Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Experience 2 nights ago

Sakari

I rarely get to post these things. I have in a topic I made called " sightings from skeptics " when people say " well, you have never experienced it then "....

Anyway, I am not saying this was a " ghost ", just posting my experience for your enjoyment, and it is detailed and real.

I work at a Copper and Gold mine in Morenci, Arizona. ( feel free to google it )

It has been there for a very long time.

I have been told numerous stories of how it is " haunted ", and do not have the time, nor the patience to share all of those....

2 nights ago, I was starting my graveyard shift. I was starting 3 hours late, do to a class I had to take the next day. ( class at work ) I went into the mens changing room, and set down my coveralls and lunch box. No one was in there, as it is far from the process plant, and shifts were started 3 hours before.

I had to use the bathroom stall as I all ways do after my 55 mile drive. I took the last one in, and they were all empty. I have this dumb thing where I can not go number 2 with company.

When I was about done doing my business, and kind of just relaxing, I saw the stall door shadow next to me move inward, the door was opening. As said, I have a fear of other people being next to me when I poop, so I am very quiet. The door opened about 3 feet slowly, then slowly back to closed, then opened about an inch. No footsteps at all, and I did bend over to look for feet.( again, my paranoid pooping phobia )....No one in there.

I then heard the paper towel dispenser go two turns ( automatic one, motion sensor )......I did not hear anyone rip off the towels. ( it was very quiet in there with the place empty ).I was done, so within 10 seconds I was out of the stall.

No towels were out of the dispenser, and I used it right away to dry my hands, so it was not empty. I checked around the entire place, and no one was in there at all.

I told a few people, some believe it is a normal thing, and a ghost. They asked me if I was scared. Funny thing, I was not. I had the thought in my head, but I know they do not exist, and it has a explanation. I do not have an explanation, and just because I do not does not mean I will call it a " haunting ".

It was pretty cool, and my " 3rd " thing I can not explain....

Do I believe in ghosts?.......Nope.

Have I had experiences....Yes.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed.

• Like 2

lol your pooping phobia made me laugh

But other then that I like the whole concept of sharing "sceptic ghost stories"

• Like 1

It seems to me that I see/hear poltergeist style things all the time. Stuff that seemed to have moved from where I put it down and such. Noises at night that sound like the dog walking around downstairs, when the dog is right there on the bed. Stuff that basically I just ignore and assume that whatever it is is natural, like floorboards shrinking or one of the kids moving stuff....

• Like 1

Nice post, Sakari. And I'll bet you a squillion dollars that this thread will unfold with great politeness and respect because of the way *you* respond.. Anyway, the skeptic and jokester in me has some comments to offer:

I have been told numerous stories of how it is " haunted ", and do not have the time, nor the patience to share all of those....

Thank you for sparing us.. But are any of a similar nature? Also, is the mine a 'happy' working environment, and are any of your workmates possible practical jokers? Alternatively, is there a possible 'Scooby Doo' type character who might want to scare everyone away and close the mine because they have discovered a secwut vein of diamonds/rubies/emeralds/unobtainium??? Yep, I think I'm nailin' it!!! :D

2 nights ago, I was starting my graveyard shift. I was starting 3 hours late, do to a class I had to take the next day. ( class at work ) I went into the mens changing room, and set down my coveralls and lunch box. No one was in there, as it is far from the process plant, and shifts were started 3 hours before.

I had to use the bathroom stall as I all ways do after my 55 mile drive. I took the last one in, and they were all empty. I have this dumb thing where I can not go number 2 with company.

I can relate - I hate public toilets, and if anything it's worse when they are shared by workmates...

When I was about done doing my business, and kind of just relaxing, I saw the stall door shadow next to me move inward, the door was opening. As said, I have a fear of other people being next to me when I poop, so I am very quiet. The door opened about 3 feet slowly, then slowly back to closed, then opened about an inch. No footsteps at all, and I did bend over to look for feet.( again, my paranoid pooping phobia )....No one in there.

I then heard the paper towel dispenser go two turns ( automatic one, motion sensor )......I did not hear anyone rip off the towels. ( it was very quiet in there with the place empty ).I was done, so within 10 seconds I was out of the stall.

No towels were out of the dispenser, and I used it right away to dry my hands, so it was not empty. I checked around the entire place, and no one was in there at all.

