Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First woman in the UK to DIE from cannabis...

seeder

Nope, if people want to have a drink its up to them, but taking drugs is another ball game.I like a pint (or a schooner)now and then.

You are aware of the fact that both alcohol and nicotine are addiction forming drugs? Guess not, else you would not have claimed the above.

the misconceptions people who have never partaken of marajuana have about marajuana are amazingly naive.

And I apologize if this offends the site mods because I realize it's still ilegal most places. But not where I live.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4

Cannabis, Ganja, Pot, Grass whatever you want to call it, is not good for you, unless you want a scrambled egg brain later in life.I've had experience in dealing with all kinds of drug users in the past, and I didn't like seeing the effects it had on people,and I had the pleasure of burning 32 tons of the stuff when I was at work.

Thank god a post of reason and common sense. - keep up the good work in the struggle against drugs.

Whenever a thread/topic about drugs specifically about cannabis appears on these forums it always astonishes me the amount of UM members who are by definition drug addicts, openly admit drug use on a public forum. but worse still try to give the impression its only a bit of Cannabis, Ganja, Pot, Grass etc.. and will try to counter any anti drug stance with what they call facts or falsehoods but always for some reason compare it to Alcohol, who are they trying to convince, themselves?

Thank god a post of reason and common sense. - keep up the good work in the struggle against drugs.

Whenever a thread/topic about drugs specifically about cannabis appears on these forums it always astonishes me the amount of UM members who are by definition drug addicts, openly admit drug use on a public forum. but worse still try to give the impression its only a bit of Cannabis, Ganja, Pot, Grass etc.. and will try to counter any anti drug stance with what they call facts or falsehoods but always for some reason compare it to Alcohol, who are they trying to convince, themselves?

There is a difference between use and abuse. Just because you see the extremes of one side you can't draw a conclusion from that.

You need to do some proper research. Both of you and spud. Before claiming something like that.

• Like 1

If you drink (alcohol much worse for you in every way than marajuana) then you're just an ignorant hypocrite.
  • Like 2

...you sound exactly like someone who's never tried it.

...you sound exactly like someone who's never tried it.

Not quite, I never did (but given the amount smoked all around me I inhaled a lot in my youth) and I don't sound like that.

If you drink (alcohol much worse for you in every way than marajuana) then you're just an ignorant hypocrite.

no mate, i dont drink, i haven't had a drink since 2001, and even then i never drank to get drunk. im strange in the way i've never felt compelled to conform to peer pressure, reason i stopped drinking is simply because i didnt like the taste, i couldnt see the point in drinking pint after pint when not even thirsty. and questioned when did having a good time, become having a drink with the aim of getting drunk? like there is no alternative to having a good time once you become an adult. plus going out 'on the town' fills me we dread, its the seeing of respectable people throwing themselves into a pit of carnal abandon, taking drugs. taking relieve of their senses etc...

i've always enjoyed life to much to turn to drugs or drink. its my belief that people who are not enjoying life, seek out substances to let them 'escape' its maybe why we see such high use in deprived areas of society. most will not agree with my opinion, but is that because it makes people question themselves and one thing people hate is questioning themselves.

I've surrounded myself with like minded friends as well all do, we go out, but its only the odd family or friend occasion wedding, birthday party, works Christmas party etc... most of the time we get together straight from work and go for a game of five aside football, go-kart racing, canoing, abseiling or challenges such as tough mudder. its all about lifestyle choice, i choose to live a 100% drug free, Alcohol free lifestyle.

http://toughmudder.co.uk/?gclid=CPK7k_u_sLwCFYWWtAodNmsA0A

the only reason i comment of drug use is, i understand we will always have people who use drugs, and choose the drink or drugs lifestyle choice, and fine these are usually the expendables of society. its the professionals in society we can ill afford taking the same path, such as your police, firefighters, doctors, surgeons, school teachers - people in safety critical jobs, railway maintenance workers, air traffic controllers - as examples. etc..... the problem i have, well its not a problem, but its when people try to give the impression all can be dope smokers with no ill effects on the wider society its not a case of being naive or hypocrite.

i've always enjoyed life to much to turn to drugs or drink. its my belief that people who are not enjoying life, seek out substances to let them 'escape' its maybe why we see such high use in deprived areas of society. most will not agree with my opinion, but is that because it makes people question themselves and one thing people hate is questioning themselves.

