Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] How do YOU cheer yourself up when sad

spartan max2

So my question is what do you personally do when your really sad to cheer yourself up?

Im kind of down in the dumps today =(

• Like 1

Figure out why I'm sad, and fix it. If I can't come up with a valid reason, I start working on a project or just generally keep busy. An hour or two later, I completely forget what made me sad and I'm good to go...

Having a "purpose" does wonders for your mental health :tu: boosts confidence, occupies your thoughts, etc

• Like 2

Does depend on why you are sad.

If its a boy/girl friend, switch off your phone and do not go onto facebook to discuss it, put on a good dvd, pref a comedy and NOT your favorite love story.

Do not turn to the bottle either.

• Like 1

Smoke legal marajuana. Just kidding, I listen to really loud music. :yes::clap::tu:

I forgot about...listening to loud music.

• Like 1

I'm sad a LOT. I stick a few of my favourite songs on and have a sing along (The neighbours sometimes object) Or I watch something that makes me laugh. I have a weird sense of humour so say people that know me so inevitably I end up watching alone. Or I make a fuss of my kitties.

Edited by SheWomanCatTypeThing
  • Like 3

Figure out why I'm sad, and fix it. If I can't come up with a valid reason, I start working on a project or just generally keep busy. An hour or two later, I completely forget what made me sad and I'm good to go...

Having a "purpose" does wonders for your mental health :tu: boosts confidence, occupies your thoughts, etc

Thanks, your advice seems the most legit , no offense to everyone else lol. I just give the award to Grey.

But seriously thanks everyone

• Like 1

I'm sad a LOT. I stick a few of my favourite songs on and have a sing along (The neighbours sometimes object) Or I watch something that makes me laugh. I have a weird sense of humour so say people that know me so inevitably I end up watching alone. Or I make a fuss of my kitties.

Im curious what would be an example of you weird sense of humor lol? like if you can think of a video or clip off the top of your head

I have severe depression and am trying to resist medication to control it, but what I've found works best for me is:

1. A healthy diet, with lots of naturally present vitamins and minerals (like in fruits, veg, and organic/unprocessed foods).

2. Ample amounts of quality exercise, especially cardio and muscle toning activities which release endorphins.

3. Having pets, which are far less judgmental and more empathetic than human friends.

Those are my top three, but watching some TV or music listening to which I associate with a calm state of mind also helps, but that'll vary from person to person. For me it's watching a comedy panel like QI, or paranormal shows like Animal X or Paranormal Witness. I like to listen to power or speed metal, or movie soundtracks. That's just me. It takes my mind off of things and makes me laugh, and think,

A thought provoking activity also helps. Learning a new skill, or developing an old one. Something hands on works best, because you have to focus. Reading or even watching something can make it easy for your mind to wander back to why it's upset, so having something which engages your body will help take your mind away. I like to make things, so if I feel really uneasy I will try to find something that puts my hands to work.

Edited by Stormcrow
  • Like 2

Im curious what would be an example of you weird sense of humor lol? like if you can think of a video or clip off the top of your head

Well, It can't be that weird or the things I watch wouldn't be made! Just weird for the people I know I suppose. I can't think of anything now!

I do love salad fingers though!

Edited by SheWomanCatTypeThing
  • Like 1

I have severe depression and am trying to resist medication to control it, but what I've found works best for me is:

1. A healthy diet, with lots of naturally present vitamins and minerals (like in fruits, veg, and organic/unprocessed foods).

2. Ample amounts of quality exercise, especially cardio and muscle toning activities which release endorphins.

3. Having pets, which are far less judgmental and more empathetic than human friends.

Those are my top three, but watching some TV or music listening to which I associate with a calm state of mind also helps, but that'll vary from person to person. For me it's watching a comedy panel like QI, or paranormal shows like Animal X or Paranormal Witness. I like to listen to power or speed metal, or movie soundtracks. That's just me. It takes my mind off of things and makes me laugh, and think,

A thought provoking activity also helps. Learning a new skill, or developing an old one. Something hands on works best, because you have to focus. Reading or even watching something can make it easy for your mind to wander back to why it's upset, so having something which engages your body will help take your mind away. I like to make things, so if I feel really uneasy I will try to find something that puts my hands to work.

I wish I had the energy to do anything when I'm "on one".

