Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russian Space Farmers Harvest Crops

Waspie_Dwarf

Russian Space Farmers Harvest Wheat, Peas and Greens

MOSCOW, January 29 (RIA Novosti) – A variety of crops have been successfully harvested on board the International Space Station and verified as safe to eat, a Russian scientist said Wednesday.

“The experiments with peas have been very promising,” Margarita Levinskikh, a researcher at the Institute of Biomedical Problems told an annual space conference in Moscow.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 3

This will be a big step for NASA to grow food on there Spaceships

next thing you know, there will be space animal farms, and after that space McDonalds!

• Like 1

I bet fresh veggies is very welcome on the spacestation.

next thing you know, there will be space animal farms, and after that space McDonalds!

"Would you like some space fries with that?"

I suspect food replication can't be far in the future, but fresh vegetables is a very healthy step in the right direction.

• Like 1

erm, haven't they been growing stuff for years on the ISS? Heres a story from 2010 on same

http://www.nasa.gov/...rch/10-074.html

Yes, one of the key experiments was the WAICO experiment conducted in the BIOLAB experiment module

onboard the ESA COLUMBUS ISS1 module. The plant seeds were placed in a translucent jelly and the whole

stuff was capsuled in special designed little metal containers. The samples were lifted up to the ISS during the

STS122 mission on 07FEB2008 and returned for analysis in Germany on 20FEB2008. As I was involved in

the "3rd row" I had the chance that time to talk with the principle investigator, based in Hannover/Germany.

And yes, the experiment was a part of the explorations for options for food growing during long time space stays

and long distance space travels, means to Mars.

http://www.esa.int/O...rts_in_Columbus

• Like 1

I think uintill we find a very cheap way to get in orbit, space cultivations belongs in the far future...

I think uintill we find a very cheap way to get in orbit, space cultivations belongs in the far future...

Clearly not, as the original article proves.

This is not about large scale farming to send back to Earth, it is about providing fresh food for long duration crews (on missions to Mars for example). Launch costs have little to do with it, keeping the crew fed and health does.

Besides whilst launch costs are high it makes sense to grow food in space. Once the hydroponic systems are set up it becomes much cheaper to launch seeds than the grown food.

• Like 2

Knowledge about the lyrics is mandatory to join the chorus. :yes:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We Indeed have plenty of fertilizer down here on planet earth ! Its actually getting quite deep !

• Like 1