Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rats could evolve to be as big as sheep

UM-Bot

The extinction of several large mammal species could pave the way for super-sized rats.

Being highly adaptable, rats could soon grow to huge sizes if other larger mammal species disappear. The largest rodent species alive today is the capybara which can weigh up to 80kg, however in the past there have been even larger specimens - the extinct Josephoartegasia monesi for example grew to be the size of a large cow and weighed over a ton.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/261866/rats-could-evolve-to-be-as-big-as-sheep

• Like 1

Bet they don't taste anywhere near as good though.

• Like 1

I find Dr Zalaseiwicz's reasoning to be a bit woolly.

Maybe he just wants to be herd?

:mellow:

• Like 3

I find Dr Zalaseiwicz's reasoning to be a bit woolly.

Maybe he just wants to be herd?

:mellow:

Shepherds will need to join the real world now and date rats.

I'm sure as long as there are domestics cats the problem won't get that "big".

• Like 1

Domestic cats might be why they get big, The biggist thing my cat can take down is a rabbit. Rats are a lot smarter than a rabbit, too. A creationist riding a rat, imagine that.

Just imagine a heard of those big-ass rats charging right toward you. Pretty chilling actually.

• Like 1

Scary to think that rats could get to that seize.

But yeah, ancient sorts of rats were there as far as in the era of dinausors and have made it to this day in various forms, in our sewers and empty streets. It may not be unlikely that if they get the opportunity to evolve even more, they'll seize it.

Edited by sam_comm

Aren't rats already that big in New York? Oh, wait, I think that's Washington DC.

• Like 1

Domestic cats might be why they get big, The biggist thing my cat can take down is a rabbit. Rats are a lot smarter than a rabbit, too. A creationist riding a rat, imagine that.

The biggest thing my pal the cat has taken down was my living room curtains!

• Like 2

Well, guess I'll be raising them things in barns instead of cages. LOL

• Like 2

they'd be like packs of wild boars running around killing everything in their way.

geez

this sounds bad

• Like 1

Some of the Asian Countries use Rats in Curry,dont they taste like chicken ? or is that snakes.

Rats are pretty tasty. Many cultures eat them. I've eaten many squirrels and also have eaten one beaver. In Southern Louisiana they eat Nutria which are supposed to be quite tasty. Also they eat Guinea Pig and Capybara in South America. So bring em on! I'll just fry them up and eat them!

A couple went into a Hong Kong restaurant with their small dog,they ordered, and said could you feed the dog. The dog was presented on a plate within the hour cooked and ready to eat...true it made Time Magazine.

• Like 1

A couple went into a Hong Kong restaurant with their small dog,they ordered, and said could you feed the dog. The dog was presented on a plate within the hour cooked and ready to eat...true it made Time Magazine.

Did they finish it or take some home in a doggy-bag?

I'm wondering if the rats legs/feet/ankles will need to adapt to this evolution. To me it seems that their feet and ankles would not handle the increased weight if they were to grow in size.

I just had a visual of the Rodents of Unusual Size in the Fire Swamp in The Princess Bride - anyone else remember that? What a great movie ...