I can't even read when I get that bad. Good on you.

• Like 1

1 -Go for a walk! Exercise might not change your mood completely, but it may give you a sense of feeling in control again.

2 - Cut back on sugar. If you need help with carb cravings, then buy some Organic Coconut Oil and mix a tablespoon or two into a cup of sugar-free hot Cocoa. The carb cravings should end as soon as those ketones hit your brain cells.

3 - If you're just feeling sluggish, mix 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar into a cup of cold water and guzzle it down. The change in alkaline level will give you enough of a boost to help you walk away from your computer. :yes:

• Like 1

My guilty pleasure when I'm down in the dumps is cat videos on youtube. My daughter got me hooked on them. Real manly I am. :tu:

• Like 3

I just open U.M. and have a giggle at some of the posts and replies.

• Like 2

Dude, honestly, used to have random bouts of depression. Eventually I stopped feeling sorry for myself and started to look at these "low points" throughout my day as objectively as possible.

Did I not like my job? No, that wasn't it.

Did I not like my wife? 'Course not, she's awesome!

What I realized after a time, was my depression happened, 9 times out of 10, from boredom. As silly as that sounds, I was just...bored with life. That boredom turned to depression because of a massive store of excess energy I was harboring but not expending towards anything. I started focusing on small projects and making it a point to walk my dogs hard. By the end of that week, the crushing, consuming depression had vanished and I felt like life had some substance again. Now obviously everyone is different, and there are many factors involved, but remember: studies show undeniably that simply having a feeling of purpose will extend your life.

Take from that what you will, and good luck - we're rooting for ya :yes:

• Like 3

Dude, honestly, used to have random bouts of depression. Eventually I stopped feeling sorry for myself and started to look at these "low points" throughout my day as objectively as possible.

Did I not like my job? No, that wasn't it.

Did I not like my wife? 'Course not, she's awesome!

What I realized after a time, was my depression happened, 9 times out of 10, from boredom. As silly as that sounds, I was just...bored with life. That boredom turned to depression because of a massive store of excess energy I was harboring but not expending towards anything. I started focusing on small projects and making it a point to walk my dogs hard. By the end of that week, the crushing, consuming depression had vanished and I felt like life had some substance again. Now obviously everyone is different, and there are many factors involved, but remember: studies show undeniably that simply having a feeling of purpose will extend your life.

Take from that what you will, and good luck - we're rooting for ya :yes:

True in your case and glad you got it sorted. Sometimes there's no obvious cause of depression though.

True in your case and glad you got it sorted. Sometimes there's no obvious cause of depression though.

True. Sometimes it's a literal chemical imbalance that only the right drugs can correct. There's no denying the physical variable.

It's interesting, though, as I watched my teenage sister go through a crippling depression. My old man took her to the doctor and long story short, she took a cocktail of pills to try and correct her depression. She became a complete zombie...wandering around the house silently with empty eyes. It was very sad to see someone I had such a good relationship with turn into a shell of her former self.

A year later, she grew up a little bit, started focusing on a career path and magically the depression vanished. She was just another teen with no direction feeling sorry for herself. At least we can laugh about it now...

• Like 1

True. Sometimes it's a literal chemical imbalance that only the right drugs can correct. There's no denying the physical variable.

It's interesting, though, as I watched my teenage sister go through a crippling depression. My old man took her to the doctor and long story short, she took a cocktail of pills to try and correct her depression. She became a complete zombie...wandering around the house silently with empty eyes. It was very sad to see someone I had such a good relationship with turn into a shell of her former self.

A year later, she grew up a little bit, started focusing on a career path and magically the depression vanished. She was just another teen with no direction feeling sorry for herself. At least we can laugh about it now...

Maybe I just need to grow up then, Eh?

Maybe I just need to grow up then, Eh?

That's not what I'm saying at all. Don't make this a personal attack lol just sharing experiences and discussing depression.

I put on headphones and listen to one of the Moody Blues albums... such as "A Question of Balance" or "On the Threashold of a Dream"...

and think about my ex's jail time... that always perks me up....

• Like 2

When I'm feeling blue I work out in my garden. The fresh air, being close to mother earth, grubbing in the dirt, listening to the birds singing, nurturing the plants, all under the blue sky and hopefully sunshine, all serves to bring me back into balance.

• Like 3