Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NOAA claims Bermuda Triangle is just a myth

UM-Bot

The agency has played down reports of mysterious disappearances in the region over the years.

Covering a wide area between Miami, Puerto Rico and the island of Bermuda, the triangle has been the subject of stories and myths for years. The mysterious disappearances of ships and planes within its boundaries have been blamed on everything from extraterrestrial intervention to giant whirlpools, yet despite extensive search-and-rescue operations no conclusive explanation for these losses has ever been found.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/262201/noaa-claims-bermuda-triangle-is-just-a-myth

• Like 2

There are almost as many stories about the Sargasso Sea as the Bermuda Triangle. And the Sargasso Sea is right next to the Triangle.

• Like 2

I wish our CID would investigate the continuing, mysterious disappearances of my Dairylea cheese triangles! It's no myth!

• Like 4

I wish our CID would investigate the continuing, mysterious disappearances of my Dairylea cheese triangles! It's no myth!

Know what your saying,when I put laundry in our dryer socks disappear on a regular basis.It's a complete mystery..

• Like 7

With all the reports of missing planes and ships, one would assume that a graveyard must lye around the place somewhere...so where could it be?

Downplayed, or "clarified rumours"?

The only thing we have had to downplay all along was imagination wasn't it?

People surely do not really still hang onto such silly superstitions do they? Then again, people still look for Plato's allegory as if the genuine item too. I wonder what people get out of making stuff up, pretending it is real, and then going out and preaching that imagination? Seems really weird to me, and the biggest Unexplained Mystery I have ever seen.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 3

Lloyd's of London agrees and charges no more to insure a cargo traversing this area than they do anywhere else. The weather can bite you if you are foolhardy and the distances over open water leave little room for mistakes when flying but the silliness about aliens and time travel through thunderstorms (see Bruce Gernon) are bunk. I have flown through the area many times and never saw anything out of the ordinary but it was amazing how quickly storms could pop-up and visibility deteriorate. We had powerful air search radars so could avoid embedded thunderstorms but i can see how arrogant and foolish pilots (see Bruce Gernon) could get themselves in dire straits rather quickly. Notice how airliners and modern military with radars never seem to have a problem is this area?

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 4

Downplayed, or "clarified rumours"?

The only thing we have had to downplay all along was imagination wasn't it?

People surely do not really still hang onto such silly superstitions do they? Then again, people still look for Plato's allegory as if the genuine item too. I wonder what people get out of making stuff up, pretending it is real, and then going out and preaching that imagination? Seems really weird to me, and the biggest Unexplained Mystery I have ever seen.

same thing with the allegory called the Bible....

• Like 1

I am not atheist or religious just to clarify before I start getting pm's.

same thing with the allegory called the Bible....

That's not making me feel any better tho.....................

That's not making me feel any better tho.....................

Lol I suppose not. At least we can find the Bermuda triangle. It does exist as far as three points on a map defining a specific area. Have planes gone down? Sure. Ships? Sure. So technically we have defined an area with absolute occurrence. Its everything else that's the problem. All the fabled reasons for the disappearances. Everything that's been left to speculate will allow ever possible speculation. So at least we don't have to concern ourselves with people believing the Bermuda triangle exists. It does as much as 12:00 on a clock truly exists.... because we define it so. And we can never control what wild speculation people will have so rest assured the existence should not worry you anymore. Though peoples speculations? Now that's scary... lmao

Note: I just realized I just reiterated essentially what you just said above. In that case. You will find no solace. People are nuts and need something bigger than themselves to believe in. For some its the only thing that keeps them alive and still smiling. Cause they themselves are in the know.

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Let's go explore it with the best technology possible and record the exploration with a live feed so if something happens we can see it with our own eyes...

It's unlikely that a better explored underwater region exists. The East coast is the playground of the US Navy and Submarine Fleet. That's also where most universities send their students for on-board training. It is the most frequently traveled region near the contiguous United States, with quite literally thousands of ships and planes traversing every day. In fact, considering the amount of traffic in the region, we should statistically expect more accidents, but because of the traffic, this area is monitored more highly than most others.

I worked in this area for two years on board an ocean-going tug. Saw storms, sandbars, subs, fish who didn't understand the concept of swimming, and rain coming down, going sideways, and in one particularly bad day, go upwards. Didn't see anything that was particularly inexplicable, though.

