Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Obamacare on death's door?

Merc14

Her deductible is outrageously high and unpredictable, something she didn't have to deal with before.

Turns out her deductible is $300. Is that "outrageously high"?

Dexter cancer patient who called health care 'unaffordable' in ad will save money under plan | The Detroit News

Boonstra said Monday her new plan she dislikes is the Blue Cross Premier Gold health care plan — which caps patient responsibility for out-of-pocket costs at $5,100 a year, lower than the federal law’s maximum of $6,350 a year. It means the new plan will save her at least $1,200 compared with her former insurance plan she preferred that was ended under Obamacare’s coverage requirements.
Edited by Startraveler

• 3 weeks later...

I have said from the beginning that it was designed to fail. Thus forcing the government to put us all universal health care.

That is what I have been thinking as well. Universal health care would be better than Obamacare, but then again, so would a frontal lobotomy :w00t:

Startraveler joined Harry Reid in saying all stories about Obamacare injustices are lies. Only thing is, crazy Harry is now saying he never said that even though he is live on video on the floor of the senate calling all these people liars he absolutely insists he never said what he said. Neither can startraveler come up with one thing he finds wrong wroth ACA as it stands today. I guess he even approves of the website. Now THAT is a cheerleader.

Edited by Merc14

What absolute rubbish! How in the hell do you link the war on drugs to obamacare and are you saying the government is behind importing heroin so as to to kill off junkies?

The government is behind all kinds of garbage that even you don't know about. Wake up.

Most of the heroin the West is strung out on is coming from Afghanistan. If the government isn't importing it, they're not securing the borders either. Which is why we shouldn't join foreign adventurers trying to secure someone else's.

And don't nation build and then when you wind up with a failed state, come and tell me that government isn't responsible. Government is completely responsible for its own failure. Even your beloved half of it.

• Like 1

The government is behind all kinds of garbage that even you don't know about. Wake up.

Most of the heroin the West is strung out on is coming from Afghanistan. If the government isn't importing it, they're not securing the borders either. Which is why we shouldn't join foreign adventurers trying to secure someone else's.

And don't nation build and then when you wind up with a failed state, come and tell me that government isn't responsible. Government is completely responsible for its own failure. Even your beloved half of it.

What does this have to do with Obamacare?

What does this have to do with Obamacare?

Obamacare is a domestic law that you're challenging out of hand. Yet you can't even focus for two seconds on a foreign policy. If you think that policies are as strong as laws, you might want to reevaluate that.

No, Sarah Palin isn't going to "repeal Obamacare" from the Oval Office. Listening to much of what you say over the past two years, it seems that you genuinely don't understand what our Constitution is or how this government works. I just see a right-wing agenda and so you brand me a pot-smoking hippie in your replies. What does that have to do with Obamacare? You brought drugs up, you tell me.

Obamacare is a domestic law that you're challenging out of hand. Yet you can't even focus for two seconds on a foreign policy. If you think that policies are as strong as laws, you might want to reevaluate that.

No, Sarah Palin isn't going to "repeal Obamacare" from the Oval Office. Listening to much of what you say over the past two years, it seems that you genuinely don't understand what our Constitution is or how this government works. I just see a right-wing agenda and so you brand me a pot-smoking hippie in your replies. What does that have to do with Obamacare? You brought drugs up, you tell me.

This is a thread about Obamacare. Maybe you should start your own thread and rant away or are you starved for attention again and therefore bothering me?

If by West you mean Europe, then you are correct. Estimates are that 99% of the Afghan opium crop goes out through Russia and directly into Western Europe.

• Like 1

Gallup has stepped in to fill that gap. (That peak at 18% is the quarter before open enrollment under the ACA began).

U.S. Uninsured Rate Continues to Fall

b12atxiztekoguarvptywa.png

I'm sorry, but a 2% improvement just seems like skirting FAIL with all the effort and cost that had to be implemented to make Obamacare happen.

Wouldn't a simple expansion of Medicare and a law preventing discrimination due to pre-existing conditions have been easier to implement and much cheaper too?

• Like 2

Back to the reason of the thread..... It is very convenient that the delays will prevent a lot of troubles before the November midterm voting. Coincidence? C'mon.... It isn't a coincidence, it is a blatant political action.

• Like 2

Back to the reason of the thread..... It is very convenient that the delays will prevent a lot of troubles before the November midterm voting. Coincidence? C'mon.... It isn't a coincidence, it is a blatant political action.

Illegal as well but there is no law at the moment and no free press. This is the high point for the ACA that startraveler so loves and it goes downhill very quickly from here . Massive premium increases, insurance companies going away etc. etc. Star doesn't seem to be an idiot yet he loves this mess. AT teh same time any fool knows this whole thing was designed to make single payer a reality. Obama even stated that at a meeting with the SEIU.

So, is startraveler a fool or a fellow traveler pining for a single payer, government controlled healthcare system? I opt for the latter.

• Like 1

Illegal as well but there is no law at the moment and no free press.

Sorry, but there's nothing illegal about it. Like I've said many times before.

