Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Obamacare on death's door?

Merc14

As a comparison, on cyber Monday in 2012 Amazon processed 27 million transactions in a single day, all securely and safely with nary a delay in service. 27 million in one day compared to less than 7 million in 5 months and wait times are agonizingly long compared to even the most poorly executed websites.

Your comparison is ridiculous. Ecommerce is a well understood, common and relatively minor process compared to Insurance enrollment which was rare on-line and much more complex.

As for the 7 million, it is estimated that easily 1 in 5 have not paid.

again why do you care? They're not paying the federal government. Insurance companies will collect make no mistake.

hi can someone please explain to me why everyone is against Obamacare.? I'm living in Ireland and we dont hear much about it over here.. can someone tell me what it is.?

a minor regional party thinks they can make political hay out of it. Nothing more.

hi can someone please explain to me why everyone is against Obamacare.? I'm living in Ireland and we dont hear much about it over here.. can someone tell me what it is.?

Thanks

In short, those of US against it are so because our government is forcing US to buy a third party product or pay a penalty for it. Our government has no authority to force US to buy anything. They have the power to levy taxes and in a roundabout shady underhanded way they've figured out a way to call this a tax. The even shorter version is that they've twisted our quite plain and simple constitution into a technical legalese monstrisity in order to achieve something they have no business doing. We don't like force or massive government involvement in our personal lives and paychecks.

Otherwise, best for you to just pay attention to these obamacare threads and you'll get all sides of the story sooner or later.

• Like 1

And don't listen to ninja. He is not qualified to tell you what's wrong with it as he has been its biggest blindest cheerleader since day one.

It's not a minor regional anything. It's a national outrage. Polled at 26% support by the AP.

Despite a late surge in sign-ups, support for President Barack Obama's health care law is languishing at its lowest level since passage of the landmark legislation four years ago, according to a new poll.

The Associated Press-GfK survey finds that 26 percent of Americans support the Affordable Care Act. Yet even fewer — 13 percent — think it will be completely repealed. A narrow majority expects the law to be further implemented with minor changes, or as passed.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/obamacare-poll-105141.html#ixzz2xTEGcpLp

In short, those of US against it are so because our government is forcing US to buy a third party product or pay a penalty for it. Our government has no authority to force US to buy anything. They have the power to levy taxes and in a roundabout shady underhanded way they've figured out a way to call this a tax. The even shorter version is that they've twisted our quite plain and simple constitution into a technical legalese monstrisity in order to achieve something they have no business doing. We don't like force or massive government involvement in our personal lives and paychecks.

Otherwise, best for you to just pay attention to these obamacare threads and you'll get all sides of the story sooner or later.

The government also "forces" you to buy car insurance, house insurance, a license, license plate, "forces" you to pay taxes anyways, "forces" you to get a job to pay for these things, etc etc.

Simple constitution? Something that is almost 300 years old in a modern society can no longer be considered "simple." The constitution is outdated, even by today's standards. Do you really think 500 years from now it'll be exactly the same? I sure hope not, because if a society doesn't get up to speed on the times, it's doomed to fail.

I'm also assuming the government forced you to make that post because of Obamacare. No Obamacare= no forced post about it!

Ridiculous, Obamacare is working well and hasn't even been around for more than 2 years yet, and by all indications it's working just fine. "No it's not, only 14 million signed up!" Sounds pretty good to me, seeing as how it was supposed to fail from the start and not even get this far as far as 75% of the people in this thread thought it would.

• Like 1

Thanks

As far as I am conserned it is because they sold us one thing and then implemented the legislation however they want to. Basically because almost everyone involved has lied about the how, why and when of just about everything.

• Like 3

Well sorry I don't think heroin is a European problem when I read links like I just posted. I think it's a global problem made far worse by our policies. Not Russia's.

It is a global problem just as the political issues in Ukraine is a global problem.

What do you propose the USA does then? Be the heroin police force of the world?

So it's either war or nothing? That's exactly what the neocons told me over and over again in 2002. Why does it take a war to sanction Afghanistan? We've been sanctioning Iran for over 30 years. Why can't we allegedly block even one thing from one country even with troops there? Is it because sanctions don't work? How much fail is failure?

