Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Intelligent Alien Life found by 2040

Merc14

I think with Kepler's discovery that habitable planets are far more numerous than theorized, the SETI folks are getting a second wind. Honestly, I am on board but not optimistic we will find intelligent life by 2040.

I agree, yet something habitable might be so far away that we have to wait a lifetime just for a phone call. It's just a goal, if we don't get there, we can set another goal, but it will be more accurate than this one. Baby Steps are good with a project like this, you learn a great deal along the way. No harm in trying I reckon. The title says:

Could Be Found by 2040

Anyway, which seems OK to me?

Why?

He's a spammer. reported

Maybe we already got one with the WOW! Signal though?

Yeah, the WOW signal is still the biggest question mark in this discipline but it seems not to be common known meanwhile.

BTW, good old NEW HORIZON probe is en route to constellation Sagittarius, the direction of the origin of the

WOW signal. 6EQUJ5 rules!

PS:

Ripley : "Ash, that transmission... Mother's deciphered part of it. It doesn't look like an S.O.S."

Ash : "What is it, then?"

Ripley : "Well, I... it looks like a warning. I'm gonna go out after them."

Ash : "What's the point? I mean by the, the time it takes to get there, you'll... they'll know if it's a warning or not, yes?"

Edited by toast
  • Like 1

He's a spammer. reported

Did the same

• Like 1

Personally I think that there can be many civilizations out there, but also many without any type of technological advancement, and yet they would be far more advanced and intelligent than us, simply because they live in peace and are prospering. We are not alone that is for sure, but I doubt that we will ever be able to pick up alien signals , because the chance is huge that they won't use similar or any technology

• Like 1

I think with Kepler's discovery that habitable planets are far more numerous than theorized, the SETI folks are getting a second wind.

Habitable planets? You mean like Venus?

If you do not buy a ticket, you don't even have a one in a billion chance. Not costing as much as most programs, could be worse. Like spending decades and billions on idiotic notions like remote viewing.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be looking. If you look you may not find, if you don't look you can never find. I am simply saying that I find it doubtful that they will be the ones to find ET.

The BMEWS can attain 200 Light Years. As Scowl said, Interstellar TV is a Sci Fi concept, not what these guys deal in.

Interesting info on the BMEWS, I'll have to research that. And I realize Interstellar TV is a Sci Fi concept. I was just stating that many people still think of that when talking about SETI and ET transmissions. In reality it is much more difficult than that.

Maybe we already got one with the WOW! Signal though?

Shouldn't the signal of repeated or been a constant transmission? Seems peculiar for them to stop so abruptly. We send out a constant flow. And if we were actually trying to make contact we would send a long pulse so that anyone on the other end wouldn't just get a spike and then silence.

I agree completely, however, could the two technologies assist each other?

Of course they could. Finding a planet that we believe can/does have life would probably need to come first though. Then we can monitor it, and possibly send our own signal in hopes of a response.

• Like 1

Um, it might be a terrestrial planet. It might be in a good distance from its star. It might have water. It might be habitable.

Or it might be a boiling cauldron with a deadly atmosphere like Venus. Or it might not have any atmosphere at all. Or it might be a frozen rock.

All we have are theories. All we know is that planets are orbiting other stars.

Shouldn't the signal have repeated or been a constant transmission? Seems peculiar for them to stop so abruptly. We send out a constant flow. And if we were actually trying to make contact we would send a long pulse so that anyone on the other end wouldn't just get a spike and then silence.

Don't the laws of statistics state that it's likely that you'll get a random signal like this if you look long enough?

Um, it might be a terrestrial planet. It might be in a good distance from its star. It might have water. It might be habitable.

Or it might be a boiling cauldron with a deadly atmosphere like Venus. Or it might not have any atmosphere at all. Or it might be a frozen rock.

All we have are theories. All we know is that planets are orbiting other stars.

Based on Kepler's and other observatories findings, scientists now think there are billions of habitable planets in the Miky Way. That doesn't mean that those planets contain life but it sure does up the odds that some or many will have living organisms on them. Scientists have also found massive gas giants, boiling cauldrons and many other types of planets. Here is one of many articles on the science Kepler has done:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/kepler-space-telescope-finds-earth-size-potentially-habitable-planets-are-common/2013/11/04/49d782b4-4555-11e3-bf0c-cebf37c6f484_story.html

There are lot's or ways to look at all the exoplanets found so far, like here:

http://planetquest.jpl.nasa.gov/newworldsatlas

BTW, Kepler is designed to determine if a planet is in the habiitable zone and if it is a boiling cauldron or a freezing ice ball.