The law allows for broad leeway on implementation of any aspect.

You can blame Congress for that, but you can't call it "illegal."

Harte

Sorry, but there's nothing illegal about it. Like I've said many times before.

The law allows for broad leeway on implementation of any aspect.

You can blame Congress for that, but you can't call it "illegal."

Harte

I understand that they wrote certain rules in that allow for some changes but when a law is changed to the point that is no longer executable, as ACA has, it is considered an illegal action. I belive someone is suing teh administration over it now and it is making its way through the courts but I don't hav eth time now to dig up a link. I'll check in later

This is a thread about Obamacare. Maybe you should start your own thread and rant away or are you starved for attention again and therefore bothering me?

I was just discussing Obamacare.

Looking back on this thread, what does the definition of liberal have to do with Obamacare? Eat your own cooking, Merc.

If by West you mean Europe, then you are correct. Estimates are that 99% of the Afghan opium crop goes out through Russia and directly into Western Europe.

About 90% of Afghanistan's crop leaves the country. Heroin production in Afghanistan was up almost 50% in the past year alone. It's becoming a global epidemic. Another example of blowback.

http://www.newsweek.com/america-abandons-afghanistan-drug-lords-225649

• Like 1

I understand that they wrote certain rules in that allow for some changes but when a law is changed to the point that is no longer executable, as ACA has, it is considered an illegal action. I belive someone is suing teh administration over it now and it is making its way through the courts but I don't hav eth time now to dig up a link. I'll check in later

I assume you're either thinking of the suit over the NSA, or the conversation about suing over the ending of work requirements for welfare and the non-enforcement of immigration law.

None of those have the greatest standing either, but they at least regard existing law as it is written. The ACA as written allows for every adjustment to it that has been made.

Harte

About 90% of Afghanistan's crop leaves the country. Heroin production in Afghanistan was up almost 50% in the past year alone. It's becoming a global epidemic. Another example of blowback.

http://www.newsweek....ug-lords-225649

Yes, I know that, but it does not change what I wrote. The USA has its own heroin problem, but it is almost nothing compared to Russia and Europe.

From your link....

“Very little product from the Afghan drug trade, namely heroin, is actually consumed in the United States,” she said. “The majority of heroin consumed here originates in Mexico and Colombia.
  • Like 1

Startraveler joined Harry Reid in saying all stories about Obamacare injustices are lies.

I was just asking if you think a $300 deductible is "outrageously high." Do you?

I'm sorry, but a 2% improvement just seems like skirting FAIL with all the effort and cost that had to be implemented to make Obamacare happen.

Wouldn't a simple expansion of Medicare and a law preventing discrimination due to pre-existing conditions have been easier to implement and much cheaper too?

Essentially that is what the coverage expansion pieces of the law are (plus tax credits to help people who buy insurance on their own afford plans). That and the creation of structured marketplaces--necessary for real competition--to replace the fragmented, byzantine labyrinth that existed in the individual market before.

Anyway, the coverage expansions are designed to ramp up over the first three years (2014-16). The uninsured rate will continue to fall over the next years.

Edited by Startraveler

I was just asking if you think a $300 deductible is "outrageously high." Do you?

Essentially that is what the coverage expansion pieces of the law are (plus tax credits to help people who buy insurance on their own afford plans). That and the creation of structured marketplaces--necessary for real competition--to replace the fragmented, byzantine labyrinth that existed in the individual market before.

Anyway, the coverage expansions are designed to ramp up over the first three years (2014-16). The uninsured rate will continue to fall over the next years.

Start telling the whole story. http://www.nationalreview.com/article/373429/war-julie-boonstra-henry-payne

I once again ask, is there anything about the implementation of Obamacare that you find woefully inept?

Why has Obama delayed yet another Obamacare deadline?

Are you going to tell us that the website is perfectly safe to use?

Are telling us the website is fully functional?

Some more things startraveler isn't talking about:

Two months before health insurers must submit rate proposals for 2015 to government regulators, WellPoint Inc. (WLP:US) fired a surprising shot across their bow by predicting it may ask for “double-digit plus” increases.

Kathleen Sebelius, the U.S. Health and Human Services secretary, said March 13 that while premiums for health plans sold on the Obamacare insurance exchanges would rise next year, the increases would be “far less significant than they were before the passage of the Affordable Care Act.”

Individuals who bought their own insurance in 2010 paid 13 percent more than in 2009, a Kaiser Family Foundation survey found. The exchanges, which opened in October, serve those who buy their own individual or family insurance and aren’t covered by employer or government health plans. WellPoint’s statement on next year’s rates, the first by an insurer, startled some analysts while others said the company may be hedging bets as the Obama administration continually changes the rules on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.

Full article here: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-03-25/obamacare-insurer-wellpoint-sees-double-digit-rate-rise-in-2015

Now star will post some crap from HHS, a department that has failed so miserably to date that only an idiot would post their numbers, and ask us to believe their propaganda.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 2

I assume you're either thinking of the suit over the NSA, or the conversation about suing over the ending of work requirements for welfare and the non-enforcement of immigration law.