Coupla questions - have you taken a look at the entire scenario from a practical joke point of view, to see if you could work out how to do it? I'm thinking a long stick/pole would suffice to do all that, but without seeing the scene.. Is it relatively easy to sneak up to near the cubicles? Also, are you certain the noise was the dispenser? Toilets often have other relay operated systems on timers...

Anyway, other than - I'd grab my Scooby Snacks and RRRRRun forrrr it!!

Thank you for sparing us.. But are any of a similar nature? Also, is the mine a 'happy' working environment, and are any of your workmates possible practical jokers? Alternatively, is there a possible 'Scooby Doo' type character who might want to scare everyone away and close the mine because they have discovered a secwut vein of diamonds/rubies/emeralds/unobtainium??? Yep, I think I'm nailin' it!!! :D

Most stories are " seeing " things, and being touched, or pushed on the back. Not a hard push.

Let me add to the " ghost " thing...This Mine has had over 30 deaths on property.......Spooky huh?

As for joking, no, everyone is great, but safety is a huge thing there, and as for a long pole or anything, nope. Hard to explain it, but it is a big locker room. I do know 100% no one was in there. Unless they floated out real fast, and did not use a door, or go through the security gate. Gate takes a card that is scanned to open, a circular gate. Then about 60 steps to the parking lot. No one in site...

I can relate - I hate public toilets, and if anything it's worse when they are shared by workmates...

I hate it with a passion. Thinking of going with depends.

Coupla questions - have you taken a look at the entire scenario from a practical joke point of view, to see if you could work out how to do it? I'm thinking a long stick/pole would suffice to do all that, but without seeing the scene.. Is it relatively easy to sneak up to near the cubicles? Also, are you certain the noise was the dispenser? Toilets often have other relay operated systems on timers...

I am 100% sure no one was in there except me. The toilets are manual flush, towel dispensers are the only automated thing in there.

Anyway, other than - I'd grab my Scooby Snacks and RRRRRun forrrr it!!

Really was not scary.....I looked around for 10 minutes, but had to go to work.

And, again, for those that read this.....I do not believe in ghosts. I know there is a answer to this, but I just do not know it yet.

If it makes you feel better, I can't poop either with other people around.

As far as the experience, we have weird things like that happen at the hospital I work at. Things move around on their own (you leave something in one place, come back, it's somewhere else), you can hear cabinet doors shut when no one is in a room, all kinds of wierd happenings. Could be drafts. Sometimes those automatic dispensers will fire for no reason (we have those, too).

This site was pretty interesting:

http://www.mininghistoryassociation.org/Morenci.htm

That's an old site, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some legit hauntings there. Maybe next time you'll say hi?

• Like 1

As far as the experience, we have weird things like that happen at the hospital I work at. Things move around on their own (you leave something in one place, come back, it's somewhere else), you can hear cabinet doors shut when no one is in a room, all kinds of wierd happenings. Could be drafts. Sometimes those automatic dispensers will fire for no reason (we have those, too).

This site was pretty interesting:

http://www.mininghis...org/Morenci.htm

That's an old site, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some legit hauntings there. Maybe next time you'll say hi?

Thanks, I am off to bed but will check link tomorrow......

I need to make a topic on that.

• Like 1

I can't poop either with other people around.

Yeah, I avoid those Poop Party invites as well!

Just ****'n with you! (pun intended)

:) :) :)

I do not believe in ghosts. I know there is a answer to this, but I just do not know it yet.

*snip*

Not that this may have anything to do with your situation, but when I read about possible pranksters, this always come to mind. It was so baffling...

I had a friend in college who was the victim of a prankster(s) over about a 2 year period. You would be surprised at how unbelievably good some of these pranksters can be. It was like he was being stalked/harassed by a ghost.

My friend was a weight lifter and runner and yet this prankster(s) would get away in situations where it would seem like he had to have vanished into thin air.

It was a very perplexing situation. It almost drove my friend mad.

Anyway, we were eventually able to figure out the who (down to a few names) and the why, but not the how.

It was an amazing two-year long series of pranks, he/they were NEVER caught or even SEEN.

And no rumors on campus and to WHO they were.

Edited by QuiteContrary

I'll say that if the place has a history of 'sightings', there's a possibility it could be haunted.

In the case you did encounter something out of the normal, I doubt it was anything bad.

Just going about its business.

Or there could be a reasonable explanation; but since you were in the stall it was hard to get anymore details.

