Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged]Astrobiologist to present ET life claims

UM-Bot

Richard Hoover will be presenting his evidence for alien life at the International UFO Congress.

The controversial retired NASA astrobiologist has been making headlines for years thanks to his belief that conclusive evidence of extraterrestrial life has already been found.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/262039/astrobiologist-to-present-et-life-claims

• Like 2

It never ceases to amaze me how many will cling to old beliefs even in this new millennia. For years now the actual primary building blocks of life, “Amino Acids” have been found free-floating in space. This is the equivalent of discovering that space is a type of vast ocean and we occupy just a crevasse next to a chunk of coral. Human beings haven’t been around long enough to take up the arrogant position that we are the ultimate authorities on exactly what constitutes life, let alone extraterrestrial life. We only recently discovered bacteria living in radioactive waste. What this means is that we may not even be able to recognize alien life if it was standing in front of us. Some life forms may look diffent when appearing in our plane of existence or atmosphere just as deep sea creatures look different on the surface world than they do in the ocean's depths. Dr. Richard Hoover is exactly correct and he will more than likely be revered a hundred years from now for his discovery. The age we now live in will be looked upon as the dark-age’s cutting-edge scientific thinking, when science was afraid to venture out of academic mind-sets into the new frontiers of the unknown.

Very well said and I totally agree.

I remember loking into this a while back. I came to the same conclusion of his evidence as mainstream scientists. The so called fossils are natural formations within the rock. which came about through geological processes.

That is not nearly enough on it's own. I think when most people think of Alien life, they think, well little grey beings. And as tantalizing as his (Hoover's) argument is, in my eyes is still not definite proof. Who's to say that Amino acids aren't just universal like a lot of other things are.

It never ceases to amaze me how many will cling to old beliefs even in this new millennia. For years now the actual primary building blocks of life, “Amino Acids” have been found free-floating in space. This is the equivalent of discovering that space is a type of vast ocean and we occupy just a crevasse next to a chunk of coral. Human beings haven’t been around long enough to take up the arrogant position that we are the ultimate authorities on exactly what constitutes life, let alone extraterrestrial life. We only recently discovered bacteria living in radioactive waste. What this means is that we may not even be able to recognize alien life if it was standing in front of us. Some life forms may look diffent when appearing in our plane of existence or atmosphere just as deep sea creatures look different on the surface world than they do in the ocean's depths. Dr. Richard Hoover is exactly correct and he will more than likely be revered a hundred years from now for his discovery. The age we now live in will be looked upon as the dark-age’s cutting-edge scientific thinking, when science was afraid to venture out of academic mind-sets into the new frontiers of the unknown.

I don't think that most people would argue against the fact that the building blocks of life are free floating in space. In 1834 Jons Berzelius discovered carbon compounds in a meteorite that fell in France and ever since then there have been multiple instances of meteorites falling to earth loaded with the building blocks of life. The Murchison Meteorite in 1969 contained Amino Acids that are used by terrestrial life but it begs the question, are these amino acids the decayed remnants of an extraterrrestrial life form or the result of chemical processes? Many of the amino acids had left handed hellicity, just like our right handed DNA uses but polarized light can create this as well.

I think the best you can get out of this is the argument that life didn't start as some miraculous event occurring spontaneously in a promordial soup but the building blcoks of life were delivered in pieces from space. This isn't proof of life, it is proof that the building blocks of life are abundant in space and delivered to habitable planets via meteors, comets and asteroids.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 8

I think the best you can get out of this is the argument that life didn't start as some miraculous event occurring spontaneously in a promordial soup but the building blcoks of life were delivered in pieces from space. This isn't proof of life, it is proof that the building blocks of life are abundant in space and delivered to habitable planets via meteors, comets and asteroids.

I agree, from what we have found so far with astrobiology (from meteors to the Curiosity missions et al) we can't currently infer anything more than the possibility that life exists beyond Earth. We are still missing that elusive 'Exhibit A' however I'm optimistic that it will be found within my lifetime...at least I hope so.

• Like 6

I agree, from what we have found so far with astrobiology (from meteors to the Curiosity missions et al) we can't currently infer anything more than the possibility that life exists beyond Earth. We are still missing that elusive 'Exhibit A' however I'm optimistic that it will be found within my lifetime...at least I hope so.

I think we will find proof of life in the next decade as well, either with some fossil record, artifact or with one of the new generation telescopes schedule to come on line.

• Like 4

I wonder how man people Hoover will suck in....

Boom Boom. I congratulate you, sir.

