Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Idaho Lawmaker wants religious protections..

Odd Requiem

http://m.localnews8.com/news/lawmaker-wants-religious-protections-for-licensed-professionals/-/22687724/24158980/-/13u4rc7/-/index.html

Things like this make me ashamed to be an Idahoan. How will the world ever progress when we're still regressing.

• Like 1

i don't see it as bad, seeing how a baker was sued and lost becouse she refused to bake a cake for gay couple wedding, since it violated her religion.

it is direct responce to "gay rights"

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

religion cant control our lives, we need to be free

Most people believe they are free if it is NOT a politician who tells them what to think, what to do and how to live their life.

The last time I looked the bible doesn't say thou must discriminate. Some Christians wear those what would Jesus do bracelets but forget what he would actually do. Love people and if they are going to be judged so are you by your god. Not your job.

• Like 9

Anyone still has the freedom to discriminate - regardless whether the govt make it illegal to do so.

The freedom to do something is not at all related to the consequences for doing it.

• Like 3

The last time I looked the bible doesn't say thou must discriminate. Some Christians wear those what would Jesus do bracelets but forget what he would actually do. Love people and if they are going to be judged so are you by your god. Not your job.

Some people forget the whole, "he who is without sin throw the first stone" thing...

• Like 1

well religon is most certanly is controling lives of those that believe. there is nothing wrong with that, they are free to live their life the way they want and believe.

however issue becomes, when your religion or way of life, trys to control my religion and my way of life.

• Like 2

i don't see it as bad, seeing how a baker was sued and lost becouse she refused to bake a cake for gay couple wedding, since it violated her religion.

it is direct responce to "gay rights"

And if my religion determines that serving Blacks is a bad thing, I should be protected from that as well?

I can't really see any difference between the two prejudices.

• Like 5

'Please protect my hate speech from their hate speech,' is all I'm reading.

I know I am just going to open myself up to a whole boat load of bashing me for this but please if you have an honest thoughtful answer I would love to hear it

I am a conservative Christian. I believe Gods word I may not understand it but I am trying to. I hear everyday how we as a society have to accept gay and lesbian lifestyles. My question is why? how does being open to this lifestyle somehow make us better? better than what? our ancestors? the Greeks and Romans both accepted it to a certain extent where did that get them? now before you jump all over me for that I'm not saying homosexuality caused the fall of Rome I'm just saying it didn't help. So how does this lifestyle make us a stronger more advanced society? what is the benefit?

Really if you have a good answer let me hear it. If all your going to do is bash me for lack of understanding and backward thinking please try to convince me I am wrong and why.

• Like 1

I know I am just going to open myself up to a whole boat load of bashing me for this but please if you have an honest thoughtful answer I would love to hear it

I am a conservative Christian. I believe Gods word I may not understand it but I am trying to. I hear everyday how we as a society have to accept gay and lesbian lifestyles. My question is why? how does being open to this lifestyle somehow make us better? better than what? our ancestors? the Greeks and Romans both accepted it to a certain extent where did that get them? now before you jump all over me for that I'm not saying homosexuality caused the fall of Rome I'm just saying it didn't help. So how does this lifestyle make us a stronger more advanced society? what is the benefit?

Really if you have a good answer let me hear it. If all your going to do is bash me for lack of understanding and backward thinking please try to convince me I am wrong and why.

Though Leonardo and I rarely agree on much I have to say he nailed this one. We, as conservative Christians, still have a right to decide our behavior and what we will or will not accept. The difference today is that the culture is leaving us RAPIDLY behind - and I have no problem with it anymore because to me it's a surer sign of Christ's return. Trying to stop the degradation of morality in a culture - especially in this culture at this time - is like trying to hold back the ocean at high tide. Christ said if we followed him we'd be hated for his namesake. I'm okay with that. Sin has consequences - EVERY sin. We can seek his mercy or we can rail and shake a fist at him. Our choice. And if some in the culture demand that their sin be acceptable to others and that evolution in society causes us to be held in contempt for what we believe then so be it. We are not really harmed if we are standing for the right reasons. I hate no one - but that does NOT mean I have to fully agree with anything I have been taught to be wrong.
  • Like 1

You stated above that you're a conservative Christian but I think that perhaps what you're saying is more conservative than Christian.

As darkmoonlady and spartan max2 have already alluded to, "What do you think Jesus would do?" Would he condemn them or accept them?

• Like 2

You stated above that you're a conservative Christian but I think that perhaps what you're saying is more conservative than Christian.

As darkmoonlady and spartan max2 have already alluded to, "What do you think Jesus would do?" Would he condemn them or accept them?

