Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mizzou lineman comes out

Rafterman

Sams was and All-American and SEC defensive player of the year and will probably be a mid-round pick for an NFL team.

Unlike the NBA player that came out last year, I don't think this was gimmick on the part of Sams. He had already come out to his teammates and coaches at Missouri and it's good that he made the public statement before it was leaked to the press during the run up to the NFL draft.

What I find most refreshing, however, is that most fans seem to be in the "who cares as long as he can play" camp on this.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10429030/michael-sam-missouri-tigers-says-gay

Michael Sam, an All-American defensive lineman from Missouri and the Associated Press' SEC Defensive Player of the Year, said that he is gay in an interview with ESPN's "Outside the Lines" on Sunday.

Sam stated publicly what his teammates and coaches at Mizzou have known since August: "I am an openly, proud gay man."

Sam is eligible for the NFL draft in May. Assuming that he is drafted, Sam could become the first openly gay player in the history of the NFL.

"I understand how big this is," he said. "It's a big deal. No one has done this before. And it's kind of a nervous process, but I know what I want to be ... I want to be a football player in the NFL."

• Like 2

Michael Sam - LB - Player

Eight NFL executives and coaches anticipate a "significant" draft-day plunge for Missouri OLB Michael Sam after revealing that he is homosexual.

The execs and coaches believe NFL locker rooms are "not prepared to deal with an openly gay player," and decision makers fear a "publicity circus" for the team that selects Sam. "At this point in time it's still a man's man game," said one player personnel assistant. "To call somebody a [gay slur] is still so commonplace." Rotoworld draft maven Josh Norris believes Sam has fourth- to seventh-round tape. "I just know with this going on this is going to drop him down," added one veteran scout. "There's no question about it. It's human nature. Do you want to be the team to quote-unquote 'break that barrier?'"

Michael Sam - LB - Player

Eight NFL executives and coaches anticipate a "significant" draft-day plunge for Missouri OLB Michael Sam after revealing that he is homosexual.

The execs and coaches believe NFL locker rooms are "not prepared to deal with an openly gay player," and decision makers fear a "publicity circus" for the team that selects Sam. "At this point in time it's still a man's man game," said one player personnel assistant. "To call somebody a [gay slur] is still so commonplace." Rotoworld draft maven Josh Norris believes Sam has fourth- to seventh-round tape. "I just know with this going on this is going to drop him down," added one veteran scout. "There's no question about it. It's human nature. Do you want to be the team to quote-unquote 'break that barrier?'"

The NFL offers a bit of a different take on it:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000324603/article/michael-sam-nfl-draft-prospect-announces-hes-gay

The NFL released a statement in support of Sam on Sunday night: "We admire Michael Sam's honesty and courage. Michael is a football player. Any player with ability and determination can succeed in the NFL. We look forward to welcoming and supporting Michael Sam in 2014."

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport received the following reaction from a club executive: "The league is ina better place to handle this now than a few years ago given the influx of younger GMs."

Rapoport also spoke to an NFL scouting director who does not believe Sam's revelation will hurt his draft status, and that Sam projects as a late-round pick. NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks agreed that Sam's draft status would not be affected, but Brooks projects Sam as a mid-round selection.

NFL Media's Aditi Kinkhabwala said another team's scouting director told her that he "knew for a while." When she asked if it had or would play in his evaluation, he emphatically said: "Not at all."

NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah, an ex-scout with the Cleveland Browns,Philadelphia Eagles and Baltimore Ravens, also believes Sam's draft stock will not be adversely affected.

"In my eight years in draft rooms, the subject never came up. I would expect it would not have an impact on his draft status," Jeremiah said. "In my experience with every team I was with, it was all about putting the best 53 players on the field. I don't see why that would change here."

And, frankly, I think there are a number of teams who would love to the be the one that "breaks the barrier". After all, it's not like there haven't been gay players in the NFL before.

The problem is not the kifd being gay or the league's attitude, it is the freakin' circus the media, especially ESPN, make out of it. Greenberg almost wet his panties this morning on Mike & Mike and it got so bad I had to turn it off (hell, it is always bad but getting worse as of late). I thiink that most people don't care if the kid is gay, they just want a good player for their team but they do care about the neverending BS that goes along with these announcements. I don't think the players care all that much but having 100 different reporters ask you how it is working with the gay rookie would drive anyone nuts. Shaddup and let the kid play.

• Like 3

So i guess just going to work without screaming to the media about your sexual preference doesnt work anymore.

Would he not have been a Gay player in the NFL even if he didnt go to the media and scream look at me?

So tired of hearing about peoples sexual preferences, just do your job and do whatever or whomever you damn well please in your private life.

• Like 3

So i guess just going to work without screaming to the media about your sexual preference doesnt work anymore.

Would he not have been a Gay player in the NFL even if he didnt go to the media and scream look at me?

So tired of hearing about peoples sexual preferences, just do your job and do whatever or whomever you damn well please in your private life.

Professional football is a different situation. Most coaches and GM's know their teams, and know what their locker room can and cannot handle. This will ensure that he gets drafted by a team that best fits his situation. Is that a hard concept to understand?

Professional football is a different situation. Most coaches and GM's know their teams, and know what their locker room can and cannot handle. This will ensure that he gets drafted by a team that best fits his situation. Is that a hard concept to understand?

He has a 'situation'?

We have gay kids killing themselves because of bullying etc. Tons of people equate gay with sissy, girly, weak etc.

A positive, strong, athletic, masculine role model that is gay might help. Well, enough of them might help eventually.

I have no idea how big this supposed "media circus" was since I don't watch sports news. It's hardly shaking the foundations of the NFL or the world though I'm sure.

Seems like a wise move on the part of his agent.

