Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Priceless bronze statue of Apollo found

seeder

'Priceless' bronze statue of Greek god Apollo found in Gaza Strip

• Hamas officials seize statue after it appears on eBay

• Doubt cast on fisherman's claim to have found item in sea

Lost for centuries, a rare bronze statue of the Greek god Apollo has mysteriously resurfaced in the Gaza Strip, only to be seized by police and vanish almost immediately from view.

Word of the remarkable find has caught the imagination of the world of archaeology, but the police cannot say when the life-sized bronze might re-emerge or where it might be put on display.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/feb/10/priceless-bronze-statue-apollo-gaza-strip

• Like 2

I think Muslims are supposed to destroy idols?

I am surprised it's still intact.

Oh! It was a gift from God.

I see.

• Like 1

MAKE sure the talibans do not get hold of the "priceless" bronze statue of the greek god Apollo.....

I wonder what the poor fisherman will receive from the sale?

• Like 2

Sad that they cut off a couple finger. Hopefully they can fix that damage and get this on display as well as do a proper examination of it. I also think that it was probably found in land. It doesn't show much wear for being in the water. My guess is that some looters might have dumped it in the shallow water recently and wanted to come back and get it. This guy beat them to it. At least that's the story I'm sticking with.

• Like 1

Sad that they cut off a couple finger. Hopefully they can fix that damage and get this on display as well as do a proper examination of it. I also think that it was probably found in land. It doesn't show much wear for being in the water. My guess is that some looters might have dumped it in the shallow water recently and wanted to come back and get it. This guy beat them to it. At least that's the story I'm sticking with.

Possibly, but it's easy enough to imagine that the statue was dumped off a sailing vessel that was near foundering way back when. Either way, I hope it finds it's way into a public collection - I doubt that will happen though.

Possibly, but it's easy enough to imagine that the statue was dumped off a sailing vessel that was near foundering way back when. Either way, I hope it finds it's way into a public collection - I doubt that will happen though.

As the article says, it clearly wasn't underwater for any substantial amount of time.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

I wonder what the poor fisherman will receive from the sale?

The reward for being a good citizen is 'no punishment'.