I suspect Jesus would say something very similar to what he said to the woman caught in adultery - "go, and sin no more".
  • Like 2

I suspect Jesus would say something very similar to what he said to the woman caught in adultery - "go, and sin no more".

I think that you missed the part where he said, "Neither do I condemn thee..."

• Like 1

Can we please refrain from personal commentary on posters and their avatars, refer the below rules - further breaches will have consequences.

• 3d. Trolling: We have zero tolerance for trolling on the forums. We define 'trolling' as the act of posting intentionally false, controversial or offensive comments designed to start arguments or to provoke, bait or annoy other members.
  • 3e. Flamebaiting: Do not taunt or bait another member in to an argument.
  • 3f. Abusive behaviour: Do not be rude, insulting, offensive, snide, obnoxious or abusive towards other members.

• Like 1

Like it or not if you believe in God you have to believe gay people are creations of god.I don't see how peoples sexual orientation impacts on being a christian

• Like 2

Though Leonardo and I rarely agree on much I have to say he nailed this one. We, as conservative Christians, still have a right to decide our behavior and what we will or will not accept. The difference today is that the culture is leaving us RAPIDLY behind - and I have no problem with it anymore because to me it's a surer sign of Christ's return. Trying to stop the degradation of morality in a culture - especially in this culture at this time - is like trying to hold back the ocean at high tide. Christ said if we followed him we'd be hated for his namesake. I'm okay with that. Sin has consequences - EVERY sin. We can seek his mercy or we can rail and shake a fist at him. Our choice. And if some in the culture demand that their sin be acceptable to others and that evolution in society causes us to be held in contempt for what we believe then so be it. We are not really harmed if we are standing for the right reasons. I hate no one - but that does NOT mean I have to fully agree with anything I have been taught to be wrong.

You're right, you have every right to discriminate against people for arbitrary reasons, but don't kid yourself in thinking you're standing up for some higher form of morality: you're not.

Morality is the differentiation of intentions, decisions, and actions between those that are good (or right) and those that are bad (or wrong) behavior or character. Homosexuality is often misidentified as moral issue. But to things that cause no harm, moral condemnation simply isn't appropriate. Gay relationships involve no intrinsic harm ...anymore then mixed ones, but when classing harmless things as immoral results in persecution, we have reason to condemn the misclassification. Simply put, this misclassification is the real lack of morality in this culture.

Edited by Odin11
  • Like 1

If someone owns a business, I'm of the firm belief they should be able to refuse service to whomever they want. Let publicity backlashes be the judge of whether they made a bad choice or not.

• Like 4

You're right, you have every right to discriminate against people for arbitrary reasons, but don't kid yourself in thinking you're standing up for some higher form of morality: you're not.

Morality is the differentiation of intentions, decisions, and actions between those that are good (or right) and those that are bad (or wrong) behavior or character. Homosexuality is often misidentified as moral issue. But to things that cause no harm, moral condemnation simply isn't appropriate. Gay relationships involve no intrinsic harm ...anymore then mixed ones, but when classing harmless things as immoral results in persecution, we have reason to condemn the misclassification. Simply put, this misclassification is the real lack of morality in this culture.

I do believe that is where the problem is the more left/liberal side will say that it is not a moral issue. where as us on the conservative side see it as nothing but. then you have the problem of who defines "moral" behavior

I just see this as a very slippery slope. for centuries Gods word defined what was moral and immoral. Now we (society) get to decided what is moral? God help us.

my other question is since the percentage of homosexuals is so small (estimated 3.8% in US) why do we get this thrown in our face so often? is like every homosexual person a lobbist in DC.

• Like 1

You miss-characterize my statement and I believe you do so intentionally. To discern that a behavior is inappropriate according to one's faith is NOT the same as discriminating or causing an intentional harm to anyone - so long as that discernment does not include causing a harm intentionally through an act. I do not believe I, or any other Christian has a right OR a duty to DO anything against a person who engages in any sin - no matter which transgression that sin takes form of. But this does NOT mean we have no right to have our own beliefs and to live our own lives within them. IOW, I am not called upon to accept the behavior of others - I owe no human being this.
  • Like 1

I grow weary of people who feel others, who don't think like they do, are "wrong". As long as they don't interfere in other people's lives who are we to tell them how to think? Hell, a lot of vegetarians think we carnivores are cruel, heartless people and the earth would be utopia without us.

• Like 7

I just see this as a very slippery slope. for centuries Gods word defined what was moral and immoral.

Not god's word, but bronze age man's word.

• Like 3

I do believe that is where the problem is the more left/liberal side will say that it is not a moral issue. where as us on the conservative side see it as nothing but. then you have the problem of who defines "moral" behavior....

Morality (however you want to find that aside), is it illegal? If it is not, I can't see how it can be legislated against.