Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged]The exorcisms of Latoya Ammons

BloomyDave

Here's a follow up from the IndyStar

http://ux.indystar.c...ammons/4892553/

I lived in Indianapolis for several years and the place has ghost fever. Every other house there is "haunted".

I got to hear Father Lampert, the designated exorcist for the Indianapolis Diocese, speak about this matter once, as a guest at the church I attended. A very level headed, skeptical man who believes that possession is extremely rare and not what you see in the movies. What's being described here is very "fantastic" to say the least. I've never heard of Maginot, but I hope he's prone to the same level of skepticism.

The only "unexplainable" thing I can see here...

...is the claim that the child walked up the wall and did a flip. Youtube is full of kids performing this feat all the time.

But not if walking "backwards" up the wall. That's seriously creepy.

Edited by pallidin

But not walking "backwards" on the wall.

Intake report:

Page 3 "Child became aggressive and walked up the wall as if he was walking on the floor and did a flip over the grandmother..."

Page 4 "..and he walked up the wall backward while holding the grandmother's hand and he never let go. He flipped over on his feet in front of the grandmother and sat down in a chair."

Impressive. Wish there was video. I have to say this sounds like an emotionally charged situation. Could impressive acrobatics be misinterpretted in a heightened emotional state? I have to believe these social workers were more than a little freaked and the "wording" may not have been 100% reported.

I can't say what they experienced. I wasn't there. But I am having a hard time with this one. *shrug*

• Like 2

Intake report:

Page 3 "Child became aggressive and walked up the wall as if he was walking on the floor and did a flip over the grandmother..."

Page 4 "..and he walked up the wall backward while holding the grandmother's hand and he never let go. He flipped over on his feet in front of the grandmother and sat down in a chair."

Impressive. Wish there was video. I have to say this sounds like an emotionally charged situation. Could impressive acrobatics be misinterpretted in a heightened emotional state? I have to believe these social workers were more than a little freaked and the "wording" may not have been 100% reported.

I can't say what they experienced. I wasn't there. But I am having a hard time with this one. *shrug*

Yeah, this is surely one for the "books" of the unexplained. Assuming all of this is true, of course.

And don't call me Shirley...

Edited by pallidin

From the Daily Mail report; "Father Maginot admitted he only became involved by chance. He happened to be covering for the usual chaplain of Gary ER on the weekend when a medic called in some distress to report a bizarre occurrence."

Well, that's a coincidence. The only one authorized to do an exorcism, the Diocesan exorcist, just happened to replacing the hospital chaplain on that shift.

• Like 1

The priest reported the child alleged to be possessed did not respond when he [the priest] prayed in latin as part of the exorcism ritual, but responded when he addressed the child directly with names of demons.

This, to me, is a red flag that the child was not possessed but was acting to known/recognised word triggers.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 3

I'm starting to feel a bit bummed about this... I really hope it's a true possession case and not just a hoax. I know that sounds cruel to wish that kind of ill on anyone, but if all of this is just a hoax.. Yack.

And I do really mean the term possession. Be it demons invading humans, or clinical medical problems.. This is an interesting case of modern possession. I'm rather inclined to Leonardos notion of Munchausen's Syndrome. It does make a lot of sense based off the information so far.

A tidbit.. I looked up the doctors name, and he really does exist, right where he is supposed to be and practicing family medicine.

Edit: And if this is a hoax.. Holy crap. I would consider this Amityville House level hoax.

Edited by rashore
  • Like 2

Wow...so the girl that was levitating unconscious was the same girl that screamed, which brought the grandma into the room? wtf...

The priest reported the child alleged to be possessed did not respond when he [the priest] prayed in latin as part of the exorcism ritual, but responded when he addressed the child directly with names of demons.

This, to me, is a red flag that the child was not possessed but was acting to known/recognised word triggers.

bingo!

Seems odd the only people interviewed are the people who lived at the house and priests, who would all benefit from this being seen as true.