Hell, we can slap whatever sanctions we want on Afghanistan and what is it going to mean? Their border into Russia is basically more open then the US's border with Mexico.

So you will complain about people dying from heroin, but would only put political pressure on Afghanistan to do something? Point out problem, but do nothing about it?

The Europeans can do whatever they want. Burning down poppy fields isn't going to work. The only thing that has been proven to work is Taliban crackdown. Let's go back before September 11, 2001 and see what was going on

http://www.nytimes.c...-aides-say.html

And how did the Taliban perform this crackdown? With soldiers.....

How would you propose the US do it then??..... Without soldiers.....

You can't eliminate poppy fields at all. The fields are still there, and they just plant more. Another impossible mission to have our military failing at. No thank you.

What the what?? You just said that the Taliban DID wipe out the poppy fields. Which is it? Impossible or not?

Strictly speaking heroin is a molecule like THC. You can't tell where marijuana comes from by having some THC that was extracted from it. You can't get DNA from a heroin molecule. You're referring to impurities which may contain some plant material of some kind which may have nothing to do with poppies themselves, but that's all just conjecture. I don't want to invent reasons for how bureaucrats could be right in order to agree with them. What is clear is the explosion of heroin onto the global market from Afghanistan and much cheaper prices from wide availability on the street.

Yeah. Please read what I wrote again. I said by way of the chemical signature from manufacturing, or if you have the actual poppys, by way of DNA. You must not be reading what I wrote and jumping to conclusions.

If the problem is 10 times worse in Russia than it is here, then it's even worse than I thought it was. Why wouldn't that create serious disagreements with our policy from Russia? I hope it does. That's a damn good reason to oppose it.

You are right, and I've previously said if it was up to me, there would be no poppy fields.

Can we control our own borders? We can't control the ones in Afghanistan. That doesn't bode well but yeah, let's at least succeed here at home if that's even possible.

Dealing with problems limited to our own country has been my gig for over 10 years now so I'm glad you agree. Unfortunately Afghanistan is responsible for 90% of the world's opium. If we're okay with that and we're not doing all the things the White House says we're doing to curb the production there, and instead we hammer away at the 1% here and 0.5% there, we're not going to get rid of it because the demand is there. While we're not caring about Afghanistan because it's predominantly someone else's problem, it's coming out of Glaxo Smith Kline and Pfizer too and generic labs all over the country. So let's not pretend this is isn't wanted or just some innocent accident that only applies to Afghanistan. And we're not doing ourselves any credible favor on the world stage as far as relationships with other countries either. If 90% of the UK's heroin comes from Afghanistan, especially after we've been up Afghanistan's rear end to the extent that we have, and they're not angry about that, what's wrong with them? Now the UK has another mess to clean up if they care enough. And no, I'm not suggesting we clean it up for them. I've been known to criticize that Pottery Barn mentality. There's only so much fixing that we can do after we break something and Afghanistan is 10 years too long already.

The more supply there is, the lower prices become. The lower the prices become, the more people get hooked. Mexican heroin upsurge is a recent bugaboo of the past few years that is yet another example of blowback. That Mexican heroin would be a lot more expensive both to produce and to consume if the world wasn't drowning in Afghan heroin already.

I agree something needs to be done. I just don't think the US needs to be Policeman of the world in Afghanistan for the next 10 years to clean up the opium. Perhaps part of a UN taskforce to clean it up, but I don't want OUR guys being killed there to protect some Russian guy from using heroin.

The government also "forces" you to buy car insurance, house insurance, a license, license plate, "forces" you to pay taxes anyways, "forces" you to get a job to pay for these things, etc etc.

Wrong on all accounts. They don't force you to buy those things for simply being a breathing citizen. Those things are obligations attached to things you don't have to buy in the first place. And they don't force you to get a job to pay taxes. I don't even need to extrapolate on that. Your logic is wrong and far reaching.

Simple constitution? Something that is almost 300 years old in a modern society can no longer be considered "simple." The constitution is outdated, even by today's standards. Do you really think 500 years from now it'll be exactly the same? I sure hope not, because if a society doesn't get up to speed on the times, it's doomed to fail.

