Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Short man syndrome really does exist

Still Waters

Short man syndrome really does exist, Oxford University academics have found, after a study showed feeling smaller makes people paranoid, distrustful and scared of others.

http://www.telegraph...sity-finds.html

There is prejudice against short people, and I think an assumption that they aren't intelligent. However I had the benefit of also being Asian, and that tended to overrule the prejudice in my case.

• Like 1

They needed to study this fact?

Edited by freetoroam

Look at Napoleon, and that's all the evidence you need.

Napoleon wasn't short for men of his day. As I understand it, the idea that he was a tiny little dude came from a misinterpretation of measurements that translated his height from about 5'6" to about 5'0".

I've found short men suffer a similar social fate as tall women.

I think the latter is a side effect of the former. I'm average height (5'10") and I never think about my height, with one exception. When I'm next to a 6'+ woman, I tend to wonder if it makes me look shorter.

I believe the height thing is a remnant of early man's fascination with the idea that gods and such mated with women and the resulting children were extra tall. Because of this, the shorter a man was, the less "special" they probably considered him. While it's absolutely silly to hold something against (or for) a person when the person had no control over the issue, there's lots of things like that and probably always will be.

Yes I have seen it many times.

This is a load of crap and I am sick of hearing it.

Next person to say this rubbish again LOOK OUT, I am going to reach up and punch you right in the kneecap.

• Like 4

Great Point

It does for sure.

A lot of the small guys I know go to the gym about 4-5 times a week, use sunbeds and and a lot of them are chronic pr*cks who love to act hard; all this is obvious compensation for their height, a cringe-worthy process of upping their masculinity (I'm not so sure about the sun beds :sm ) A lot of the guys who gave me lip in school were shorter than me bar one or two of them.

I often get started on by people for no reason other than walking past them and their friends. I originally thought I might have had an annoying face or something but my friend's brother who is 6' 4" told me it's my height (I'm 6' 2" and have an athletic build. ) and that he often gets smaller men offering to scrap him when he is out at a pub for the same reason.

Edited by Sean93
  • Like 1

Evidence of the power of propaganda echoing until this very day.

• Like 2

What's the upper limit of what is defined to be "short"?

• Like 1

What's the upper limit of what is defined to be "short"?

I think your build plays into it. If you work out, you're ok. (no-one dare call you short... lol)

By Western standards and by the standards of modern young Vietnamese, I am short. By the standards of Vietnam when I was growing up I was a little taller than average.

There is a bias against people who are short, and another not as bad against people who are extra tall. However, the worst of these biases is held against those who are fat.

• Like 1

It does for sure.

A lot of the small guys I know go to the gym about 4-5 times a week, use sunbeds and and a lot of them are chronic pr*cks who love to act hard; all this is obvious compensation for their height, a cringe-worthy process of upping their masculinity (I'm not so sure about the sun beds :sm ) A lot of the guys who gave me lip in school were shorter than me bar one or two of them.

I often get started on by people for no reason other than walking past them and their friends. I originally thought I might have had an annoying face or something but my friend's brother who is 6' 4" told me it's my height (I'm 6' 2" and have an athletic build. ) and that he often gets smaller men offering to scrap him when he is out at a pub for the same reason.

noticed it a lot in boxing i dont want to make blanket statements i have friends who are shorter than me and they're chill guys but the others i have dealt with have a snappy attitude always wanting to make something out of nothing and just very testy people very hard to be around and interact with when all they think about is how much of a loser some other guy is and how they are a better and "bigger" man than the other. even worse when they have a couple drinks too.

Little man syndrome is as real as it rock...

Anything that makes you different from the crowd can have adverse effects on your attitude, including hair colour and skin colour. I wonder where or what the turning point in our psychological growth is where the negative change occurs because it does not happen to every short person.

noticed it a lot in boxing i dont want to make blanket statements i have friends who are shorter than me and they're chill guys but the others i have dealt with have a snappy attitude always wanting to make something out of nothing and just very testy people very hard to be around and interact with when all they think about is how much of a loser some other guy is and how they are a better and "bigger" man than the other. even worse when they have a couple drinks too.

I box myself, trained for a number of years just for self defense. A lot of the most aggressive boxers at the club are small dudes and some of them do indeed have a temper and can fight dirty outside the ring - one guy I know is tiny but jesus he's a dirty fighter. I saw him floor some guy and then put both hands in the guys mouth and then he tried to rip it both ways by pulling it.

I was walking past a bar the other night and saw this guy about my height talking with another guy who must have been no bigger than 5' 6" - The taller man was having a laugh with him and trying to get along but the little man was being sorta' aggressive and his stance suggested he wanted to fight. The smaller man was blocked (drunk) and would have been killed by the taller dude. I don;t know the outcome but there was definite aggression.

It didn't help that I was just a big innocent, immature nerdy type at school but also happened to be athletic and tall - I sense there was some jealousy involved from the stumps.

• Like 1

I box myself, trained for a number of years just for self defense. A lot of the most aggressive boxers at the club are small dudes and some of them do indeed have a temper and can fight dirty outside the ring - one guy I know is tiny but jesus he's a dirty fighter. I saw him floor some guy and then put both hands in the guys mouth and then he tried to rip it both ways by pulling it.

I was walking past a bar the other night and saw this guy about my height talking with another guy who must have been no bigger than 5' 6" - The taller man was having a laugh with him and trying to get along but the little man was being sorta' aggressive and his stance suggested he wanted to fight. The smaller man was blocked (drunk) and would have been killed by the taller dude. I don;t know the outcome but there was definite aggression.

It didn't help that I was just a big innocent, immature nerdy type at school but also happened to be athletic and tall - I sense there was some jealousy involved from the stumps.

i remember one time i was helping a buddy prep for a tournament he was going to local fights 3 fights and your "champ" i was going easy with my buddy going through basic stuff working his footwork and trying to push into his head to keep throwing punches even when he got tired to keep throwing it was time for me to switch out and we switched up with ill name him "jacob" now he was a tough s.o.b not a great boxer but could take shots and give em you know? so we threw him in there to keep the pace and keep fresh guys in the ring with my buddy all the while keeping in our head this guy is leaving in a week and not to cut him or bust him up bad but keep him on point keep his imind moving. first bell went fine second bell we told jacob to settle down and go easy it wasn't a real fight. 3rd bell hits 2 sets left and jacob hits him with this uppercut that split from the top of his nose and around the corner of his eye. now normally people back off like oh **** wtf did i do im sorry man got lost in the heat. nope coach was on the ring screaming for jacob to gtf back and boom boom boom i remember 3 clear punches all to the temples and my buddy went down i stormed the ring threw jacob down ******* chaos the whole time he was more concerned with how he looked and how well he put him down then our guy laying on the ground bleeding like a stuffed pig. words out of his mouth and ill never forget "this big ***** doesnt belong in that tourny it should be me i knocked him out and put him on his ass". i'll skip the absolute ass chewing he received but i thoroughly enjoyed making him run till he puked and cried like a baby. like i said earlier no blanket statements but the ones i've personally dealt with are just absolutely obnoxious and selfish we lost a man in the tourny due to the cut and our gym lost a possible sponsorship all because lil miss muffet wanted to be the big man