[...]

the only reason i comment of drug use is, i understand we will always have people who use drugs, and choose the drink or drugs lifestyle choice, and fine these are usually the expendables of society.

That is one of the most self-righteous, condescending posts I've ever read on this forum. I don't understand how you can come on here and blatantly label people who use substances as degenerates. Of course people use recreational drugs to "escape" - so is your "football, go-kart racing, canoing, abseiling or challenges".

most will not agree with my opinion, but is that because it makes people question themselves and one thing people hate is questioning themselves.

No, I don't agree with your opinion because it's simply not true. Using blanket statements about any group of people is generally not a wise thing to do. The most surprising thing I've learned about pot, by far, is how many people use it. People from ALL walks of life: I've met lawyers, doctors, mechanics, city workers, rich people...and guess what? You'd never know. They lead successful careers without any issues.

Dude, honestly, maybe you are too far removed from this. Maybe you just lack real life exposure - most of your ideas are antiquated, stale, or otherwise just untrue.

• Like 2

"Her death was caused by cannabis toxicity, and a coroner recorded a verdict of death by cannabis abuse."

I'd like to meet that coroner to find out just how flakey he/she is in person.

• Like 2

That is one of the most self-righteous, condescending posts I've ever read on this forum. I don't understand how you can come on here and blatantly label people who use substances as degenerates. Of course people use recreational drugs to "escape" - so is your "football, go-kart racing, canoing, abseiling or challenges".

No, I don't agree with your opinion because it's simply not true. Using blanket statements about any group of people is generally not a wise thing to do. The most surprising thing I've learned about pot, by far, is how many people use it. People from ALL walks of life: I've met lawyers, doctors, mechanics, city workers, rich people...and guess what? You'd never know. They lead successful careers without any issues.

Dude, honestly, maybe you are too far removed from this. Maybe you just lack real life exposure - most of your ideas are antiquated, stale, or otherwise just untrue.

Dude, lack real life experience because im not a dope smoker, because as you know, you haven't lived if you haven't experienced taking drugs, as a graduate from the university of life. i stand by my post, that in short implies you cannot have a society were the majority are dope smokers. im combating the notion portrayed on here by the dope smokers everyone in society can smoke dope with no effect on the wider society. thankfully my stance echoes that of most respected governments around the world. by the way your expendable. maybe not to your dealer though.

no mate, i dont drink, i haven't had a drink since 2001, and even then i never drank to get drunk. im strange in the way i've never felt compelled to conform to peer pressure, reason i stopped drinking is simply because i didnt like the taste, i couldnt see the point in drinking pint after pint when not even thirsty. and questioned when did having a good time, become having a drink with the aim of getting drunk? like there is no alternative to having a good time once you become an adult. plus going out 'on the town' fills me we dread, its the seeing of respectable people throwing themselves into a pit of carnal abandon, taking drugs. taking relieve of their senses etc...

I've surrounded myself with like minded friends as well all do, we go out, but its only the odd family or friend occasion wedding, birthday party, works Christmas party etc... most of the time we get together straight from work and go for a game of five aside football, go-kart racing, canoing, abseiling or challenges such as tough mudder. its all about lifestyle choice, i choose to live a 100% drug free, Alcohol free lifestyle.

http://toughmudder.c...CFYWWtAodNmsA0A

the only reason i comment of drug use is, i understand we will always have people who use drugs, and choose the drink or drugs lifestyle choice, and fine these are usually the expendables of society. its the professionals in society we can ill afford taking the same path, such as your police, firefighters, doctors, surgeons, school teachers - people in safety critical jobs, railway maintenance workers, air traffic controllers - as examples. etc..... the problem i have, well its not a problem, but its when people try to give the impression all can be dope smokers with no ill effects on the wider society its not a case of being naive or hypocrite.