First, it's much closer to 200 years than 300. Again, you're reaching far to make exaggerated points. Have you ever read it? Huh? It's simple and easy to understand. Most of all, it is written in such a way to allow it to be changed, just not at a whim which itself is full of intelligent hindsight and farsightedness by those ancient men of the times. If changing it was so popular and necessary it could be done! and has. Otherwise, it would be changing as fast as the times. So, digress.

Ridiculous, Obamacare is working well and hasn't even been around for more than 2 years yet, and by all indications it's working just fine. "No it's not, only 14 million signed up!" Sounds pretty good to me, seeing as how it was supposed to fail from the start and not even get this far as far as 75% of the people in this thread thought it would.

2 years? It hasn't even been fully implemented yet. Of those 14 million there could be upwards of at least 5 million who already were insured that wee kicked off of their plans and forced into finding another. So we'll take that down to 9 million sign ups. Of those, 7 million at least are not paying a dime as they've opted into tax funded medical insurance systems. So that leaves a maximum of only 2 million people newly insured with an unknown number of actual payments being made. I don't know how to dissect it any further ATM but 14M? That number, it's a crock and at the least you could admit that at a cost of trillions of dollars this law isn't even close to paying for itself anytime in the next several decades at the rate it's going. Spin it how you want. If you actually gave it some thought you'd slow that spinwheel down a notch or ten.

The number of 14 million, that is pretty good. But enrollees in the exchanges is about 6 million. The rest are Medicaid and Children's Health Insurance Program enrollees. And like was said of the 6 million 20% are said not to have paid. And thus are not actually enrolled.

That is still better then I would have guessed that the brain donars running everything were going to achieve.

Now if only the rest of us are not hamstrung by the legislation, and if those who signed up actually allow the exchanges to stay low priced, and if the general insurance costs actually decrease (or at least increase less). Then there might be something for Obama to be proud of.

Your comparison is ridiculous. Ecommerce is a well understood, common and relatively minor process compared to Insurance enrollment which was rare on-line and much more complex.

Obviously, which is why I emphasized the numbers. Startraveler was blaming the unbearably slow performance on "a line around the block ", which is absurd in and of itself, and I wanted to show that Amazon could quickly, safely and securely process 27 million transactions in a single day so please stop with the "line around the block" BS. I realize that you are unable to see the ridiculousness of being unable to successfully complete 5 million transactions over a 5+ month period as compared to 27 million transactions in a single day, no matter how straight forward and am making this point for anyone else who may be reading and not understand the enormity of this failure

As far as this unbelievable complexity, do you not think that thousands or millions of sites process equally as complicated transactions daily in a quick, safe and secure manner (none of which Healthcare.gov can do I might add)?

None of this should surprise anyone. The NY Tiimes noted:

“Indeed, according to the research firm the Standish Group, 94 percent of large federal information technology projects over the past 10 years were unsuccessful — more than half were delayed, over budget, or didn’t meet user expectations, and 41.4 percent failed completely.”

and then there are people like you that think it is just fine as is. :w00t:

again why do you care? They're not paying the federal government. Insurance companies will collect make no mistake.

You're right, the insurance companies will be made whole and I care because when the bill comes due, we taxpayers will make the insurance companies whole. Never doubt that for a minute and they are asking now.

From NY Post article dated January 12, 2014

"Obama health official Gary Cohen announced that the federal government (taxpayers) will offset most losses, citing section 1342. Sweetening what the law already guarantees, the administration pledged to “modify” the bailout’s “final rules to provide additional assistance.”

http://nypost.com/20...ompany-bailout/

Talk about adding insult to injury.

You and star, the two pied pipers of Obamacare, have failed epically as well and now you two are acting as the Baghdad Bobs of Obamacare. Hey, keep it up, you have no idea what this is doing for your credibility and it would be even better if you guys wore a black beret with a big O on the front.

http://youtu.be/PSgAPhQEFDw?t=1m

Just watching this again really reminds me of you ninja. Freakin' hilarious

Reporter: Sir, how do you think the site is working now

Star in his beret with a big O : It is running very good. We have lines around the block to get in.

R: but I heard there were massive delays and....

Ninja in his beret with a big O: THAT IS A LIE BY REPUBLICAN CRIMINALS. There are no delays at all all 20 million people are processing well today.