I'm curious, to say the least! But thanks for sharing.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed.

hello Sakari,

1- were there any windows open?

2- how many cubicles are there in total?

3- were all the doors shut? (assume so, as you said it was opening)

4- did you open each door prior to choosing the last cubicle to do your business?

cheers

Q

hello Sakari,

4- did you open each door prior to choosing the last cubicle to do your business?

cheers

Q

I wish I could post a pic. The place is huge. There are windows, old ones like in the old train stations.They are about 25 feet up. Some are open and some are closed, they never change. Not a breeze at all. Pretty damn cold actually.

In the area I was in 8.

Shut yes, but ( me being anal ) I walk down and checked each one to ensure I had my privacy to get things done fast.

Yes, each one. I usually use stall #3, but since the shift had started and no one was in there, I took the last one against the wall.

Background: Phelps Dodge & Company invested $50,000 in the property in 1881, marking the New York mercantile’s first venture into mining. Through acquisition, Phelps Dodge & Company consolidated all mining operations in the district by 1921. Initially underground, Morenci transitioned to open-pit mining beginning in 1937. The operation nearly doubled its production capacity during World War II at the urging of the U.S. government to meet wartime needs. Morenci’s first SX/EW plant was commissioned in 1987. Once home to two smelters, the last smelter ceased operation in 1984. Both have been demolished and reclaimed.

The biggest employer in Morenci (and in nearby Clifton) is Freeport-McMoRan, the owner of the Morenci Mine, the largest copper mining operation in North America, and one of the largest copper mines in the world.

MorenciConc1942.jpg

• Like 1

Don't have an explanation for the event, but I know from experience that working graveyard shifts can play funny things with your mind.

Especially if you're working in a production facility that employs hundreds during the day but is next to empty at night. I used to work in a food processing factory that ran our pizza production area 24 hours a day during the week as it was more economical due to the nature of how it worked so I was part of a crew working 8pm-8am shifts. There was us, nighttime cleaning crew cleaning the other production areas that didn't run during the night and some engineers and technicians on hand in case something went wrong. Wandering through the place at night when the cleaning crew was on their break and I was in a different part of the factory picking up something we need from stores, I'd regularly get the weird impression that someone was coming up behind me or that I heard someone say something.

Not saying anything like that happened to you, but nightshift can be a strange experience.

Having said that, there was a couple of guys who would sometimes turn up drunk for nightshift and were more of a nuisance to deal with than the strange noises and feelings.

Edited by JesseCuster

Don't have an explanation for the event, but I know from experience that working graveyard shifts can play funny things with your mind.

Especially if you're working in a production facility that employs hundreds during the day but is next to empty at night. I used to work in a food processing factory that ran our pizza production area 24 hours a day during the week as it was more economical due to the nature of how it worked so I was part of a crew working 8pm-8am shifts. There was us, nighttime cleaning crew cleaning the other production areas that didn't run during the night and some engineers and technicians on hand in case something went wrong. Wandering through the place at night when the cleaning crew was on their break and I was in a different part of the factory picking up something we need from stores, I'd regularly get the weird impression that someone was coming up behind me or that I heard someone say something.

Not saying anything like that happened to you, but nightshift can be a strange experience.

Having said that, there was a couple of guys who would sometimes turn up drunk for nightshift and were more of a nuisance to deal with than the strange noises and feelings.

Even worse, we do a rotating shift.....

Even worse, we do a rotating shift.....

I actually preferred the rotating shift (6am-2pm, 10pm-6am, 2pm-10pm) the permanent nightshifts. I couldn't switch to regular hours at the weekend and spend myself out of sync with the world around me.

But most guys I worked with preferred the permanent nights after we moved over from a rotating shift.

This is derailing the thread however.

Interesting story. Hard to really say what it was or wasn't.

But one thing i do know, I have an overwhelming desire to track all of you people down, find you in a bathroom, and poop next to you.

• Like 5

snipped to reconsider my comment.

Please share.

But one thing i do know, I have an overwhelming desire to track all of you people down, find you in a bathroom, and poop next to you.

That made my day !

One time a friend who was a manager of retail spaces had access to a vacant Bradlees dept store.So we went to play one on one Paintball inside the place.When we were prepping our gear we heard something walking around in the security loft overlooking the store.He called out that this is private property, and if anyone is here just leave no harm, or foul.We then heard what sounded like a plastic bottle get thrown against a wall, and tumble on the floor.We went up, and did not find anything.