Unlike dark grey, I'm not offended by your post and am in complete support of people not interested in chemically enhancing a good time as I am well aware that there are many among us who can be consumed by it. I thank God that my father quit drinking and drugs as it was destroying him and our family. That being said and putting this thread back on track, there is no case of death by THC toxicity on record that I could find through an internet search save this one. So she smoked half af a joint and died from THC toxicity despite all of the other drugs she was on? This is pure false propaganda almost as bad as the movie "Reefer Madness" made in 1937

• Like 2

Dude, lack real life experience because im not a dope smoker, because as you know, you haven't lived if you haven't experienced taking drugs, as a graduate from the university of life. i stand by my post, that in short implies you cannot have a society were the majority are dope smokers. im combating the notion portrayed on here by the dope smokers everyone in society can smoke dope with no effect on the wider society.

How do you know it doesn't work? Has there ever been a society where the majority are dope smokers? Your post is based on a lot of assumptions.

thankfully my stance echoes that of most respected governments around the world. by the way your expendable. maybe not to your dealer though.

Most "respected" governments are on the path to legalizing it because the overwhelming majority of people want it. The cat's out of the bag now - it's over. There's no going back.

• Like 1

http://toughmudder.co.uk/?gclid=CPK7k_u_sLwCFYWWtAodNmsA0A

There is a practical use to smoking as well. Enabling oneself a different perspective on a problem or issue has been considered extremely valuable to those who smoke. It has helped friends of mine even get to sleep (after discontinued use for that reason). There's a lot to benefit given you take it the right way.

I think you simply do not understand the use of such drugs and instead turn your focus on others who use those drugs who also don't understand the use. You're entitled to your choice but to label such people as expendables is just downright ignorant. Especially that a lot of excessive drug users suffer from mental illnesses.

Anyhow I encourage you to discontinue indulging in misinformation and properly read up about this.

Edited by Orcseeker
  • Like 2

Where I live (small village) unfortunately a lot of my neighbours are dependent on it. I think it is boredom, they are in their 20's. They criticize by partner and I when we have a bottle of wine or two at the weekend and make jibs at us when we throw out the empty bottles (about 2 or 3).

Observing them is quite funny, it has like the opposite effects to alcohol. When somebody has been drinking hard it can turn them aggressive and rowdy when the smokers are chilled out. However you can tell when they struggle to buy their smoke or it is not available as they get all aggressive and rowdy without it.

Some of them admit they smoke over £20 a day now, of course they don't see a problem with it. One of a couple has just lost a very good job because she was too 'chilled' to get up and go to work.

• Like 1

Nobody has ever died from it, ever, and now suddenly someone has.. Yah

I got a bridge for sale too. It's in Brooklyn, cheap. All serious offers will be considered

Edited by Simbi Laveau

Good question. Probably to develop sympathy...biased reporting.

[read article]

Ok so she smoked half a joint before bed and died of a heart attack. The biggest anti-pot advocate on the planet would have to agree there are other factors involved here. The article also mentions she was on anti-depressants and other medication, as well as alcohol possibly being involved. The stress alone of being unemployed and so on could very well have weakened her heart along with whatever possible damage may have existed before (she does sound like she liked to party.) Was the cannabis the cause of death? Short answer is "yes". Was it the direct cause of death? That's debatable, imho.

Edit to add-- I love the last comment on that page: "she looks really devout from her pictures." :tsu:

It would be for me... I am absolutely allergic to it....

Got to agree with you Steve (accept for the alcohol, that's just another evil in my eyes)

I smoke weed regularly myself, but it would be stupid of me to try and dress it up as something its not.

Smoking weed is bad for you, inhaling any smoke into your lungs is not good, who knows what crap is in the cannabis that is smoked. Let alone what is sprayed onto it to increase its visual appeal and weight, add to this that it is usually smoked with nicotine and using no filter. Its a 'no brainer' that smoking anything is not good for your mouth, throat and lungs.

Even if you do not smoke it you are still opening your brain to the effects of the drug. These are negative (long and short term) but vary wildly depending on the user. I have had friends who show instant paranoia when smoking and others that don't, some become talkative while others dumb down. There are links to schizophrenia, and I can more than vouch for its negative effects on memory. That's not even getting into its effects on motivation.

