Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

More Americans are throwing in the towel...

Arkitecht

This is the second time i have read an article like this.I guess they just figure if they tell you the same thing over and over again,eventually you start to believe the lie.Link:

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/more-americans-are-throwing-in-the-towel-and-that-s-a-good-thing-141840433.html

Many economists see a higher quit rate as a positive economic indicator. Moving around is also a great way to stimulate wage growth.

Although the quit rate is improving, the percentage of Americans who resigned was higher before the recession.

“This is reflective of the job market in general," says The Daily Ticker's Lauren Lyster. "Yes we’re seeing slow and steady improvement but we’re still a long way from where we want to be."

...Wow.The quit rate is improving.... How nice.

Once you figure out those who are quitting because due to ACA they can, the number will not look as good.

• Like 1

There are a lot of percentage values in the report but I´m missing the main information, means

were did the "quitters" go.

"Many economists see a higher quit rate as a positive economic indicator. Moving around is also

a great way to stimulate wage growth".

"Many" represents nothing, even not the majority.

Edited by toast

The way it is portrayed is like telling a terminal cancer patient;Good news!The cancer has spread and it now looks as though you won't have long to wait!Congrats!

• Like 3

Many economists see a higher quit rate as a positive economic indicator.

and even more americans now see that, their ecomomists are smoking some heavy sht.

• Like 1

Almost anything can be spun around to look positive with the right wording.

The fact that a lot these people left from jobs that they'd had for 5 years means more to me then the payrate of those jobs. Also what is not said... Not many jobs created, so apparently there are Unemployed who moved into those existing jobs, probably at less pay. Which could be spun as positive also, since corporations will make more profits using lower pay employees.

• Like 2

Almost anything can be spun around to look positive with the right wording.

The fact that a lot these people left from jobs that they'd had for 5 years means more to me then the payrate of those jobs. Also what is not said... Not many jobs created, so apparently there are Unemployed who moved into those existing jobs, probably at less pay. Which could be spun as positive also, since corporations will make more profits using lower pay employees.

Exactly.And that is a common practice for all thing's that someone year's ago would look at you and say,"You are crazy!"Now it just gets reset in the term of what the new "normal" is.Why anyone would question something so obviously wrong means you just dont get it.But then conditioning does take time...
  • Like 1

It is amusing to me that historically recessions recovered on their own Much More Quickly then this most recent one. And when confronted with this those that defend current policy makers say that the entire situation is different now and the past can't be used to judge the present. I think I have heard that one before, and it is almost always wrong.

A drawn out recession is the direct result of failing economic policy.

• Like 1

Oh there will be no recovery.They know it.They want to keep blowing smoke for as long as the people will take it.And if you have a career,you will not see what is going on until it affects you.They have no plan in place,and the whole world will be feeling the ripple effect of the economic collapse that is in the near future.But for all the people who have money and are not worried,you should be.It's going to be a harsh reality for those lost in the illusion. After all,it is hard to go from filet Mignon and fine wine to hot dogs and kool-aid....LOL

I'm not sure I get the sentiment of why this a bad thing, since it states this in the article.

Some workers retired while others left for better opportunities elsewhere.

Seems like the norm to me and that the economy is starting to pick up a little. Baby Boomers are going to retire, you know.

It is amusing to me that historically recessions recovered on their own Much More Quickly then this most recent one.

It wouldn't be because this one is Much More Larger than any previous historical recession, now would it?

IF there is evidence they're ditching their jobs they were working solely to have life insurance and going to jobs they want, then yes it's a good thing.

If they're throwing in the towel because their employer is driving them out so they dont have to pay a severance package, then no, not a good thing.

• Like 1

It wouldn't be because this one is Much More Larger than any previous historical recession, now would it?

Nope. That is an excuse.

