Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unsolved Triple Murder, North Carolina, 1972

Regi

Hi Feet, and welcome to the forum. I hail from Wilkes County NC, the home of both the Durham and Hall families. Although I was just a youth at the time of the murders, I remember well the gossip and rumors that swirled about during that time. The general consensus was that the son-in-law was the culprit, with the daughter being complicit to some degree either before or after. I agree with this theory and have posted numerous links to support my opinion. I have always hoped that someday the truth would come to light, be it via deathbed confession or a witness'freedom from fear of repercussion. Now, thanks to Asheonce, we have been made aware of the passing of Troy Hall. Is it unrealistic for us to hope that new details might be forthcoming? Hopefully not!

Hi NC Hillbilly 2 - thanks for your message. One of the things I've heard is that there was some sort of basketball game planned in town that Thursday afternoon. I'm not sure if it was at the local high school or the App State, but I have heard that Bobby Joe was planning to attend the game. I'm fuzzy on details, but I would be curious to know where the game was supposed to be held, whether it was cancelled because of the weather, and if Bobby Joe made it to the stadium earlier that evening. 

I'd also be interested to know more about that day in general from anyone who remembers it. How much did it snow? Did any of the schools or businesses close down early? And, notably, how late did the App State library stay open that evening? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FeetToTheFire said:

Hi NC Hillbilly 2 - thanks for your message. One of the things I've heard is that there was some sort of basketball game planned in town that Thursday afternoon. I'm not sure if it was at the local high school or the App State, but I have heard that Bobby Joe was planning to attend the game. I'm fuzzy on details, but I would be curious to know where the game was supposed to be held, whether it was cancelled because of the weather, and if Bobby Joe made it to the stadium earlier that evening. 

I'd also be interested to know more about that day in general from anyone who remembers it. How much did it snow? Did any of the schools or businesses close down early? And, notably, how late did the App State library stay open that evening? 

Yes, there was a basketball game at ASU that evening, and Bobby was supposed to attend with friends. But he must have decided to go home with his parents due to the weather conditions. This is commented on by one of his friends in an article from Wautaga Democrat back in 2015. See link below.

As for the snow that day, I've always thought that it might have been over dramatized in the articles that have been written. From the same news story in Watauga Democrat link, there is a picture of the driveway and house on the morning after the murders. The snow in the picture doesn't look that bad to me. For anyone familiar with Boone, that amount of snow represents a moderate winter storm for that area. It's enough to stay off the road unless necessary to travel, but it's often much worse than that in Boone.

Here's the link:

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/news/investigation-of-durham-family-s-slaying-continues/article_e16a2616-a983-11e4-9e07-bbfdbdd91c44.html

• Like 2

Thanks for your response asheonce. I have seen a photograph of the house taken shortly after the crime was discovered and I agree that there is very little snow on the ground. In fact, the photo itself shows large, patchy spots of grass on the lawn where snow had melted, so it seems completely plausible that the snowstorm wasn't actually as severe as it has been described. 

I've been working on a succinct timeline of events from the day of the murders, and I'd be curious to see if anyone can add anything to it: 

3pm: Snow is reported to have started falling late in the afternoon 

3pm-5pm: Ginny Durham calls her father Bryce and asks for a ride from her job at the university back to her home at Greenway Village and Bryce arrives about thirty minutes following the call, drops Ginny off, and returns to the dealership 

5:45pm: Bryce Durham offers to take a dealership employee home, concerned that they cannot make it safely in their own vehicle; Bryce returns to the dealership 

6:15pm: Bryce leaves the dealership and drives to the Rotary Club meeting 

8:00pm: Bryce leaves the Rotary Club meeting and drives back to Boone where Virginia and Bobby Joe are waiting at the dealership 

8:30pm: Bryce, Virginia, and Bobby Joe close up the dealership for the evening and take the GMC Jimmy to their residence 

8:45-9:00pm: Neighbors report seeing the Jimmy pull into the driveway at the Durham residence 

9:00-10:50:  The murders occur; around 10:20pm neighbors report hearing the family dogs barking furiously; around 10:30pm Troy Hall allegedly received a mysterious phone call from Virginia, prompting the wellness check 

10:50pm: Boone dispatcher records in call log a report of the homicide and all available units are dispatched to Durham residence 

12am: Highway Patrol identify abandoned GMC Jimmy in a ditch approximately two miles from the Durham residence 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 3:11 PM, FeetToTheFire said:

Check out this post #9 on another forum:

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/nc-bryce-51-virginia-46-bobby-durham-19-boone-2-feb-1972.256704/

It's probably the best theory I've seen on any of these forums. From a poster named TacyBear

• Thanks 1

On 9/28/2021 at 8:56 PM, asheonce said:

Check out this post #9 on another forum:

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/nc-bryce-51-virginia-46-bobby-durham-19-boone-2-feb-1972.256704/

It's probably the best theory I've seen on any of these forums. From a poster named TacyBear

Thanks for sharing this post - it does provide a very compelling possible account of the crime. It makes sense to me that firearms were brandished and perhaps used to compel the Durhams to speak. I believe that bullet holes were found at the crime scene. However, I remain convinced that the perpetrators were not there for a straightforward robbery. Instead, I think they were looking for something very specific in the house, and that they likely did not have an exact idea of where it was located. It's also worth mentioning that both Mr. and Mrs. Durham had taken out sizable insurance policies before they relocated to Watauga County. 