If you smoke weed a few times a year socially, good for you that is using the drug recreationally. If you smoke weed more than once a week or so (whether you want to admit it or not) you have a habit. That habit might not be as life destroying as so called 'harder' drugs but you are being naive to think you do not have a drug habit and that that habit has no negative effects on your life.

I am at a loss for why this drug is defended and promoted so much.

Edit to add: This comment is referencing the use of the drug to 'get high' rather than those using the drug for genuine medical reasons.

Edited by Junior Chubb

Got to agree with you Steve (accept for the alcohol, that's just another evil in my eyes)

I smoke weed regularly myself, but it would be stupid of me to try and dress it up as something its not.

Smoking weed is bad for you, inhaling any smoke into your lungs is not good, who knows what crap is in the cannabis that is smoked. Let alone what is sprayed onto it to increase its visual appeal and weight, add to this that it is usually smoked with nicotine and using no filter. Its a 'no brainer' that smoking anything is not good for your mouth, throat and lungs.

Even if you do not smoke it you are still opening your brain to the effects of the drug. These are negative (long and short term) but vary wildly depending on the user. I have had friends who show instant paranoia when smoking and others that don't, some become talkative while others dumb down. There are links to schizophrenia, and I can more than vouch for its negative effects on memory. That's not even getting into its effects on motivation.

If you smoke weed a few times a year socially, good for you that is using the drug recreationally. If you smoke weed more than once a week or so (whether you want to admit it or not) you have a habit. That habit might not be as life destroying as so called 'harder' drugs but you are being naive to think you do not have a drug habit and that that habit has no negative effects on your life.

I am at a loss for why this drug is defended and promoted so much.

Edit to add: This comment is referencing the use of the drug to 'get high' rather than those using the drug for genuine medical reasons.

Hmm well legalising it would then require at least some regulation so those adding chemicals to add weight to their marijuana that could potentially be harmful would therefore be in serious trouble as other people who do similar things in other industries find themselves in.

I know people who smoke marijuana almost everyday for decades and have a better lung capacity and dont cough like a smoker. Or really cough in general.

Yes. The active ingredient THC is a psychoactive chemical. Psychoactive chemicals will bring underlying mental issues to surface. In some cases good, others bad. Most people who become paranoid I've found are only do because of the stigma and fear attached to being seen intoxicated with an illegal substance.

It affects short term memory... But only in the short term. Your brain will return to normal a few days after excessive consumption.

The drug makes you feel good. That's how it affects motivation.

THC in marijuana has increased quite a bit due to cross and selective breeding. Although nothing substantial than it originally was. That being said, one must take into account that difference and respond in the appropriate levels of consumption.

Humans are typically habitual animals. Learning how to control ones habits if they start to become detrimental to ones being is our challenge. Becoming reliant is the problem. Needing that coffee in the morning. Needing that cigarette in the break. Needing that smoke to get to sleep. Of course those become negative habits.

I defend it because again, use and abuse. Or even to a degree, misuse. I know people who smoked a lot who cut it down to smaller amounts. Much like some shamans who consume marijuana in small doses and generally use miminal amounts in a week compared to some rebellious teenager smoking an ounce a week. They just havent learnt how to use it properly.

I'm not sure what scope falls under the "get high" part. There are a lot of practical applications that can be attributed to that state of consciousness.

Hmm well legalising it would then require at least some regulation so those adding chemicals to add weight to their marijuana that could potentially be harmful would therefore be in serious trouble as other people who do similar things in other industries find themselves in.

Agreed, legal Marijuana would be more likely to be free of weight adding and cosmetic additions.

I know people who smoke marijuana almost everyday for decades and have a better lung capacity and dont cough like a smoker. Or really cough in general.

Difficult point to argue really, its a bit like 'my grandma lived to 90 and smoked every day' or 'I say' vs 'you say'. I am sure you have acquaintances who match your statement but inhaling smoke into your lungs is not good for you, I remember as a youngster people telling me weed opened up your lungs and made it easier for you to breathe, I can tell you now 20 years later this is not the case for me. Also to add many people mix the weed with tobacco or in tobacco leaves for taste/dilution and there is no arguing the ill effects of smoking tobacco.