Oh there will be no recovery.They know it.They want to keep blowing smoke for as long as the people will take it.And if you have a career,you will not see what is going on until it affects you.They have no plan in place,and the whole world will be feeling the ripple effect of the economic collapse that is in the near future.But for all the people who have money and are not worried,you should be.It's going to be a harsh reality for those lost in the illusion. After all,it is hard to go from filet Mignon and fine wine to hot dogs and kool-aid....LOL

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/oct/25/us-economy-on-schedule-to-crash-march-2014/?page=1#ixzz2sxIbGQyN

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/oct/25/us-economy-on-schedule-to-crash-march-2014/?page=1#ixzz2sxIbGQyN

Once you figure out those who are quitting because due to ACA they can, the number will not look as good.

Then we have those who have given up looking for job period. That number is around ten percent, have to add that to the unemployment rate.

Then we have those who have given up looking for job period. That number is around ten percent, have to add that to the unemployment rate.

That's because a majority of those are Baby Boomers who've reached or are close to retirement age, Daniel.

http://jobs.aol.com/...ent-unemployed/

screenshotedited.jpg

Edit: Lol. Then again, there are some guys like this who think they've made enough money to retire for a while; and maybe that's enough in his case...who knows. (This was in the comments section below the article, BTW. )

Rhianon

I am 50 and I'm not working anymore unless I get bored and choose to go back to work. I have stuck back almost $200,000.00 all these years. While everyone is out blowing & going, I was working, saving & investing. Everything I have is paid for and no credit card debt. If I can do it single in a man's world, then I don't feel sorry for any of you who are unemployed, homeless & broke. God gave you a brain. Use it.

Edited by Purifier

A lot of that is age discrimination -- illegal but widely practiced. They use the term "overqualified" to get away with it.

• Like 1

A lot of that is age discrimination -- illegal but widely practiced. They use the term "overqualified" to get away with it.

I wouldn't doubt that, Frank. But then again, I heard the same thing was going on with the young workers looking for jobs, because the employers think all the young workers have a self-entitlement mentality.

Edit: typos

Edited by Purifier
  • Like 1

Young people can be maneuvered into working their butts off long hours and weekends with the idea that in the end they are rewarded with promotions and so on. A few are but they get the promotions generally more for general competence rather than how hard they work. Older workers have figured it out and are harder to manipulate.

Also, of course, older workers can be more expensive in health care and time off and so on. The fact that they are in fact overqualified should be a reason to hire them, but the thought tends to be that as soon as a better job comes along they will take it.

• Like 3

Young people can be maneuvered into working their butts off long hours and weekends with the idea that in the end they are rewarded with promotions and so on. A few are but they get the promotions generally more for general competence rather than how hard they work. Older workers have figured it out and are harder to manipulate.

Also, of course, older workers can be more expensive in health care and time off and so on. The fact that they are in fact overqualified should be a reason to hire them, but the thought tends to be that as soon as a better job comes along they will take it.

Not to mention the pay for experience, concerning the older worker. Not too many employers want to start somebody out at a higher pay based on the worker's experience. But with young hires, employers can usually start them out at a lower pay and a lot of times keep paying them a low wage. But then again, it depends on what type of experience the older worker has and whether or not it pertains to the job their looking to get. If the older worker doesn't have the right experience, then a employer may also see a chance to start the older worker at a lower pay. Either way, what I really think it comes down to...it's all about the Benjamins. Cheap labor = profits, too.

Edited by Purifier
  • Like 2

One thing that came to my mind reading that was that "experience" can be a detriment if the guy is, shall we say, "stuck in his ways." Each company has its ways of doing things, and the last thing an employer wants is some one saying things like, "Well, over at my last job we did it differently."

• Like 1

no, now they don't need a job anymore to to get health insurance and retire with 60.

I have to say I think the trap many Americans are in that they have to work to keep health insurance is a creation of their own, and especially the labor unions' making, combined with the powerful trial attorneys. They have created a situation where normal people cannot afford to get sick. To be without insurance and to have a preemie or liver disease or a serious burn is to be thrown away.