Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Raindrops are shaped like hamburger bun

Still Waters

The teardrop shape of a raindrop has been accepted as fact for generations and has even inspired songwriters over the years from Dee Clark to James Blunt.

But the American space agency has discovered that in reality raindrops are shaped rather like the rather more prosaic top of a hamburger bun, round at the top and flat at the bottom.

http://www.telegraph...rger-space.html

• Like 2

I would guess the tear-drop image comes from a drop drop of water leaving a surface.

If you look at a drop of water as it runs of a leaf it takes a tear-drop temporarily shape as it fall of the leaf. The upper half of the droplet is stretched as it tries to cling onto the leaf while the bottom expands in its new found freedom from the leaf. This is visible to the human eye and we could have taken the assumption that the droplet holds this shape while falling through the air from this.

Whether my idea of where the droplet shape came from is right or wrong in our art/media the classic raindrop will never be replaced with a burger shaped object (BSO) as we are to accustomed to what we think we already know.

@Daz, come on mate, read the article. Its not as droll as you might expect and fits nicely into the science section on UM.

I will have a double with cheese and bacon, fully dressed, thanks. Oh, and a Large curly fries also. Please, thank you.

How much was spent on this "research"?

You just have the "that money can be spend better"-card in your sleeve, don`t you?

Edited by toast
  • Like 1

Though this is a "second-tier" finding, to be sure, still, it illuminates our further understanding of Nature. Nothing wrong with that.

And not to forget that we have to thank the laws of physics here that raindrops have indeed the shape of a

hamburger bun but not the size of it. That´s important especially during winter times. :yes:

Edited by toast

Thanks to science there are fewer mysteries that can't be explained and fewer people accused of witchcraft.

• 2 weeks later...

Nasa finally figured out something I had said 26 years ago... when i was 12

If only you had promoted it on a world wide scale ;)

Thanks to science there are fewer mysteries that can't be explained and fewer people accused of witchcraft.

And here I was expecting some witch burnings that would be on par with 16th century intellects being beheaded for saying the Earth is round.