Now teams that do NOT draft him run the risk of being labelled 'anti-gay'.

I'm not against this fellow being gay in any way, shape, or form. I just wonder how much of it is to take a stand, and how much of it is a calculated move?

• Like 1

I'm not against this fellow being gay in any way, shape, or form. I just wonder how much of it is to take a stand, and how much of it is a calculated move?

coming out among sportspeople is very much a trend lately and happening all over the world.

He is a projected 4th or 5th round pick. That means he will get passed over by every team in the NFL for a total of 130+ times. I don't think you can really label a team anti-gay for that. I don't see how this could have been any sort of calculated move...

Calculated move? I don't know. I did hear his reasons for an announcement. My initial reaction was similar to that of Captain Amerika above and generally still is but... This kid said it's been no real secret about who he is for some time now between friends and teammates but it came to his attention that far more people knew about his preference than he ever realized and since he knows that he's an NFL hopeful he thought it best to just come out with it rather than get to the big leagues and have it come out in typical tabloid bombshell fashion thereby creating an even bigger spectacle.

So I agree with his choice if that's the truth. The media will continue being scummy but so long as he doesn't take a 'look at me, woe is me, victimhood activist' type posture and does everything he can to leave it in an it is what it is attitude and is there with a goal to play the game rather than break boundaries I got no problems. Also, I hope he's humble enough to be able to handle some of the mean stuff that'll be flung his way on the field and in the locker room. Macho, bravado and homophobia is the nature of the beasts he'll be working with. He shouldn't be bullied but he will have to just deal with some negative things. Just the way it is.

Edited by F3SS

He is a projected 4th or 5th round pick. That means he will get passed over by every team in the NFL for a total of 130+ times. I don't think you can really label a team anti-gay for that. I don't see how this could have been any sort of calculated move...

It gets his name out there. Would you have known his name before hand?

It makes teams look at him, increasing his draft prospect. Being taken higher in the draft can equate to serious money.

Players (and agents) will look for any edge they can get, and rightfully so. I don't see how this is not a possibility.

Right before the draft season? Why not make this statement back in November?

Again, let me clarify this. I've absolutely no problem with his sexuality. I have no problem with him making this announcement. I hope it helps his cause.

Edited by supervike

It gets his name out there. Would you have known his name before hand?

It makes teams look at him, increasing his draft prospect. Being taken higher in the draft can equate to serious money.

Players (and agents) will look for any edge they can get, and rightfully so. I don't see how this is not a possibility.

Right before the draft season? Why not make this statement back in November?

Again, let me clarify this. I've absolutely no problem with his sexuality. I have no problem with him making this announcement. I hope it helps his cause.

Well, he was co-defensive player of the year in the most powerful college football conference (SEC) in the nation..so yes, I did know his name beforehand.

Breaking news from Dumfukistan: "I'm an openly gay proud man"--NFL Prospect Michael Sam

Who gives a damn who you screw or who screws you!

• Like 3

The problem is not the kifd being gay or the league's attitude, it is the freakin' circus the media, especially ESPN, make out of it. Greenberg almost wet his panties this morning on Mike & Mike and it got so bad I had to turn it off (hell, it is always bad but getting worse as of late). I thiink that most people don't care if the kid is gay, they just want a good player for their team but they do care about the neverending BS that goes along with these announcements. I don't think the players care all that much but having 100 different reporters ask you how it is working with the gay rookie would drive anyone nuts. Shaddup and let the kid play.

I agree. Not dissimilar to how ESPN and sports media in general responded to Tim Tebow.

Did he actually do that? I'm of the opinion that he didn't.

He simply publicly stated something that was going to come out anyway (his team and coaches even knew he was dating a fellow athlete at Mizzou). It's not like the washed up guy in the NBA last year who did it simply to guarantee he continued playing.

So.... how many death threats have American "Christians" sent him today?

Have the Phelps *spit* set up a protest outside his house or the stadium where he trains yet?

Well, he was co-defensive player of the year in the most powerful college football conference (SEC) in the nation..so yes, I did know his name beforehand.

Yeah, I guess I knew who he was as well, as my In-laws are Mizzou fans.

But, now he's a national name. People who know nothing about football have now heard his name. Still smacks of a calculated Agent induced move to me.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the man. Just my opinion on the timing of the announcement.

• Like 1

Yeah, I guess I knew who he was as well, as my In-laws are Mizzou fans.

But, now he's a national name. People who know nothing about football have now heard his name. Still smacks of a calculated Agent induced move to me.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the man. Just my opinion on the timing of the announcement.

I am starting to lean your way on this topic. His stated reason for coming out was that his teammates knew and NFL reps were starting to come around teh schoool and he didn''t want it to look like he was keeping a secret from them so he had this big televised announcement.. Couldn't he have just let the reps know, through the coaching staff, that he is gay and is very open about it but that he doesn't want to make a big deal of it? If it leaks out, it leaks out and no one in teh biz is surprised or is caught trying to cover it u. NFL coach, "Yes, he is gay and we all know he is gay and we don't care so why are you making such a deal of it ESPN?"

I am starting to lean your way on this topic. His stated reason for coming out was that his teammates knew and NFL reps were starting to come around teh schoool and he didn''t want it to look like he was keeping a secret from them so he had this big televised announcement.. Couldn't he have just let the reps know, through the coaching staff, that he is gay and is very open about it but that he doesn't want to make a big deal of it? If it leaks out, it leaks out and no one in teh biz is surprised or is caught trying to cover it u. NFL coach, "Yes, he is gay and we all know he is gay and we don't care so why are you making such a deal of it ESPN?"

I think that is what he was trying to prevent though. He wanted to come out on his terms, not on the tabloids terms.