Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US tests its latest nuclear bomb

seeder

The US has successfully tested an updated version of a B-61 atomic bomb in defiance of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, which calls for nuclear disarmament.

The National Nuclear Security Administration said in a statement that the test was conducted on Tuesday by the Los Alamos and Sandia national laboratories, National Journal reported.

The analysis "is a significant achievement and gives us confidence in our ability to move forward with our efforts to increase the safety and security of the bomb," Don Cook, NNSA deputy administrator for defense programs, said.

The test was meant to verify how a new model of the B-61 bomb would work under routine conditions or accident scenarios, according to the NNSA.

http://www.presstv.i...61-atomic-bomb/

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

On the one hand, we need to have our nuclear arsenal up to date because the world is not a nice place.

On the other it reminds me of an exchange from the show Babylon 5:

Sheridan: "How will this end?"

Kosh: "In fire."

The US has successfully tested an updated version of a B-61 atomic bomb in defiance of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, which calls for nuclear disarmament.

The National Nuclear Security Administration said in a statement that the test was conducted on Tuesday by the Los Alamos and Sandia national laboratories, National Journal reported.

The analysis "is a significant achievement and gives us confidence in our ability to move forward with our efforts to increase the safety and security of the bomb," Don Cook, NNSA deputy administrator for defense programs, said.

The test was meant to verify how a new model of the B-61 bomb would work under routine conditions or accident scenarios, according to the NNSA.

http://www.presstv.i...61-atomic-bomb/

These bombs have been in the arsenal for many years. This test was to keep them safe and the article dangles the idea that one was detonated which is clearly non-sense. In fact it is Russia who is actually developing and testing (no detonations) new types of nukes.

Actually the test isn't in contravention of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty as the United States is one of the five recognised nuclear powers (along with Russia, China, France and the United Kingdom).

But if you are going to use the Iranian State news agency (a nation that IS in contravention of the treaty) then you are really looking for a balanced or truthful discussion on the subject are you?

• Like 4

On the one hand, we need to have our nuclear arsenal up to date because the world is not a nice place.

On the other it reminds me of an exchange from the show Babylon 5:

Sheridan: "How will this end?"

Kosh: "In fire."

Yep - they got that from scripture, actually.

If that had been Iran testing a bomb the worlds media would be in a frenzy, but in regard to the statement -

"in defiance of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, which calls for nuclear disarmament" perhaps it shows that the US means "Do as we say" and not...do as we do

• Like 1

safety and security of the bomb ...

:rofl:

~

• Like 2

I would imagine nuclear states work on improvements. Longevity, safety, weight, reliability, portability, concealability, maybe the ability to turn one off after launch, all these come to mind.

If that had been Iran testing a bomb the worlds media would be in a frenzy, but in regard to the statement -

"in defiance of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, which calls for nuclear disarmament" perhaps it shows that the US means "Do as we say" and not...do as we do

At this point all the sold out sheep of the left will make more excuses over an Iranian test than THEY do... Madness - but it is madness that will quickly enough bite EVERYONE - not just those who wanted to avoid it. We'll see how fair minded they are when their gas is 10 bucks a gallon or they can't heat their homes. Once Iran is untouchable we will see their true nature in the region and the wider world. Then even the left will have to admit (to themselves) that fairness is for playgrounds of kindergartens.

I expect this was one of those new ones, such as was used to demolish the WTC, that leave no fallout and barely detectable radiation, apart of course from sizzling neutrons. Or perhaps they've ironed that out now, and they wanted to check if the neutrons do in fact still sizzle. :unsure2:

• Like 2

At this point all the sold out sheep of the left will make more excuses over an Iranian test than THEY do... Madness - but it is madness that will quickly enough bite EVERYONE - not just those who wanted to avoid it. We'll see how fair minded they are when their gas is 10 bucks a gallon or they can't heat their homes. Once Iran is untouchable we will see their true nature in the region and the wider world. Then even the left will have to admit (to themselves) that fairness is for playgrounds of kindergartens.

Ah, of course it's the sold out sheep of the Left that put the future of humanity in danger. If the Right was in charge then the world would be a more peaceful and safer place. Perhaps because Iran would've already been Nuked by now, pre-emptively.

Is there a rolleyes smilie? :wacko: That'll do.

• Like 1

seeder, you do realize that the same thing is routinely done to aging aircraft powerplants, frames and aviation packages, yes? The guys who flew B-52's in Korea era would hardly recognize them today for all the new systems that have been added for safety and accuracy. It is COMMON. Would you prefer we still be flying the same ones they did? Or would you just prefer we weren't flying at all?