7 hours ago, FeetToTheFire said:

It's also worth mentioning that both Mr. and Mrs. Durham had taken out sizable insurance policies before they relocated to Watauga County.

That info is new to me. Most interesting! Do you know who the beneficiaries were, perchance?

8 hours ago, nchillbilly2 said:

That info is new to me. Most interesting! Do you know who the beneficiaries were, perchance?

Unfortunately, I do not know who the named beneficiaries were for the policy. However, if I had to make a guess, it would have been their son and daughter - Ginny and Bobby Joe. The rest of their estate was to be divided equally among their children, so I'm presuming that this would also be the case for their insurance policies. I would very much like to see the SBI files on the case, but unfortunately those are not open for public access. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FeetToTheFire said:

Unfortunately, I do not know who the named beneficiaries were for the policy. However, if I had to make a guess, it would have been their son and daughter - Ginny and Bobby Joe.

That would be my guess as well. I had mentioned earlier that inheriting a sizable estate would be a possible motive for the murder, but was advised that the home was rented. Didn't think of insurance. Not having to share with a sibling makes it even more desirable. 

In my opinion, understanding the motive is the key to unlocking this case. To be honest, most of the evidence that I'm aware of is purely circumstantial, and a set of evidence that might point to one motive is confounded by another set of evidence that could just as well point to a different motive. I'm very interested in learning more about what evidence has not been fully released to the public, which happens in all cases, and I am sure that this one is no different in that regard. I was under the impression, though, that the Durhams owned the house on Clyde Townsend Rd and that they purchased it shortly after their arrival to Watauga County in the summer of 1970. 

On 9/12/2014 at 7:23 PM, mbrn30000 said:
On 9/11/2014 at 9:03 PM, NCHillbilly said:

Glad to find this forum. I have been following this case for years and it's good to read what others think. For those who haven't found it already, there is a discussion thread on "GoWilkes" chat forum that was posted a few years back when Tim Bullard wrote about the murders. l am from Wilkes County, NC, as were the Durhams, and Troy Hall. Wilkes borders Watagua Co and l remember hearing about the murders when they ocurred in 72. The general rumor at that time was that the daughter and SIL did it for the money. http://www.gowilkes....ew=20&msg=77993

I think this info is especially interesting because some people who personally knew the victims as well as the suspects have offered some insight that has not been found in news articles. Of course, as in all public forums, there are some off-topic posts and the thread is rather lengthy, but well worth the read for those who are truly intrigued by this case.

Oh, and my two cents worth on how the murders were committed: Strangulation/drowning are normally up close and personal ways to kill but are also less bloody and noisy than guns or knives. The placement of the bodies in water assured that if perchance they survived the strangulation, death by drowning was imminent. Why go to such lengths to insure no one survived unless they could identify their killer(s)? And last, but maybe not least, who wants to inherit a house that is a bloody mess?

I am not sure they owned that house. I looked into the house ownership and i never saw their name. It seems to have been spit from a larger parcel and perhaps they rented it. I think any inheritance would be the dealership, cash and insurance. not sure that is the motive, but I don't think the house was important. The overall estate was valued at 250k I think. A pretty big amount for 1972...someone would kill you over much less even today.

Feet, this is the source of my info regarding the ownership of the Durham home.

NCHillbilly - thanks for sharing your source for that information. According to an old newspaper article, the Durham family had invested $15,000 in their property on Clyde Townsend Rd, and the remainder of the value of the home was mortgaged with Watauga Savings and Loan. However, it is indisputable that the dealership was by far the largest asset that the family owned. I've always been perplexed by the arrest of the four individuals from Asheville - one of them claimed that they were scouting houses to rob, but they elected to drive to Boone during the middle of a snowstorm to rob this particular home? What was their selection criteria? After all, valuables were left behind including a bank deposit bag, jewelry, silver, and a brand new vehicle from the Durham dealership. I've always thought that there was more to the story of their arrest. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, FeetToTheFire said:

NCHillbilly - thanks for sharing your source for that information. According to an old newspaper article, the Durham family had invested $15,000 in their property on Clyde Townsend Rd, and the remainder of the value of the home was mortgaged with Watauga Savings and Loan. However, it is indisputable that the dealership was by far the largest asset that the family owned. I've always been perplexed by the arrest of the four individuals from Asheville - one of them claimed that they were scouting houses to rob, but they elected to drive to Boone during the middle of a snowstorm to rob this particular home? What was their selection criteria? After all, valuables were left behind including a bank deposit bag, jewelry, silver, and a brand new vehicle from the Durham dealership. I've always thought that there was more to the story of their arrest. 