None of those have the greatest standing either, but they at least regard existing law as it is written. The ACA as written allows for every adjustment to it that has been made.

Harte

Harte, from Forbes (link below excerpt):

Regarding the legality of the deadline extension, Phil Klein finds the statutory language that indicates that the extension is in fact illegal:

Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H., urged President Obama in a letter to consider extending the open enrollment period for Obamacare beyond March 31, 2014, given the IT problems confronting the program.

But that decision isn’t up to Obama.

Even if Obama wanted to extend the open enrollment period, he wouldn’t be allowed to without an act of Congress — at least if he wants to follow the law he signed.

Though the health care law granted the Secretary of Health and Human Services discretion to define dates for the open enrollment period to occur each year, it also specified that the initial enrollment period (i.e. the current one) had to be announced by July 1, 2012.

Specifically, Section 1311 of the healthcare law reads, “ENROLLMENT PERIODS: The Secretary shall require an Exchange to provide for– (A) an initial open enrollment,
as determined by the Secretary (such determination to be made not later than July 1, 2012).”

Given that HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius has already determined that the enrollment period must end on March 31 — and nearly 16 months has passed since she made that determination — extending the period would require an act of Congress to change the law.

Full article here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2014/03/25/surprise-white-house-to-delay-firm-obamacare-enrollment-deadline-past-march-31/

Edited by Merc14

I once again ask, is there anything about the implementation of Obamacare that you find woefully inept?

Sure, the months of October and November.

Why has Obama delayed yet another Obamacare deadline?

Because there are literally lines around the block right now for enrollment centers in cities around the country. People who start by Monday will get to finish their application. There's no reason to cut those people off just out of spite.

Are you going to tell us that the website is perfectly safe to use?

Are telling us the website is fully functional?

It seems to be working all right. They're getting so much traffic now that the queuing system is happening (more reason to let people who start by Monday finish), so of course it isn't perfect. But it now looks like they're going to approach (and perhaps even exceed) the 7 million number when all is said and done.

Specifically, Section 1311 of the healthcare law reads, “ENROLLMENT PERIODS: The Secretary shall require an Exchange to provide for– (A) an initial open enrollment,
as determined by the Secretary (such determination to be made not later than July 1, 2012).”

Given that HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius has already determined that the enrollment period must end on March 31 — and nearly 16 months has passed since she made that determination — extending the period would require an act of Congress to change the law.

An analysis that misses the fact that HHS isn't changing the initial enrollment period. They're exercising their prerogative to institute special enrollment periods (in this case, for people still "in line"--virtually or literally--on Monday). That author needs to read one line down from what he quoted in the law:

(6) Enrollment periods

The Secretary shall require an Exchange to provide for—

(A) an initial open enrollment, as determined by the Secretary (such determination to be made not later than July 1, 2012);

(
B)
annual open enrollment periods, as determined by the Secretary for calendar years after the initial enrollment period;

© special enrollment periods specified in section 9801 of title 26 and other special enrollment periods under circumstances similar to such periods under part D of title XVIII of the Social Security Act; and

(D) special monthly enrollment periods for Indians (as defined in section 1603 of title 25).

Sure, the months of October and November.

Yeah, looking back you were strangely quiet, I remember asking where you were after all your crowing and now we know the answer for sure, you skulked away and hid. Thanks for affirming my accusations at the time of your noticeable absence.

Because there are literally lines around the block right now for enrollment centers in cities around the country. People who start by Monday will get to finish their application. There's no reason to cut those people off just out of spite.

It seems to be working all right. They're getting so much traffic now that the queuing system is happening (more reason to let people who start by Monday finish), so of course it isn't perfect. But it now looks like they're going to approach (and perhaps even exceed) the 7 million number when all is said and done.

That isn't a "line around the corner" at Healthcare.gov, it is a trickle that a very poorly planned and executed site can't handle. 7 million transactions from October 1, 2013 till March 3, 2014 was the target and they never reached that. Not hitting their very low minimum tells one that the site isn't even able to handle the minimum level of traffic hoped for.

As a comparison, on cyber Monday in 2012 Amazon processed 27 million transactions in a single day, all securely and safely with nary a delay in service. 27 million in one day compared to less than 7 million in 5 months and wait times are agonizingly long compared to even the most poorly executed websites.

As for the 7 million, it is estimated that easily 1 in 5 have not paid. Why estimated? Because the website's back end still isn't working!

http://www.forbes.co...coverage-later/

An analysis that misses the fact that HHS isn't changing the initial enrollment period. They're exercising their prerogative to institute special enrollment periods (in this case, for people still "in line"--virtually or literally--on Monday). That author needs to read one line down from what he quoted in the law:

See my above response to Harte and "changing the initial enrollment period" is semantics, this is just another in a long list of delays. Why all these delays? It is simply and purely politics. Only 26% support the ACA in a the AP-GFK survey. 26%!! Now that is run for the hills bad and just think, Obama has delayed some of the more destructive aspects until after the election(s) now

Edited by Merc14