Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Whales 1, Poachers 0

Yamato

The Sea Shepherd Fleet has once again located the factory vessel of the Japanese whaling fleet, the Nisshin Maru, effectively suspending whale poaching operations in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary. The ship was located at 2050 AEDT on the 24th of January at 70°27’ S 150°03’ W by the Sea Shepherd ship The Bob Barker, says the environmental organization.

Once again, Sea Shepherd has all vessels in the Japanese whaling fleet accounted for...

http://www.maritime-executive.com/article/Sea-Shepherd-Boxes-in-Whaling-Fleet-2014-01-24/

• Like 4

Good thing, amazing we have whales left. Those Greenpeace guys are crazy, get their little boat between the harpoon ship and the whale to try and stop the hunt!

"The Whale’s Navy is Relentless!” They have to be to stop Japan, that area ban's been in place since 1994.

J whalers will be back, someday.

• Like 2

Good job Bob Barker, lol. It's amazing what you can find online, here's an interesting piece of news. Even though the Nisshin Maru is the last whaling factory ship on the planet, it "has been awarded a halal certificate to prove the whales it takes from the Antarctic Ocean are slaughtered in accordance with Muslim law"

Obviously to keep up with growing demand for traditional Middle Eastern whale meat.

Wth?

• Like 1

Good job Bob Barker, lol. It's amazing what you can find online, here's an interesting piece of news. Even though the Nisshin Maru is the last whaling factory ship on the planet, it "has been awarded a halal certificate to prove the whales it takes from the Antarctic Ocean are slaughtered in accordance with Muslim law"

Obviously to keep up with growing demand for traditional Middle Eastern whale meat.

Wth?

Rubbing noses together for legitimacy wherever they can in a world that frowns upon whaling more and more.

So the Muslims in Japan can eat it now...that's not going to be the critical mass they need in a dying market. What percentage of Japan is Muslim? It's 0-1% I would presume, so they're going to have to do much better than that to keep the demand up for their ancient tradition they're too proud and nationalistic to stop losing money over.

Hang on ... that means they vivisect them then doesn't it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhabihah

Theoretically, yes. "This method of slaughtering animals consists of a swift, deep incision with a sharp knife on the throat, cutting the jugular veins and carotid arteries of both sides but leaving the spinal cord intact."

Yeah, that should be no problem with a whale. /rollseyes

Also, "The slaughter itself must be done by a sane (mentally competent) adult Muslim, Jew, or Christian as they are considered "People of the Book" (Arabic: Ahl al-Kitāb‎)"

So if the harpooner shouts "For Odin!" while firing, it can never be considered Halal.

Captain of The Bob Barker, Peter Hammarstedt, said, “The Nisshin Maru has resigned itself as unable to outrun the determination of the Sea Shepherd Fleet. We will shadow them wherever they try to run and if they attempt to kill any more whales in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary, the Sea Shepherd ships are in position to stand fast.”

http://www.seashepherd.org.au/news-and-media/2014/01/25/japanese-whalers-running-out-of-steam-1562

• Like 1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhabihah

Theoretically, yes. "This method of slaughtering animals consists of a swift, deep incision with a sharp knife on the throat, cutting the jugular veins and carotid arteries of both sides but leaving the spinal cord intact."

Yeah, that should be no problem with a whale. /rollseyes

Also, "The slaughter itself must be done by a sane (mentally competent) adult Muslim, Jew, or Christian as they are considered "People of the Book" (Arabic: Ahl al-Kitāb‎)"

So if the harpooner shouts "For Odin!" while firing, it can never be considered Halal.

So in every detail you've shown, it's actually not Halal. But in the grand scheme of things, so what, and who cares? Right now the Japanese fleet is getting their butt handed to them by volunteers from civil society who pick up where governments leave off.

I think we can stop injecting religion and politics into every subject when every subject needs the opposite.

Captain of The Bob Barker, Peter Hammarstedt, said, “The Nisshin Maru has resigned itself as unable to outrun the determination of the Sea Shepherd Fleet. We will shadow them wherever they try to run and if they attempt to kill any more whales in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary, the Sea Shepherd ships are in position to stand fast.”

http://www.seashephe...t-of-steam-1562

Capt Pete should've added,....'to eternity!". <_< ...........How long are they prepared to stand fast? :unsure2:

I think we can stop injecting religion and politics into every subject when every subject needs the opposite.

I think it has more to do with simple greed. I doubt there's very many Muslims in Japan, so I assume this halal whale meat is being frozen and flown to expensive restaurants in the Middle East.

• Like 1

Capt Pete should've added,....'to eternity!". <_< ...........How long are they prepared to stand fast? :unsure2:

As long as their fuel holds out, which is often the case in most poaching seasons.

I think it has more to do with simple greed. I doubt there's very many Muslims in Japan, so I assume this halal whale meat is being frozen and flown to expensive restaurants in the Middle East.

Agreed. They have to focus on what's not-wrong with it.

These state-sanctioned criminals don't understand what words like moratorium and sanctuary mean, so give them steel. They'll know what that means.

This is how to stop a monster

Agian I like the whales,,also how can these people hunt and kill them.somebody should sink every whale hunting ship in the world

Edited by coolguy