R: 20 million!?!?! Sebelius said it was 4 million yesterday? What about the back end? The insurance companies say that don't even know who is signing up and if they have paid?!?!

S in Beret: This is a fabrication by that gangster Limbaugh.

R: But 20 million? Come on, last we heard it like 4...

N in Beret: 20 million hits is far exceeding of our wildest dreams and is good number.

R: A hit? even the counter on the site says 9 million hits, what the hell is...

S and N in berets: (walking off) Counter???? What counter? Don't be ridiculous. You are making things up and everything is very well now on site and back end looks tight and fit and well rounded and is finely done. (door slams)

Edited by Merc14

Wrong on all accounts. They don't force you to buy those things for simply being a breathing citizen. Those things are obligations attached to things you don't have to buy in the first place. And they don't force you to get a job to pay taxes. I don't even need to extrapolate on that. Your logic is wrong and far reaching.

Nothing is forced on anyone, that was my point, you just fail to see that. I agree with you.

Neither is health insurance. You either get it or pay a fine, just like car insurance, if you choose to drive with or without it. You either starve, or buy food, either way you still need money, and a residence for the most part, unless you're homeless, and if you have a place to live you pay taxes, see my point? "No I don't..." Figures.

First, it's much closer to 200 years than 300. Again, you're reaching far to make exaggerated points. Have you ever read it? Huh? It's simple and easy to understand. Most of all, it is written in such a way to allow it to be changed, just not at a whim which itself is full of intelligent hindsight and farsightedness by those ancient men of the times. If changing it was so popular and necessary it could be done! and has. Otherwise, it would be changing as fast as the times. So, digress.

Yes exactly! Written in a way so it can be changed! Sounds familiar doesn't it? I believe you said it shouldn't be changed, nice flip flop you have going there. You; "The even shorter version is that they've twisted our quite plain and simple constitution into a technical legalese monstrisity in order to achieve something they have no business doing." So...they should only change it when it suits your needs? Ohhhk. Name something where it was "changed" that was horrible, besides this dreaded, terrifying healthcare act. Digress, please. Sorry about being 100+- years off, they are about as close as your logic, I learned it from this thread actually.

2 years? It hasn't even been fully implemented yet. Of those 14 million there could be upwards of at least 5 million who already were insured that wee kicked off of their plans and forced into finding another. So we'll take that down to 9 million sign ups. Of those, 7 million at least are not paying a dime as they've opted into tax funded medical insurance systems. So that leaves a maximum of only 2 million people newly insured with an unknown number of actual payments being made. I don't know how to dissect it any further ATM but 14M? That number, it's a crock and at the least you could admit that at a cost of trillions of dollars this law isn't even close to paying for itself anytime in the next several decades at the rate it's going. Spin it how you want. If you actually gave it some thought you'd slow that spinwheel down a notch or ten.

You pulled those numbers out of you know where, and it's all made up as far as me, and facts are concerned. "What's a fact?"

Nothing in America is paying for itself and hasn't for some time, which is why we are in so much debt I believe. Trillions? Really? Let me see a link besides a website titled, "madeupfacts.com", where those trillions are being spent. That's a monstrosity of a spending bill. So by your logic, at least 1/10th of our debt is from healthcare? When did that happen, besides in lalaland? But hey, at least those 7 million weren't "forced" to buy healthcare because it was free and they knew it! I'd call that a roaring success! That's "9 million" out of 14! Not bad, not bad at all.

Accidentally put responses in quotes, see 2nd paragraphs.

Edited by andy4

What about the other 44 million Americans who are still uninsured?

Those are probably being saved for late 2014 when the promise of help for them will be a lever the DNC will try to use to retain seats in Congress.

Those are probably being saved for late 2014 when the promise of help for them will be a lever the DNC will try to use to retain seats in Congress.

Why don't the republicans use that than? Oh that's right, they don't know their head from their foot.

Why don't the republicans use that than? Oh that's right, they don't know their head from their foot.

Republicans don't have to play up the failures of Obamacare. History sells it for them.

Kathleen was a good governor until Obama got a hold of her. Then she went to ca-ca.

Republicans don't have to play up the failures of Obamacare. History sells it for them.