Let's find some intelligent life on Earth first, then worry about the rest of universe.

:)

You have either been watching too much daytime television or else reading the sort of newspapers whose headlines are monosyllabic and whose pages are liberally strewn with partially clad young ladies.

Just look at the pictures!

Yeah, the WOW signal is still the biggest question mark in this discipline but it seems not to be common known meanwhile.

BTW, good old NEW HORIZON probe is en route to constellation Sagittarius, the direction of the origin of the

WOW signal. 6EQUJ5 rules!

PS:

Ripley : "Ash, that transmission... Mother's deciphered part of it. It doesn't look like an S.O.S."

Ash : "What is it, then?"

Ripley : "Well, I... it looks like a warning. I'm gonna go out after them."

Ash : "What's the point? I mean by the, the time it takes to get there, you'll... they'll know if it's a warning or not, yes?"

I am holding out hope for first contact ti go a bit more like this:

vina-as-orion-slave-girl.jpg

I reckon if we are going to dream, dream big :D

• Like 2

I'm not saying they shouldn't be looking. If you look you may not find, if you don't look you can never find. I am simply saying that I find it doubtful that they will be the ones to find ET.

I'm not so sure, the convergence of technologies seems hopeful to me, as mentioned, with the assistance of projects like Kepler they can narrow down options.

Interesting info on the BMEWS, I'll have to research that. And I realize Interstellar TV is a Sci Fi concept. I was just stating that many people still think of that when talking about SETI and ET transmissions. In reality it is much more difficult than that.

It is very interesting stuff I agree, Badeskov put me onto that.

Shouldn't the signal of repeated or been a constant transmission? Seems peculiar for them to stop so abruptly. We send out a constant flow. And if we were actually trying to make contact we would send a long pulse so that anyone on the other end wouldn't just get a spike and then silence.

Unless it was a sweeping signal, it may have been more and we only caught the end of it, to me it seems the most plausible ET item we have.

Of course they could. Finding a planet that we believe can/does have life would probably need to come first though. Then we can monitor it, and possibly send our own signal in hopes of a response.

Indeed, working together I think the project has promise. If we meet ET, I honestly feel it will be over the phone, not in person. It just makes sense in every way to attempt to go this way first.

Based on Kepler's and other observatories findings, scientists now think there are billions of habitable planets in the Miky Way.

Based on nothing more that the calculated size of the planet and its average distance from its star. Nothing more!

BTW, Kepler is designed to determine if a planet is in the habiitable zone and if it is a boiling cauldron or a freezing ice ball.

The goes under the completely false assumption that each and every planet will have a habitable atmosphere. You only need to look at Venus to see how flawed that reasoning is. In this so-called "habitable zone" an atmosphere or lack of one can make a planet 500C or -200C.

• Like 1

Based on nothing more that the calculated size of the planet and its average distance from its star. Nothing more!

You forgot the size and type of star all combined will make the "habitable zone" as defined by earth standards. Not suyre what there is to debate here, if you have a sun like star and a rocky planet ate the same distance from it as earth it has a decent chance of being earth like. It has zero chance of being Mercury like (not hot enough) and zero chance of being Jupiter like (not cold enough), right?

The goes under the completely false assumption that each and every planet will have a habitable atmosphere.

I never said that in any of my posts and neither did anyone I referenced, That would be a completely absurd assertion and would be very easily proved false. Dod you even have a clue what the habitable zomne or "goldiliocks zone" is? I'll be nice and explain that is an orbital region aropund a start where a planet of sufficient size could hold an atmosphere that could support liquid water on the surface. Not exact but close enough. No where does it say that a planet will have an atmosphere or liquid water, just that ity could actually support it. Capiche?

You only need to look at Venus to see how flawed that reasoning is. In this so-called "habitable zone" an atmosphere or lack of one can make a planet 500C or -200C.

Venus and Mars are both within the hypothetical habitable zone of Sol and both have failed to be habitable by humans for very different reasons. I think that you misinterpreting what I am saying here and have a very poor understanding of probability and the numbers we are talking about. If that is the case, I'll be glad to explain to the best of my ability and I am sure the really knowledgable on teh subject will chime in and educate us both. If you just want a fight then have at it, I have no problem with embarrassing you.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

I am holding out hope for first contact ti go a bit more like this:

vina-as-orion-slave-girl.jpg

I reckon if we are going to dream, dream big :D

Well I hear ya psyche101 ! But could we pull back the Intelligent life Find about 38 years ? It fits my time line much better ! :tu:

• Like 1

Well I hear ya psyche101 ! But could we pull back the Intelligent life Find about 38 years ? It fits my time line much better ! :tu:

Mate, fire up Sally and pick me up on the way, I am good to go :D

You have to come back past here to get to Orion don't you?