When we left my friend told me that contractors get spooked by noises in there.One time him, and his father were checking the electric panel in the back of the place.They both heard something running towards them from the blackness of the corridor.As the noise came up on them the noise stopped.Only report of someone dying that he knew of is that a homeless man froze to death in the dumpster in the back lot.

Please share.

All right. It was 2003-2002?, in the fall. I went to a dance a Kemper Center in Kenosha, Wisconsin. I left during the middle of a song to use the ladies room downstairs. Had a wardrobe malfunction. I noted the echo of my heels while walking into the bathroom, and figured I would hear anyone walking in on me. Thought I heard a toilet flush as I was walking into the bathroom hall, but when I walked into the bathroom it was empty- I checked all the stalls. Shrugged the flush off as possible funny plumbing. Went into a stall and started doing what I needed to, and I heard the thump of a stall door followed by heel clicks then the sink running and shut off. I opened my stall door to peek out, and there was no one in the bathroom.

The bathroom itself was a big rectangle with a switchback hall at one end rather than doors. Bathroom proper was a row of stalls along the one wall with the row of sinks on the opposite wall. No windows as it was a basement bathroom.

Now it could have been I just missed a person in the bathroom when I checked all the stalls though I'm not sure how since it's kind of hard to hide in a stall, funny plumbing and errant drafts, old stall doors having their own swing and echo bounces from outside the bathroom sounding like they were in the bathroom. But the noise was in sequence of someone leaving a stall, walking across the bathroom, then the sink running like a person was in the bathroom with me, and I could never figure that part out.

All right. It was 2003-2002?, in the fall. I went to a dance a Kemper Center in Kenosha, Wisconsin. I left during the middle of a song to use the ladies room downstairs. Had a wardrobe malfunction. I noted the echo of my heels while walking into the bathroom, and figured I would hear anyone walking in on me. Thought I heard a toilet flush as I was walking into the bathroom hall, but when I walked into the bathroom it was empty- I checked all the stalls. Shrugged the flush off as possible funny plumbing. Went into a stall and started doing what I needed to, and I heard the thump of a stall door followed by heel clicks then the sink running and shut off. I opened my stall door to peek out, and there was no one in the bathroom.

The bathroom itself was a big rectangle with a switchback hall at one end rather than doors. Bathroom proper was a row of stalls along the one wall with the row of sinks on the opposite wall. No windows as it was a basement bathroom.

Now it could have been I just missed a person in the bathroom when I checked all the stalls though I'm not sure how since it's kind of hard to hide in a stall, funny plumbing and errant drafts, old stall doors having their own swing and echo bounces from outside the bathroom sounding like they were in the bathroom. But the noise was in sequence of someone leaving a stall, walking across the bathroom, then the sink running like a person was in the bathroom with me, and I could never figure that part out.

Sounds the same....TY

Sounds the same....TY

Yeah, that's why your story reminded me of my story. And why I reconsidered the post- I felt kind of stupid because the story was so similar.

Yeah, that's why your story reminded me of my story. And why I reconsidered the post- I felt kind of stupid because the story was so similar.

Not stupid at all.

Glad I am not the only one.

One night I was locked a lone in the store, Only my manager knew about this since I had to review security footage on some one stealing 4 grand of tablets. I was reviewing video tapes and the phone rings at the managers office next door. Thinking it was my boss calling me up to see how I was doing, I paused the video and went and walked over. The phone rang for like two minutes and it took me forever to get since I had to unlock the managers office and you need to mess with the lock until it opens. When I opened the door, the phone went quiet.

Instantly I checked the caller ID on the phone and there was none. Annoyed I walked back but propped the door and I sent a text to my boss asking if it was him calling. When I walked into the security room the monitor was turned off. I sat down, turn the monitor on and went to review the footage. Then the phone rang in the managers office, I ran over and answer the phone. Who ever called hang up. I got annoyed press *69. The number you called is inactive blah blah blah.

Now my boss is a serious person, she lacks any sense of humor what so ever. So i go back to the security room and again my monitor was turned off.

This is the closest thing to being weird and I always told my boss to have a security camera in the security room but she just ignored me.

It sounds mundane but that is my experience

Edited by Brian Topp
  • Like 5