So they sit by and do nothing for the people they want to vote for them? Good logic. "Vote for me, I won't solve your problems." Nice bumper sticker that would make. Anyways, is that how the game goes now for republicans or any politician for that matter? If the other party broke it, just throw it in the trash and push it aside until they get voted in again and let them deal with it. Glad no rational people actually think like that. This country would be in shambles....

You pulled those numbers out of you know where, and it's all made up as far as me, and facts are concerned. "What's a fact?"

Nothing in America is paying for itself and hasn't for some time, which is why we are in so much debt I believe. Trillions? Really? Let me see a link besides a website titled, "madeupfacts.com", where those trillions are being spent. That's a monstrosity of a spending bill. So by your logic, at least 1/10th of our debt is from healthcare? When did that happen, besides in lalaland? But hey, at least those 7 million weren't "forced" to buy healthcare because it was free and they knew it! I'd call that a roaring success! That's "9 million" out of 14! Not bad, not bad at all.

I don't know what the heck you're talking about. All of the numbers I used are numbers that have been used and linked excessively in these conversations which I thought you follow and would remember. They didn't come from thin air, if you were a new guy I'd replay the record but that's not going to happen. You can figure it out or someone else can direct you.

It is a global problem just as the political issues in Ukraine is a global problem.

What do you propose the USA does then? Be the heroin police force of the world?

Hell, we can slap whatever sanctions we want on Afghanistan and what is it going to mean? Their border into Russia is basically more open then the US's border with Mexico.

So you will complain about people dying from heroin, but would only put political pressure on Afghanistan to do something? Point out problem, but do nothing about it?

And how did the Taliban perform this crackdown? With soldiers.....

How would you propose the US do it then??..... Without soldiers.....

What the what?? You just said that the Taliban DID wipe out the poppy fields. Which is it? Impossible or not?

Yeah. Please read what I wrote again. I said by way of the chemical signature from manufacturing, or if you have the actual poppys, by way of DNA. You must not be reading what I wrote and jumping to conclusions.

You are right, and I've previously said if it was up to me, there would be no poppy fields.

I agree something needs to be done. I just don't think the US needs to be Policeman of the world in Afghanistan for the next 10 years to clean up the opium. Perhaps part of a UN taskforce to clean it up, but I don't want OUR guys being killed there to protect some Russian guy from using heroin.

There's all kinds of ways to discourage heroin plantations in Afghanistan. You can't destroy the earth. That's the most ridiculous way of all. What are you going to do? Start dropping bombs in perpetuity? Come on.

Whoa there. I didn't just show up complaining about heroin. I observed the usual petty complaints about Obamacare, the same droll as always, and weighed in. If we care about the affordability of health care in this country, our drug policies and foreign policies have been counterproductive to that goal for years now. Why the hell did we need a GOP bill to help get the heroin pills in peoples mouths? Why the hell did we need years of nation building in heroin-flooded Afghanistan? Am I the only one that can't find any better use of our money than that? What have I been suggesting we do about it? Stop doing what we're doing.

Got heroin coming in from Mexico? That is our business. Some nameless wannabe terrorist living in a hole in the ground 10,000 miles away? You tell me.

So they sit by and do nothing for the people they want to vote for them? Good logic. "Vote for me, I won't solve your problems." Nice bumper sticker that would make. Anyways, is that how the game goes now for republicans or any politician for that matter? If the other party broke it, just throw it in the trash and push it aside until they get voted in again and let them deal with it. Glad no rational people actually think like that. This country would be in shambles....

Hummm.... I'd not say they propose nothing. Republicans support a lot of what is in the ACA, because as has been said, it is very close to Romneycare. However it is in the legislation details, and the implementation, and the controls, where Republicans don't approve of what is being done.

Do you approve of people loosing their healthcare due to changes made by Obamacare? Millions of people loosing their healthcare... Do you approve of the massive use of funds to build a website that should have cost 10% of the final tally? Do you approve of those people who approved that massive expenditure for the website actually controlling and running the Federal End of Obamacare?

Hummm... Didn't Obama just push parts of the ACA to the side this month? So that there would be no bad press or ACA troubles with Small Business in 2014 before the elections. Or 2016 before the Presidential elections. Glad no rational person thinks that way....

Nope, not one thing in the ACA has ever been extended to make it someone elses problem..... (Sarcasm)

http://blogs.marketw...ension-not-one/

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

Why are you so angry? You voted for it didn't you?