Well, this sort of thing doesn't happen every day and you would expect the priest, who deals in matters of faith, to make some sort of statement as well as the family member to whom the event happened; she might also might want to talk about it. The police, social workers, nurses and others might be reluctant in the same way a pilot might not want to report a UFO, because people might call them nuts, or it might limit their careers, etc. It would be interesting in the extreme to get statements from all of them separately and compare what it was they witnessed. Perhaps too they are afraid to talk about it because they are dealing with spiritual evil and fear some sort of reprisal. If this is corroborated it would be one of the most bizarre events of this type in modern times.

Nowadays you can be sure that it isn't some PR stunt for a Hollywood movie like the "devil baby" that appeared in New York.

Edited by Sundew
  • Like 1

Outstanding. I was searching for this but my feeble mind didn't make the connection. Plus I have no background in pyche. But yes, that bothered me too!

Well, this sort of thing doesn't happen every day and you would expect the priest, who deals in matters of faith, to make some sort of statement as well as the family member to whom the event happened...

I would expect the priest to respect the privacy of the person involved as is always required in these cases, and not rush off to do TV interviews. That's not the way the RC Church rolls, not even in Italy where exorcisms have become routine now for some strange reason.

Edit: snip

Edited by Calibeliever

Perhaps an appropriate tune at this time...

I don't think I know of any children that could react to what you call "known/recognized word triggers" where it concerns the names of demons. Many adults aren't even familiar with names of demons themselves, and you're expecting the children to know? I gotta disagree with your statement here.

• Like 2

I would expect the priest to respect the privacy of the person involved as is always required in these cases, and not rush off to do TV interviews. That's not the way the RC Church rolls, not even in Italy where exorcisms have become routine now for some strange reason.

If the priest didn't show up on FOX, no worries, because they had a pool of other witnesses to pull from and put on the air. The priest was perhaps one of the most reliable and credible of the lot considering the story was headlined with the term exorcisms.

Redhen is correct. It is not at all common for an RC exorcism to be publicy revealed. Those issues are usually sealed.

Why it was partially opened in this case, I don't know.

Edited by pallidin

Redhen is correct. It is not at all common for an RC exorcism to be publicy revealed. Those issues are usually sealed.

Why it was partially opened in this case, I don't know.

Isn't that just speculation that there is a secret cabinet filled with documents on people being possessed and then being cured of this? It's like saying "Microsoft has alien technology".

• Like 2

Isn't that just speculation that there is a secret cabinet filled with documents on people being possessed and then being cured of this? It's like saying "Microsoft has alien technology".

I'm just explaining the normality of the RC church regarding such matters.

I'm just explaining the normality of the RC church regarding such matters.

Can you direct me to legitimate documents that refer about these secret files?

Edited by Brian Topp
  • Like 2

Can you direct me to legitimate documents that refer about these secret files?

I am not a "devout" Catholic, thus I do not have a high standing.

But, I WILL help you...

Those "secret files" are NOT available for public viewing, thus it is not possible for me to direct you to "legitimate documents"

However, if you do an internet search on the actual website of the Catholic religion, and do a search(on their website) on "exorcism", much public info is available there, perhaps enough to answer your question. I do not have that link off-hand, sorry.

I am not a "devout" Catholic, thus I do not have a high standing.

But, I WILL help you...

Those "secret files" are NOT available for public viewing, thus it is not possible for me to direct you to "legitimate documents"

However, if you do an internet search on the actual website of the Catholic religion, and do a search(on their website) on "exorcism", much public info is available there, perhaps enough to answer your question. I do not have that link off-hand, sorry.

So it's speculation and rumor since there is no official body of the church that said there is or and valid information regarding if there is such a thing.

Like I said, it goes in the same category as "Microsoft has alien technology" or "The US Government has a Zombie invasion defense plan" or "Every store has more of the product in the backrooms that every one wants for Christmas".

• Like 1

So it's speculation and rumor since there is no official body of the church that said there is or and valid information regarding if there is such a thing.

Brian, there very much IS an official body and that information. But you must do the work, not me.

• Like 1

Brian, there very much IS an official body and that information. But you must do the work, not me.

why should I do work on your claims? it only shows you can't back up your claims.
  • Like 3

why should I do work on your claims? it only shows you can't back up your claims.

You don't have to do work on "my claims"

But you do have to do you own work to satisfy your questions.

• Like 1

Back to the subject at hand... the Indiana incident.

Edited by pallidin