Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Voynich manuscript explained

PsychoticHorticulturalist

I think dismissiveness is a serious psychological disease. It is as if being dismissive is some kind of strange fad.

I accept the mystery of this manuscript, hope it continues forever. But I do not like dismissive analysis. It is so unappealing of Rugg.

I read somewhere that the manuscript was written in the 14-15th century...a time when the educated and powerful were facinated with the concept of alchemy, mystery and magic and that's exactly what this manuscript represents...it is either an elaborate hoax, to scam some nobleman or even king (looking for the elixor of youth) outta his gold...or the guy that wrote it was a genius, that just didnt want any one else to read his encripted ramblings. either way, I don't see the fascination with something that cant be read!

It's much more likely to be a type of late Medieval/early Renaissance... well, "joke" isn't the right word. Nor is "hoax". "Koan", maybe? In any case, it was probably devised to be completely inscrutable, so you don't approach it from a rational position, but to appreciate the time, skill and effort expended to create something beautiful with no immediate purpose. It was a way to think about how god created man, a way to get away from a style of thinking that was human-centric and so tainted by sin.

--Jaylemurph

I've always thought it was a artwork to showcase someones talent. Perhaps someone who couldn't read, but wanted to show he could illuminate a text on plants or herbalism.

If there are no other samples of this language, or writing, or plants, or writer, etc. then it's logical the thing is a hoax. Could've been made for some noble who paid the author for some fake botany study.

'It's a herbological tome' .. I wonder how he figured that one out .. Certainly not coz of all the pictures of plants .. -_-' And he needed God to tell him that ..

Now, Bedfordshire University's Stephen Bax says he has deciphered 10 words, which could lead to more discoveries.

The combination of apparent Mexican plants with astronomy may point to a connection with Aztec astrology.

That would be cool to finally have the mystery solved.