Obviously, which is why I emphasized the numbers. Startraveler was blaming the unbearably slow performance on "a line around the block ", which is absurd in and of itself, and I wanted to show that Amazon could quickly, safely and securely process 27 million transactions in a single day so please stop with the "line around the block" BS.

You asked why people who've started the process but not completed it by today should get an extension. And the answer is that there are literally lines around the block for enrollment centers around the country this weekend.

There are physical places you can go to get help from navigators and other in-person assisters in seeing your options for any number of reasons--not having access to the internet on your own, unfamiliarity with insurance (a particularly large issue for the previously uninsured), uncertainty about what your financial situation means for assistance opportunities, etc.

Again, what point does shutting out those people (and others who aren't using in-person enrollment centers but otherwise aren't able complete the process by the end of the day) serve other than spite or mindless adherence to the GOP's newfound conviction that people getting insured is bad?

• Like 1

Hummm.... I'd not say they propose nothing. Republicans support a lot of what is in the ACA, because as has been said, it is very close to Romneycare. However it is in the legislation details, and the implementation, and the controls, where Republicans don't approve of what is being done.

Do you approve of people loosing their healthcare due to changes made by Obamacare? Millions of people loosing their healthcare... Do you approve of the massive use of funds to build a website that should have cost 10% of the final tally? Do you approve of those people who approved that massive expenditure for the website actually controlling and running the Federal End of Obamacare?

Hummm... Didn't Obama just push parts of the ACA to the side this month? So that there would be no bad press or ACA troubles with Small Business in 2014 before the elections. Or 2016 before the Presidential elections. Glad no rational person thinks that way....

Nope, not one thing in the ACA has ever been extended to make it someone elses problem..... (Sarcasm)

http://blogs.marketw...ension-not-one/

Here, didn't cost remotely close to what you said, you were only about 1.8 or so trillion off. So pretty close. And that's for the entire bill!! Not just the website. Here's how far you were off on that one; about, 1.99 trillion off. And that's the high ball website cost. Most sources state roughly $70 million. I used a $150 million high end figure, for your sake.

http://mediamatters.org/mobile/blog/2013/10/24/the-myth-of-the-634-million-obamacare-website/196585

They won't propose anything, because what they want to do is senseless and takes us back 50 years in healthcare. The new generation doesn't like that, hence the Republican Party being on the wane, and the republicans know this. They don't have a plan. End of story.

How many have actually lost their healthcare? Let's take a look shall we? Those who lost their coverage almost immediately got new coverage. The reason they lost it; it was garbage and didn't comply with the minimum specifications in the ACA. But now if you like your garbage you can keep it. But don't put it out for the republican trash man in 2016, and make the democrat trash man who was trying to pick it up recently look bad, will ya? Stop spinning it to make it look like these people are now uninsured or can't afford it. After all you're "forced" to buy it, so what gives? Not to mention it goes by your income, so no loss there either.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/wp/2014/03/17/boehners-claim-that-obamacare-has-resulted-in-a-net-loss-of-people-with-health-insurance/

It won't be someone else's problem, because there is no problem. If the republicans would accept the fact that their party just got a massive piece of dung pie thrown in their face, I'm sure things would have been smoothed over by now, but some people still insist on bringing up things that have been around for years. And by dung pie, I mean that's how the republicans feel, even though everyone else is enjoying watching it happen to them, and they can enjoy it too if they would just use chocolate next time.

Drop it. It's over. Your team lost. (If that's how you feel, and I'm 100% sure it is.) It's like a big game of who can win to you people. It's childish, asinine, and if your team keeps this junk up, never again will there ever be another republican in office, and you'll be constantly complaining for the rest of your life.

Edited by andy4

Again, what point does shutting out those people (and others who aren't using in-person enrollment centers but otherwise aren't able complete the process by the end of the day) serve other than spite or mindless adherence to the GOP's newfound conviction that people getting insured is bad?

Then why bother with deadlines at all? If we're going to put deadlines into the legislation, then we should live by those deadlines. If the deadlines need the ability to be extended, shouldn't that also be put into the legislation. Just throwing out a random number of days of extension smacks of bypassing Congress.