 3

5 to 6 million years ago may be recent in Geological terms, but when i saw the headline I thought someone had found out that it had been constructed in like the 1950s or something as a tourist attraction.

• Like 5

No no no.. If you're asking how old it is , I want to know the exact age so I can celebrate its birthday. What day month and year please.

• Like 3

regardless of its age, I would love to one day go and see the canyon, its quite impressive! Wouldn't mind having a camp out somewhere along it

I saw a bit of it when I drove over the Hoover Dam. Very impressive.
  • Like 2

For a second I thought they were going to tell me that these guys were right!

http://www.probe.org...f_the_Earth.htm

i wish they had a 'nervous twitch' emoticon.

• Like 2

i saw the grand canyon as a kid (about five or six). i thought wow that's big. that was about the depth of my impression at the time. i wish i could go see it now that i can appreciate it properly!

• Like 2

No no no.. If you're asking how old it is , I want to know the exact age so I can celebrate its birthday. What day month and year please.

They do not even know more resent events precisely, look at Jesus! So how about compromise, lets go for 01/04/68,000,000 BC?

Oh no, and here I thought the Creationists were gonna be leaping for joy at their 6,000 year old theory.

• Like 1

Went to the Canyon on a trip to the USA over 15 years ago (was it really that long ago!), and it is magnificent place.

If you do go, try to get on a tour that will take you on a walk down the canyon and back out again. Physically it's a strain, but the sights you'll see make it worthwhile - not least the colours on the canyon walls as the sun rises (you have to start out before sunrise because there is no shade on the way down.)

• Like 1

I am no degreed scientist, but I've always assumed it was formed by at least one ice age, and that it possibly took several different ice ages to erode it to the point at which it is today... -That's just common sense speaking through me though...

Edited by LimeGelatin
  • Like 1

I am no degreed scientist, but I've always assumed it was formed by at least one ice age, and that it possibly took several different ice ages to erode it to the point at which it is today... -That's just common sense speaking through me though...

This is just from memory but didn't I hear a theory years ago that at least part of the Grand Canyon might have been formed very rapidly when a glacial dam broke and sent a ton of water down through it in a short amount of time?

• Like 1

DOB 14DEC70125855 BC 14:34PM (UTC)

post-143986-0-44762300-1390933205_thumb.

Went to the Canyon on a trip to the USA over 15 years ago (was it really that long ago!), and it is magnificent place.

If you do go, try to get on a tour that will take you on a walk down the canyon and back out again.

... as opposed to leaving you there? Yes, I expect it's probably a good idea to pay that little extra ... :unsure2:

• Like 1

Lol! I suppose the "and back out again" was a bit redundant. :wacko:

It's a 2 hour walk down, and a near 8 hour walk back out (and up) again!

• Like 1

This is just from memory but didn't I hear a theory years ago that at least part of the Grand Canyon might have been formed very rapidly when a glacial dam broke and sent a ton of water down through it in a short amount of time?

No, you heard that it was formed when the terra firma was destroyed by GOD and it rained for forty days and forty nights... Or, maybe that was the first theory I ever heard... Don't mean to superimpose or anything like that... -LoLzzz

No, you heard that it was formed when the terra firma was destroyed by GOD and it rained for forty days and forty nights... Or, maybe that was the first theory I ever heard... Don't mean to superimpose or anything like that... -LoLzzz

Yes, that was reported in this respected and peer reviewed publication some time ago. It's not fact? It was written by a Doctor.

http://www.probe.org/site/c.fdKEIMNsEoG/b.4218203/k.D844/The_Grand_Canyon_and_the_Age_of_the_Earth.htm