I've always assumed law enforcement was desperate to solve the crime, which is why the four men from Asheville were arrested.

What I've always wondered about is what was going on throughout the remainder of the 1970s as far as investigating the crime is concerned.

Did it go dormant? Does that mean they solved the crime, but could never bring enough evidence to make a case out of it?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, asheonce said:

I've always assumed law enforcement was desperate to solve the crime, which is why the four men from Asheville were arrested.

What I've always wondered about is what was going on throughout the remainder of the 1970s as far as investigating the crime is concerned.

Did it go dormant? Does that mean they solved the crime, but could never bring enough evidence to make a case out of it?

Asheonce- this is a really great question. The charges against the men from Asheville who were arrested were later dropped because there was not sufficient evidence to convict them. I think the best hope of solving this case would be utilizing old DNA evidence and possibly using forensic genealogy to screen for matches. I'm sure a lot of people have been added to state and federal crime databases since the crime occurred. However, does enough DNA exist to run such searches? 

I've also seen several people comment across forums that evidence was lost/destroyed a few years after the case. One agent mentioned inheriting a "thin file," and so I'm curious as to how much evidence still exists for this case. 

• 4 months later...

Here's a good article from an old, trusted local source. The surviving perp, Billy Wayne Davis, claims he was the getaway driver the night of the murders and that it was a hired "hit". Nothing on who may have ordered this hit or why.

https://thewilkesrecord.com/50-year-durham-family-murder-mystery-solved-p3716-149.htm

Hagaman said in the press release, “Led by Birt, Davis, Reed and Gaddis were part of a loosely organized network known as the Georgia-based “Dixie Mafia,” which is thought to have engaged in dozens of violent crimes in Georgia and elsewhere across the Southeast in the 1960s and ‘70s. The 2019 lead first surfaced when Birt’s son, Shane Birt, was at the White County Sheriff’s Office to participate in research for a book about crimes that had taken place in Georgia, including the Fleming Case.”

Hagaman added, “Shane Birt shared that he was very close with his father, and recalled a story Birt had told him during a prison visit when he admitted to killing three people in the North Carolina mountains during a heavy snowstorm, remembering that they almost got caught. After hearing Shane Birt’s account, the White County Sheriff’s Office immediately contacted WCSO (the Watagua County Sheriff’s Office).

“Davis was interviewed by WCSO investigators at the Georgia facility where he is serving a life sentence for crimes he committed in Georgia,” Hagaman stated. “During those interviews, Davis implicated Birt, Gaddis and Reed as engaging in a hired ‘hit’ in the North Carolina mountains, one where they almost got caught during a bad snowstorm. Davis claimed to have acted only as their getaway driver, and that it was the other three men that entered the house that night. It remains unclear who solicited the crime against the Durham family.”

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

I didn’t see it saying who hired them to do the hit on the family or why.

The police still don't know this. The family was murdered on a hit and I'd love to know who and why, but we probably never will unless this Davis guy talks some more. He may not even know.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, susieice said:

The police still don't know this. The family was murdered on a hit and I'd love to know who and why, but we probably never will unless this Davis guy talks some more. He may not even know.

Hi Susieice

He may be waiting to do a deathbed confession seeing as he is still in prison he may have some reservations about talking about who hired them given he is locked up with other criminals.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the updates, glad to see this one solved :tu: I think the notion of a hit like a gang or mafia kind of thing had been mused around a while back, but not too heavily mused upon. 

Though now it gives me some new musings about what else this Dixie Mafia might also be the culprits of in the area. Maybe some other cold cases. 

• Like 3

The only a problem  is the mother  Virginia that was killed  said it was three black men

The Dixie Mafia is a criminal organization composed mainly of white Southerners and based in Biloxi, Mississippi, operating primarily throughout the Southern United States since at least the 1970s. 

50-Year Durham Family Murder Mystery Solved (thewilkesrecord.com)

Edited by docyabut2

13 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

The only a problem  is the mother  Virginia that was killed  said it was three black men

Is that a problem or a solution?

Proof that Troy was lying about phone call? Did he hire the contract killers?

4 hours ago, asheonce said:

Is that a problem or a solution?

Proof that Troy was lying about phone call? Did he hire the contract killers?

Yeah, that could be a way to throw off the scent, say it was a black man when it was a white man doing it. But if he did contact/hire, why did he hire, and with what money?

• Like 2