There is a big difference between testing the components of a nuclear bomb, and the actual detonation of a live nuclear weapon.

Tests of bomb components happens in all nuclear weapons states, to insure they are working properly, but no actual nuclear reactions take place.

Im not saying that nuclear weapons are great, but lets try to keep some perspective here !

• Like 2

Ah, of course it's the sold out sheep of the Left that put the future of humanity in danger. If the Right was in charge then the world would be a more peaceful and safer place. Perhaps because Iran would've already been Nuked by now, pre-emptively.

Perfect example - ladies and gentlemen I give you:PCMAN! Piles bull**** in a single pass! Able to refuse all logic with religious fervor and faster than moped on ethanol.... :w00t: And his best trick will be blaming the "right" as he's reaping the consequences of HIS actions :tu:

Consequences of my actions? This has become just another outlet for ranting on about the "Left" again, has it? Next I suppose it'll be a hard-hitting analysis of how Islam is a danger to the world, yet again, however much relevance or otherwise it has to the topic of the thread.

• Like 1

Consequences of my actions? This has become just another outlet for ranting on about the "Left" again, has it? Next I suppose it'll be a hard-hitting analysis of how Islam is a danger to the world, yet again, however much relevance or otherwise it has to the topic of the thread.

Supporting the right of Iran - or any other rogue state to nukes based on an idea of "fairness" is foolish. The fact that you attempt to twist and turn every statement I make into something that it clearly is not just shows your own bias and frankly gets a bit tiring after awhile. Yes..consequences of YOUR actions, you and every other person who acts the shill for despotic governments. If Iran is innocent in your eyes then it tells me all I need to know about your priorities.

I agree with And Then that there are many nations that can't be trusted with nuclear weapons, or even nuclear fuel. And IMHO, Iran is one of those that is still in the NO catagory. They are ruled by a holyman who can change national law at 15 minutes notice. There are no checks and balances in their government to prevent religious, emtional, and immediate use of any nuclear arsenal.

• Like 1

Are you claiming that And Then proposed a pre-emptive nuclear strike?

It is beyond a doubt that if we invaded and destroyed the Iranian military, economy and government, that any nuclear threat would end. It is only because MOST of the world is a kinder gentler place that such is not done anymore. But, perhaps Iran is not a kinder and gentler place?

• Like 1

Understand one thing, you can only deal reasonably with reasonable people.

• Like 1

... reasonable judged by what or whose standards with which to apply and when ?

I don't care if the a next Nuclear Strike is to 'stop' some Leader of a Nation's grandmother from being mercilessly raped by 'fundamental' terrorists ... the Earth will NOT tolerate anymore and not even ONE ... more atomic or nuclear strike against Terran Life forms and beings, directly or indirectly ... Atomic/Nuclear Weapons ARE banned ... regardless of purpose or reasons put forward for its 'reasonable' conditions of 'use' ... solve your own problems but leave the rest of us out of it ...

Non proliferation ? Exactly ... just exactly what it means ... no if or but ...

~

Isn't this the same Iranian News Agency that recently said that the US and Obama are in league with reptilian aliens or some such nonsense?

• Like 1

... reasonable judged by what or whose standards with which to apply and when ?

I don't care if the a next Nuclear Strike is to 'stop' some Leader of a Nation's grandmother from being mercilessly raped by 'fundamental' terrorists ... the Earth will NOT tolerate anymore and not even ONE ... more atomic or nuclear strike against Terran Life forms and beings, directly or indirectly ... Atomic/Nuclear Weapons ARE banned ... regardless of purpose or reasons put forward for its 'reasonable' conditions of 'use' ... solve your own problems but leave the rest of us out of it ...

Non proliferation ? Exactly ... just exactly what it means ... no if or but ...

~

It sounds good, third, and I agree completely. But reasonable people should be able to put aside squabbles over politics and look at the facts of what is happening in Iran and see that they did not spend over 100 billion dollars to generate electricity. Countries with such ambitions do not bury (and hide) production facilities for their fuel - even if an aggressor already has destroyed a bomb making set up in a neighboring country. There is a known scientific footprint for electrical generation and for a path to bomb building and it is obvious which direction the Iranians have taken. They have now but to decide to assemble and that can be done in a few weeks. It would now take a true regime change and demolition of most of their infrastructure to stop them getting a bomb and that simply isn't going to happen. But let's at least be honest about their intentions fgs.