Yes. The active ingredient THC is a psychoactive chemical. Psychoactive chemicals will bring underlying mental issues to surface. In some cases good, others bad. Most people who become paranoid I've found are only do because of the stigma and fear attached to being seen intoxicated with an illegal substance.

Definitely, every drug can have positive and negative effects on your mental state. :)

Sorry OS but the point about paranoia is baloney. ;)

Granted being stoned in a place full of sober people can greatly enhance the paranoia but not cause it. Paranoia is a side effect of smoking weed, not everyone suffers to the same degree but weed is the cause, some even suffer continually when not under the influence.

It affects short term memory... But only in the short term. Your brain will return to normal a few days after excessive consumption.

I can't agree with this, and again its through experience. Short term memory will improve with discontinued use but not back to normal.

Then again I might be ignoring the general effects of ageing on short term memory.

The drug makes you feel good. That's how it affects motivation.

I wouldn't always say 'good' (as mentioned above) but it does give you a false sense of contentment, and if somebody is content the drive to change or improve is removed and IMO killing your motivation.

THC in marijuana has increased quite a bit due to cross and selective breeding. Although nothing substantial than it originally was. That being said, one must take into account that difference and respond in the appropriate levels of consumption.

I would say the increase is substantial. But with something like marijuana it can be more about your source. What I see nowadays is a lot more potent than what was available as a teenager, this could be down to a better source but it is far more likely that what is available now is a lot stronger than what was available in the 'rose tinted' days of the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Humans are typically habitual animals. Learning how to control ones habits if they start to become detrimental to ones being is our challenge. Becoming reliant is the problem. Needing that coffee in the morning. Needing that cigarette in the break. Needing that smoke to get to sleep. Of course those become negative habits.

Spot on ;) I just think that weed is more habit forming than people will readily admit too.

I defend it because again, use and abuse. Or even to a degree, misuse. I know people who smoked a lot who cut it down to smaller amounts. Much like some shamans who consume marijuana in small doses and generally use minimal amounts in a week compared to some rebellious teenager smoking an ounce a week. They just havent learnt how to use it properly.

Embarrassingly enough I could fall into this description. I have drastically reduced my consumption over recent years but I would prefer it if I could follow the example of others I know who have given it the boot completely. Forgetting any physical/mental health gains they have all seen positive improvements in their lives, but this is just my personal experience.

I'm not sure what scope falls under the "get high" part. There are a lot of practical applications that can be attributed to that state of consciousness.

I am all for the practical applications and the medical benefits that have/will arise from controlled research and use of marijuana, but there is little mention of that in this thread.

What gets me (and is also the reason for my agreement with Steve and my rambling post) is the blind 'weed is cool', 'its just a spliff', 'its not addictive' mentality that arises like a knee jerk reaction with the mention of weed. This is simply not the case. As an impressionable teenager I got suckered into all that crap and here I am many years later still wasting my money, putting of until tomorrow what can be done today and wheezing after a 90 minutes of football.

I am interested to know if you smoke yourself or used to smoke regularly?

I am pretty confident that people who used to smoke heavily and have now quit would share a similar viewpoint to myself, having been there and back.

Edited by Junior Chubb

I am pretty confident that people who used to smoke heavily and have now quit would share a similar viewpoint to myself, having been there and back.

I would say that opinion is divided on that issue too. I smoked pretty much every day from about the age of 14 up until I hit 30, I worked, always did what I wanted to do...(the occasional day when I couldn't be bothered, but nothing significant). I stopped simply because I lost interest, my health is fine, I don't cough at all etc. For me the appeal was just that quiet space you found in your mind even when all around you was going at 100mph....it made me appreciate moments more because I was more aware of them. I've found that same quiet space through hobbies and other interests now.

The mental health aspect is a difficult one for me, I've ever known one person who seruously lost the plot after a few yrs of use, but he was a highly strung and difficult person before he started smoking....I think that burn-out and a break down was on the cards regardless of whether he smoked or not.

• Like 3

I wonder what this chap was on? Thoughts? he did say 'planning a trip' :lol: