Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First woman in the UK to DIE from cannabis...

seeder

Devout Christian mother-of-three, 31, becomes first woman in Britain to DIE from cannabis poisoning after smoking a joint in bed

* Gemma Moss had moderate to high levels of the drug in her system

* It is believed mother-of-three suffered a heart attack triggered by the drug

* Usually, deaths associated with drug are a result of mixing it with alcohol

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2548669/Devout-Christian-mother-three-31-woman-Britain-DIE-cannabis-poisoning-smoking-joint-bed.html#ixzz2rtsgcZW7

Sad, but why mention she was a devout Christian?

• Like 2

Sad, but why mention she was a devout Christian?

Good question. Probably to develop sympathy...biased reporting.

[read article]

Ok so she smoked half a joint before bed and died of a heart attack. The biggest anti-pot advocate on the planet would have to agree there are other factors involved here. The article also mentions she was on anti-depressants and other medication, as well as alcohol possibly being involved. The stress alone of being unemployed and so on could very well have weakened her heart along with whatever possible damage may have existed before (she does sound like she liked to party.) Was the cannabis the cause of death? Short answer is "yes". Was it the direct cause of death? That's debatable, imho.

Edit to add-- I love the last comment on that page: "she looks really devout from her pictures." :tsu:

Edited by Dark_Grey
  • Like 3

So just say NO kids.. Unfortunately I didnt (when younger) I remember one time I locked the keys in my car when really stoned... took me over an hour to get out..

theres a reason its called dope

Edited by seeder
  • Like 5

Being a Christian and smoking pot is a deadly combination.

• Like 8

I think it's a crock of you know what. The only way it could happen is if it was laced with something she didn't know about (angel dust, lsd, who knows). The article also mentions she was on anti-depressants and other medication, as well as alcohol possibly being involved. It sounds to me like maybe the coroner was coerced to fudge his or her report to show pot negatively, because maybe the UK doesn't want legalization over there for some reason or other. They see legalization starting in the US and don't want it to happen there. That's just my opinion. Even if you smoke crappy pot, the worse that can happen is a sore throat and a lot of coughing.

• Like 1

It sounds to me like maybe the coroner was coerced to fudge his or her report to show pot negatively, because maybe the UK doesn't want legalization over there for some reason or other. They see legalization starting in the US and don't want it to happen there.

They paint her as a devout Christian (with pictures of her at the bar?) and then twist the doctor's words to print the answer they want. But guess what: the propaganda doesn't work anymore. People aren't buying this nonsense like they used to. You can't win - cannabis is here to stay.

Lucy Dawe, from the anti-cannabis group Cannabis Skunk Sense, said: 'People who are pro-cannabis will say it won't kill any body but unfortunately it does.

'It is very upsetting because we now have three young people with no mother and the mother probably thought she was doing something perfectly safe.

'Along with death, cannabis can also cause a lot of other problems like psychosis, chronic depression, strokes, and anxiety.

'These effects need to be something that are generally well-known. People think because cannabis is a plant it won't be dangerous but it leads people to a false sense of security.'

lol ok.

• Like 2

Some folks have died from drinking water... too much anyway

Strange but True: Drinking Too Much Water Can Kill

Earlier this year, a 28-year-old California woman died after competing in a radio station's on-air water-drinking contest. After downing some six liters of water in three hours in the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" (Nintendo game console) contest, Jennifer Strange vomited, went home with a splitting headache, and died from so-called water intoxication.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill/

I just think if your number is up, then thats it..

• Like 2

hmmmmm i thought the title was a joke as it would be impossible to die from marijuana, you do get an increased heart rate but an increased heart rate may only be a problem for some one with a dodgy ticker. it would take like 200 grams smoked in one puff to kill you, costs ten pound a gram, i doubt shes rich enough to make a joint that would be that big.

Edited by Ever Learning

Isn't this just one of those 'what's okay for some isn't okay for others' story? I mean, you have some people who smoke cigarettes like they're a chimney and don't die till they're ninety, then you have others who smoke for a few years and end up with cancer. PEOPLE HAVE VARYING RISK FACTORS?! :o

CORRELATION DOES NOT IMPLY CAUSATION

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 5

I am sceptical of the findings. A post-mortem examination is not necessarily a full autopsy, which I consider would be necessary to make this claim with any degree of certainty.

I'm not suggesting a full autopsy be performed, only that the fact she smoked half a joint became a convenient scapegoat.