You forgot the size and type of star all combined will make the "habitable zone" as defined by earth standards.

The "habitable zone" is a misleading term that exobiologists have come up with since we know of two planets in this zone that aren't habitable. It should be "potentially habitable zone".

Not suyre what there is to debate here, if you have a sun like star and a rocky planet ate the same distance from it as earth it has a decent chance of being earth like.

Decent chance? By what criteria are you judging this? You're ignoring just how many complex systems are working constantly to keep Earth "Earth like". It's not just a matter of sticking a rocky planet a certain distance from its sun.

I never said that in any of my posts and neither did anyone I referenced, That would be a completely absurd assertion and would be very easily proved false. Dod you even have a clue what the habitable zomne or "goldiliocks zone" is?

Yet you claim they have a "decent chance" of having an Earth like atmosphere which is also a completely absurd assertion since we have absolutely no other information on these planets. The information we have about Earth is that it took a series of specific geological events to create the pleasant planet we live on. If one or more of these events hadn't have happened, Earth would be a much different planet. We don't even completely understand all of them yet so it's wildly optimistic to assume that other planets would experience the same series of events to produce a similar planet.

And how would this be "very easily proved false?" Do we now have the ability to determine the atmospheres of these planets?

Venus and Mars are both within the hypothetical habitable zone of Sol and both have failed to be habitable by humans for very different reasons. I think that you misinterpreting what I am saying here and have a very poor understanding of probability and the numbers we are talking about.

One thing I learned about statistics is that you need data for them to work. The only data we have is from our solar system.

The other thing I learned about statistics is that small sample sizes can lead to false conclusions. A sample size of three is a bit small to extrapolate the nature of all the planets in the galaxy. Do you really think that every solar system that has a planet in the so-called "habitable zone" will have an Earth-like planet?

If that is the case, I'll be glad to explain to the best of my ability and I am sure the really knowledgable on teh subject will chime in and educate us both. If you just want a fight then have at it, I have no problem with embarrassing you.

Fight? We are you talking about?

Clarification on research for potential habitable planets:

November 4, 2013

candidate-sizes-histo_2013-wide_0_zps319b4a6b.jpg

From the first three years of Kepler data, more than 3,500 potential worlds have emerged. Since the last

update in January (2013), the number of planet candidates identified by Kepler increased by 29 percent and now totals

3,538. The largest increase of 78 percent was found in the Earth-sized category.

Image Credit: NASA

http://www.nasa.gov/...a-of-astronomy/

Edited by toast
  • Like 1

Bold Prediction: Intelligent Alien Life Could Be Found by 2040

By Mike Wall, Senior Writer | February 10, 2014 07:14am ET

PALO ALTO, Calif. — The first detection of intelligent extraterrestrial life will likely come within the next quarter-century, a prominent alien hunter predicts.

By 2040 or so, astronomers will have scanned enough star systems to give themselves a great shot of discovering alien-produced electromagnetic signals, said Seth Shostak of the SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) Institute in Mountain View, Calif.

"I think we'll find E.T. within two dozen years using these sorts of experiments," Shostak said here Thursday (Feb. 6) during a talk at the 2014 NASA Innovative Advanced Concepts (NIAC) symposium

Story continues here http://www.space.com...ction-2040.html

I'll one up him. I say we find proof of intelligent extraterrestrial life before the death of the universe.

See what I did there?

• Like 1

The "habitable zone" is a misleading term that exobiologists have come up with since we know of two planets in this zone that aren't habitable. It should be "potentially habitable zone".

Seems to me that you might be confusing habitable with inhabited?

Weekender: Is Our Limited Understanding Preventing Us From Recognizing Alien Life Forms?

Friday, February 7, 2014

desertvarnish.jpg

The search for extraterrestrial life has been an ongoing quest for decades, but finding alien life relies on our ability to recognize it.

Is there any guarantee that other life forms would manifest in a form that we would immediately be able to identify? Are we wrong to assume that all life must be derived from the same chemical elements, or require the same environmental factors?

http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/weekender-our-limited-understanding-preventing-us-recognising-alien-life-forms