Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mexico's salamander-like axolotl disappeared

Still Waters

Mexico's salamander-like axolotl may have disappeared from its only known natural habitat in Mexico City's few remaining lakes.

It's disturbing news for an admittedly ugly creature, which has a slimy tail, plumage-like gills and mouth that curls into an odd smile.

http://www.telegraph...disappears.html

• Like 1

I thought these were actually found in some streams in the USA.. I could have sworn I saw a documentary once, where they came across these.

I just be wrong?

• Like 1

I was going to buy one for my aquarium, once upon a time.

Amphibians in general are very sensitive to quick environmental changes. Kinda disturbing since they were the first creatures to slither up onto dry land.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axolotl

As of 2010, wild axolotls were near extinction[5] due to urbanization in Mexico City and consequent water pollution. They are currently listed by CITES as an endangered species and by IUCN as critically endangered in the wild, with a decreasing population. Axolotls are used extensively in scientific research due to their ability to regenerate limbs.[6] Axolotls were also sold as food in Mexican markets and were a staple in the Aztec diet.

A four month long search in 2013 turned up no surviving individuals in the wild. Previous surveys in 1998, 2003 and 2008 had found 6000, 1000 and 100 axolotls per square kilometer in its Lake Xochimilco habitat, respectively.[7]