• Like 4

Some folks have died from drinking water... too much anyway

Strange but True: Drinking Too Much Water Can Kill

Earlier this year, a 28-year-old California woman died after competing in a radio station's on-air water-drinking contest. After downing some six liters of water in three hours in the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" (Nintendo game console) contest, Jennifer Strange vomited, went home with a splitting headache, and died from so-called water intoxication.

http://www.scientifi...water-can-kill/

I just think if your number is up, then thats it..

Same thing happened to Leah Betts...but it was easier to say Ecstacy killed her (because it was the E that made her thirsty, and lack of knowledge made her keep drinking large amounts in a very short period of time). Not advocating E's, just saying the media never tell the truth and arm people with the right info when it comes to drugs.

• Like 3

Same thing happened to Leah Betts...but it was easier to say Ecstacy killed her (because it was the E that made her thirsty, and lack of knowledge made her keep drinking large amounts in a very short period of time). Not advocating E's, just saying the media never tell the truth and arm people with the right info when it comes to drugs.

Exactly right. :tu:

Then the Essex Boys were shot! For those that know..

• Like 2

I fail to see the big scandal, in Scotland alone 20 people die a week from alcohol... so after 40 years of Hippies using dope one dies?

Good one.

• Like 5

Then the Essex Boys were shot! For those that know..

You know the irony of that, those Apples that they brought into the country were the safest and cleanest MDMA in the country since probably about 1992 (when the criminal syndicates took over the scene - which coincided with people needing to triple and quadruple drop just to get a small effect....such was the amount of crap they were mixed with).....if only someone with her had had just a little bit of experience or knowledge and that girl would have still been here now :(

As for the Essex boys though.....good riddance, a waste of space all 3 of them..

• Like 1

This is a perfect example of how people confuse correlation with causation. "She smoked a joint and then had a heart attack, it must have been the joint that caused it! Right?" Wrong! A heart attack never has a single 'cause' it is a complex thing that has many compounding factors.

• Like 2

Alcohol and anti-depressants? Me thinks it wasn't the pot that killed her but combination of the alcohol and anti depressants suppressing her autonomic breathing mechanism.

Art

• Like 3

By the way, everyone dies of a heart attack. Everyone's heart stops when they die. My mom died of stomach cancer but on her death certificate it said she died of a heart attack. She had acute adenocarcinoma of the lower duodenum and large intestine with metastasis to the liver and heart.

• Like 2

Alcohol and anti-depressants? Me thinks it wasn't the pot that killed her but combination of the alcohol and anti depressants suppressing her autonomic breathing mechanism.

Exactly, I think this is far more likely to have been the cause of death.

To me I could care less if the media or govt. is anti-pot, what really irks me is that they present false information on the topic. If drugs are so bad, then why do you need to exaggerate and lie about them? If they lie and exaggerate with regards to drugs, then how can we trust them to honestly report on anything else?

You know the irony of that, those Apples that they brought into the country were the safest and cleanest MDMA in the country since probably about 1992 (when the criminal syndicates took over the scene - which coincided with people needing to triple and quadruple drop just to get a small effect....such was the amount of crap they were mixed with).....if only someone with her had had just a little bit of experience or knowledge and that girl would have still been here now :(

As for the Essex boys though.....good riddance, a waste of space all 3 of them..

:tu: Did you watch the movies? 'Rise of the Footsoldier', and of course, 'The Essex Boys'?

hmmmmm i thought the title was a joke as it would be impossible to die from marijuana, you do get an increased heart rate but an increased heart rate may only be a problem for some one with a dodgy ticker. it would take like 200 grams smoked in one puff to kill you, costs ten pound a gram, i doubt shes rich enough to make a joint that would be that big.

You are actually stupid arent you.... like you actually know the amount of Cannabis to take before it becomes toxic :no: Looking for a facepalm emoticon... but cant find one.

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 1

Yep, sure did....'rise...' was probably the more realistic, I remember being at events in the early days like Spectrum and Energy, with Carlton Leach and friends running the doors....this was when Andrew Pritchard was running all the illegal events, and it got to big for him to handle hence getting more people involved (the wrong people)...

Another aspect the film got right was Thatchers violent britain of the 80's disappeared as the men became mice....there was a 2yr window where everything was great, then it grew to big and it was all about money then...the rest is written in the tabloids of the day...

There was a little club near me at the time called the hilltop, Pat Tate came wandering in there one night throwing his weight around....I can't relay the entire story on here but it was worth seeing as he left quicker then he arrived lol

Edit - that was a reply to Seeder, the quoted part disappeared for some reason.

Edited by Sky Scanner
  • Like 1