Edited by mesuma

Again microbes.. Wat most ppl want to see/know is inteligent life. I think there r lots of alien civilisations out there. Some still stone age, some quite mordern like us n just a few capable of interstellar space travel. I also believe some planets out there just harbour non-inteligent life (animals, monsters...). Earth is just a speck of dust in the universe i really don think we r alone..

Edited by TheGreatBeliever

Hoover gets wheeled out periodically by true believers (and obviously he can still make a small buck from the ufology circuit) , but all he has is structures that look vaguely similar to microbial life residue. They also look a lot like natural geological intrusions, and some/most/all of them are from potentially contaminated sources.

As for amino acids - save me. Yes, they are indeed some of the basic building blocks of life - but so is flippin' hydrogen, and carbon, and that isn't 'news' - there's a lot of that stuff around our nearest star.. No scientist has yet been able to make life from amino acids, so forgive me if I dismiss Hoover and wait upon something a bit closer to real life like alien DNA, instead of this incredibly weak 'evidence' that would only satisfy Zoserians. Unfortunately there are enough of those around to make these ufology conferences still viable.

• Like 3

For years now the actual primary building blocks of life, “Amino Acids” have been found free-floating in space..

Me ignorant yes, no doubt there and yes I am sure of that !!! can you please quote or point me towards the scientific paper which proved this ? Other then this -- "Yi-Jehng Kuan of the National Taiwan Normal University and co-workers from the NASA Ames Research Center and the Polish Academy of Sciences searched for the molecule in the hot cores of three giant molecular clouds, which are regions of active star formation. They measured the spectral lines of the clouds - Sagittarius-B2, Orion-KL and W51 - over a four-year period using the 12-metre telescope at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) in Arizona.

Observing the spectral lines in these clouds - which are tens of thousand of light-years away - is not easy because the lines are very weak. Moreover, the molecular transitions that cause them can be contaminated by emissions from "interloper" molecules in the surrounding medium. To overcome these difficulties, Kuan and co-workers concentrated on high-frequency molecular transitions that occur in warm, dense regions of the clouds. The chemical process that actually produces glycine in the interstellar medium is not understood, although lab-based experiments suggest that amino acids can be created by exposing organic molecules in interstellar ice to ultraviolet radiation.

The researchers claim that the discovery of glycine is the first step in establishing the crucial link between amino acids in space and the emergence of life in the solar system or, indeed, elsewhere in the galaxy. The molecular spectra seen in interstellar gas clouds closely matches those found in comets and meteorites, and comparing them could in principle allow astronomers - or exobiologists - to trace the origin of the Earth's early chemistry to its parent gas cloud."

Or the claim is in hypothetical stages. I do not claim we are the only ones. There are bound to be other life forms on planets in various galaxies including our own or it is an "awful waste of space" as one movie suggested. I agree with the statement.

All I am trying to say here is claims made are yet to be substantiated with proof and we are very much behind on the science of proving that yet, I just hope that we would get there soon.

We would have Bladerunners working among us then :yes: . Not joking really, AI is not a tall tale either, we right now may have achieved it and are not telling or maybe we would get there sometime soon maybe (I Wish).

It's pretty interesting. Controversial, definitely, but not inconceivable. I should look into it a bit more.

What I find to be a cautionary item is the fact that he supported the idea of Red Rain to be ET along with our favourite Chandra "chicken little" Wickramasinghe as evidence of ET life as well.

From the Link:

Hoover is currently a visiting scientist at Athens State University and a visiting research professor with the Centre for Astrobiology at the University of Buckingham. The later made headlines twice in 2013 for additional announcements of the discovery of evidence for extraterrestrial life. The first was with another paper submitted to the Journal of Cosmology claiming a meteorite in Sri Lanka contained fossilized diatoms they believed to be extraterrestrial. Then in September 2013, the group used balloons to find small biological organisms in the stratosphere where it is theorized earth bound organisms cannot exits.

Like Chandra, he seems overly eager to be "the one" to announce proof of ET life, and like Chandra, he seem to be regularly popping up with new or revised claims that are somewhat premature, and always eventually proven to be incorrect. He might be right, but I feel we are going to find some poetic license being utilised here.

Agreed. Also, I have always had a bias towards lifeforms existing in the upper atmosphere, a la Bradbury.

I cannot say I have read the series. I was more thinking along the lines of Sagan's Jovian "sinkers", "floaters", and "hunters".

• Like 1

Remember the reports of "starjelly" back in the 80's? That was one of the things that originally got me into the Unexplained genre.

Edited by aquatus1
  • Like 1

I cannot say I have read the series. I was more thinking along the lines of Sagan's Jovian "sinkers", "floaters", and "hunters".

That was one of my favorite shows in the series. So glad they are bringing it back in a month or two.