Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Supernova

White Crane Feather

This morning I got up and spotted what was probably Venus. It was very bright, probably the brightest i have seen for any planet. so I thought it might have been a supernova. It wasn't, but discovered a rate supernova actually was in progress...,

Cool

http://science.time.com/2014/01/30/supernova-explodes-nearby/

• Like 1

This morning I got up and spotted what was probably Venus.

That is almost certainty what you saw, as Venus is a bright morning object at the moment. At it's brightest, on a Moonless nigh ahd in a dark area well away from town lights Venus is bright enough to cast shadows. Sadly, as a city dweller, I have never seen this myself.

This morning I got up and spotted what was probably Venus.

It wasn't, but discovered a rate supernova actually was in progress...,

[shameless plug for the UM Astronomy section mode] I think you should read this section more often. Then you would have discovered that this supernova had occurred nine days ago here: Bright Supernova in M82

Or discover that NASA were studying the supernova with several of their spacecraft six days ago here: NASA Spacecraft Take Aim At Nearby Supernova [/shameless plug for the UM Astronomy section mode]

It's typical that this supernova should occur just when two things happen:

1. I get a new par of binoculars that would make observing my first ever supernova possible
  2. The UK experiences it's rainiest January in recorded history.

Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

I'm surprised I didn't get space weather alert. Rrrrrrrrrr.

This morning I got up and spotted what was probably Venus. It was very bright, probably the brightest i have seen for any planet. so I thought it might have been a supernova. It wasn't, but discovered a rate supernova actually was in progress...,

Cool

http://science.time....xplodes-nearby/

Oh wow. Is there any other photo's of the Supernova in the act?