• Like 2

Lol I suppose not. At least we can find the Bermuda triangle. It does exist as far as three points on a map defining a specific area. Have planes gone down? Sure. Ships? Sure. So technically we have defined an area with absolute occurrence. Its everything else that's the problem. All the fabled reasons for the disappearances. Everything that's been left to speculate will allow ever possible speculation. So at least we don't have to concern ourselves with people believing the Bermuda triangle exists. It does as much as 12:00 on a clock truly exists.... because we define it so. And we can never control what wild speculation people will have so rest assured the existence should not worry you anymore. Though peoples speculations? Now that's scary... lmao

Note: I just realized I just reiterated essentially what you just said above. In that case. You will find no solace. People are nuts and need something bigger than themselves to believe in. For some its the only thing that keeps them alive and still smiling. Cause they themselves are in the know.

You have to wonder how many are genuine though, when Flight 19 is finally found, I have little doubt it will be well outside that area, and as far as I know, you only have to be somewhat near the area to be classified as in it, but most of the earlier wreckages were due to coral reefs rather than any mysterious happenings weren't they?

With all the reports of missing planes and ships, one would assume that a graveyard must lye around the place somewhere...so where could it be?

Across all the oceans of the world.

Seriously, ships and planes go missing in places other than the Bermuda Triangle.

My great-grandfather described in his memoirs nearly coming a cropper while commanding a sailing ship off the coast of South Africa in the 1880s. A squall struck so suddenly that his ship was blown over on its side. It was within minutes of sinking when a sudden wind change blew the ship back upright. He later mused that squalls like that could easily have accounted for many other ships, particularly at a time before radios or much in the way of safety equipment.

• Like 3

Across all the oceans of the world.

Seriously, ships and planes go missing in places other than the Bermuda Triangle.

My great-grandfather described in his memoirs nearly coming a cropper while commanding a sailing ship off the coast of South Africa in the 1880s. A squall struck so suddenly that his ship was blown over on its side. It was within minutes of sinking when a sudden wind change blew the ship back upright. He later mused that squalls like that could easily have accounted for many other ships, particularly at a time before radios or much in the way of safety equipment.

That's just a great story. Thanks for sharing

• Like 1

All the off hand replies - it's all rubbish.

If it was just planes disappearing, or just ships, or even just disappearances over the last 100 years. But for such a widely travelled area there are a lot of disappearances that have not been satisfactorily explained. There aren't that many drunk skippers, poorly maintained planes, unexpected storms, unseaworthy boats, bad compasses to explain everything that's happened there. And in case you're wondering, I have been a passenger on a boat that sailed through there. No, I didn't see any twilight tunnels or vortices or sea monsters or anything else interesting.

But.

The blanket it's all BS doesn't work for me.

All the off hand replies - it's all rubbish.

That's a rather blanket statement.

If it was just planes disappearing, or just ships, or even just disappearances over the last 100 years. But for such a widely travelled area there are a lot of disappearances that have not been satisfactorily explained.

Really?

How many? Ballpark figure is fine.

There aren't that many drunk skippers, poorly maintained planes, unexpected storms, unseaworthy boats, bad compasses to explain everything that's happened there.

Sure there are.

It's just that there isn't a whole lot happening there out of the ordinary.

And in case you're wondering, I have been a passenger on a boat that sailed through there. No, I didn't see any twilight tunnels or vortices or sea monsters or anything else interesting.

Like the many thousands upon thousands of people going through there ever week.

But. The blanket it's all BS doesn't work for me.

It's not much of a blanket. We simply claim that area is little different than any other patch of water. In fact, insurance rates are higher for vessels that work in the Great Lakes. Why? Because in the Great Lakes, there are more rapid storms, disappearing ships, and unusual occurrences than in the Bermuda Triangle. Based on simple reports (vs reports popular in pop culture), it is the Great Lakes that we should be giving a speculative glance to.

• Like 2

LLoyds of London agrees with you.

Exactly, it's not that just the 'Bermuda triangle' area is dangerous...lots of bodies of water are dangerous.

• Like 1

Shipping on the Great Lakes is known to be very dangerous (I used to live in upstate NY).

Example: http://en.wikipedia....mund_Fitzgerald

I have a feeling that anytime ships or planes go over isolated turbulent areas of the ocean (or big lakes) it's just plain risky.

Couldn't agree more,the Storms here on the great lakes often come out of no where especially in the winter.A combination of Warmer waters and cold Artic air generate some very nasty squalls, and this is in no way paranormal as is the situation in the area known as the Bermuda Triangle.

• Like 1

Let's go explore it with the best technology possible and record the exploration with a live feed so if something happens we can see it with our own eyes...

Not possible because all humans who try to monitor the BT by eyes are immediately absorbed by the electric fog and

transfered through a left-hand traffic wormhole to Mrkkx1454alpha (just a couple of blocks away from NGC 5189) for

punishment (mostly butt spanking). :yes:

• Like 2

Hint: It's a locker.