Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

!O! !M! !G!

Stellar

Well, I'm getting close to graduating and I've been talking more and more about joining the reserves for now and then joining the canadian airforce, and, as can be expected, my parents are worried. My dad's worried, but he's got a grasp on the reality of the world at least... My mom? Either she doesnt have a grasp on reality, or is just trying to scare me out of joining by insulting my intelligence basically. She's just finished talking to me about how Russia might invade Canada because there might be terrorist cells in Canada, and therefor Canada sponsors terrorism. laugh.gif

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fluffybunny

• Tia

• Stellar

• mypaddedroom

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm getting close to graduating and I've been talking more and more about joining the reserves for now and then joining the canadian airforce, and, as can be expected, my parents are worried. My dad's worried, but he's got a grasp on the reality of the world at least... My mom? Either she doesnt have a grasp on reality, or is just trying to scare me out of joining by insulting my intelligence basically. She's just finished talking to me about how Russia might invade Canada because there might be terrorist cells in Canada, and therefor Canada sponsors terrorism.  laugh.gif

333081[/snapback]

Maybe you should tell them that the goverment will give you a free education. Then you'll see how "worried" she is....

Edited by Diebytheflyguy

original.gif From what Ive heard, Rusia would have to barrow money from Canada, to invade Canada. Tell her they have thier own problems.

I have, I have, and yes I know.

Stellar it could be worse, she could just look at you, shrug her shoulders, and say "whatever..."

At least she cares...

Well, I'm getting close to graduating and I've been talking more and more about joining the reserves for now and then joining the canadian airforce, and, as can be expected, my parents are worried. My dad's worried, but he's got a grasp on the reality of the world at least... My mom? Either she doesnt have a grasp on reality, or is just trying to scare me out of joining by insulting my intelligence basically. She's just finished talking to me about how Russia might invade Canada because there might be terrorist cells in Canada, and therefor Canada sponsors terrorism.  laugh.gif

333081[/snapback]

This sounds eerily similar to my situation as a high-schooler. My mom and dad were paranoid of the thought of me being in the military. A big part of this was the experience my dad had coming home from Vietnam (not serving in Vietnam, but coming home and feeling completely unappreciated). They were worried that we would get into another Vietnam and I would risk death only to suffer the same experience if I made it home. (BTW, my dad now feels the Vietnam war was stupid).

During the recent gulf war, I had a strong feeling that I had missed out by never serving my country. At the same time, I look at how my life has turned out, and I am glad I am where I am.

I hope you make the decision that is best for you, but that you hear your parents out (which you probably already have).

I have only one year to go at high school and have looked at studying with the defence force and naturally my parents were a little worried and upset that I would have to move to another state and then once I had finished my study would have to serve for the amount of time I studied plus one year.

Its just one option for me.

If you really want to do this , you should, in the end its your life and your decision. And its great that your parents care so much about you to!

I agree with your Mom....Russia is going to invade Canada...but not because of terrorists...they seek the 100% pure Canadian Maple Syrup...at least that is why I would invade Canada original.gif ...Luckily though I can buy it at my local WholeFoods Grocery...albeit $10 a bottle....I knew there was something I liked about Canada wink2.gif

Oh and btw, I think joining is an excellent idea. You will be the better for it. I promise! thumbsup.gif

Edited by joc

Good luck with it Stellar.

We're actually encouraging our son to look at the airforce or navy when he's old enough. He would love to be a pilot but unfortuently he's not going to have the grades ( learning difficulties ). The next best thing would be a mechanic on the planes or helicoptors. We talked to some guys who do that and they were really helpful, letting us know that a lot of them had similar problems but found the job suits them perfectly.

Stellar it could be worse, she could just look at you, shrug her shoulders, and say "whatever..."

At least she cares...

333685[/snapback]

Very, very good point!

At least she cares...

333685[/snapback]

Very, very good point!

333850[/snapback]

I'm third on what fluffy said. Your mom really cares about you and is worried you might be captured and killed, killed in action, she just doesn't want to see you holding a gun and charging into a field of fire and hatred...

Do you have a brother or sister? If you do, I don't know why she nags on you...if your an only child, it would be heartbreaking to see an only child risk his life for his country.

Edited by Hailo_hellFIRE

Are you graduating from high school? I remember my high School graduation, it was a great time. Congratualtiona on graduating, and goold luck with your future plans! thumbsup.gif

I had a friend who was already in the American reserves before Bush was even elected president...he wrote me a letter (one of the many letters he sent out to family and friends) from his final base before flying out to Iraq before the war started...he used to always come into the IHOP I worked at in high school and drink coffee and keep me company until 6am when I got off, he was great like that. Two years ahead of me in high school too, so he had already graduated. He worked at a pizza place...his little sister was given the job of calling all of his friends when the family found out he died in the war. The family didn't have a funeral, they had the body cremated...I didn't go to the service. Maybe that is why your mom (although has delusions of Russia) is trying to come up with any story, as crazy as it sounds, to keep you from joining.

In the letter he had written, he said he never thought he would ever actually go to war, never occurred to him as a possibility when he signed up. He said he wasn't scared, then he said this, and I'm typing it exactly what he wrote to me in the letter, his very last sentences in it..."I wonder what it's going to be like in Iraq, it just feels like I'm going to another base camp. I think this is all so weird, I hope my manager will give me my job when I come back, I wonder how long I'll be gone, I'll write you when I get a chance."

Patriotic to join, yes, but think about what mental state your parents are in. Tell them why you want to join and why, most of all, it's important for you. They want to know that if something were to happen to their son, that it won't be because of you wanting help academically, or because it looks good on college applications, they want to know that if something were to happen to you, it was worth it for YOU.

Hay original.gif you can always gain your Parents support by scare tactics ... just ask their help in filling out your Welfare application *L*

Do what you want – follow your dreams, make them reality! You can do whatever you put your mind too! thumbsup.gif

Steller, im joining the Reserves in about 2 months or so, Joining the Hasty P's (HAsting and PRince Edward Regiment), then ill transfure to the RCRs in Petawawa after a few years in the Reserves.

~Thanato

The 8 years I was in the Army was some of the best times of my life...some of the worst times too, but overall was an amazing experience that made me who I am today.

I am glad I did it, but I would recommend that anyone that is considering it do a lot of research as to what they will be going through as it isn't for everyone. It is dangerous, and you do spend a lot of time away from home, friends, and family. You don't have the freedom to do as you want anymore; it isn't like a job that you can quit if you decide you don't like it. Don't rely on the recruiter to give you the whole story as they won't...

In other words, do your homework before you sign the paperwork thumbsup.gif

Do what you want – follow your dreams, make them reality! You can do whatever you put your mind too! thumbsup.gif

334477[/snapback]

i agree grin2.gif

I just found out the RAAF has a work experience program, does the Canadian air force have that? We also have an air league for kids between 8 and 18 which gives them a good chance to be around planes.

Canadian Air-Force? We have one of those now?

laugh.gif Somebody found the Icarus Wings!